Removing Betrayal in Matchmaking

I hope I am not the only one that hates being killed by my own teammates just because I have a power weapon, when they might not have any knowledge or skill with the weapon that they betrayed me for.

Friendly Fire should only be in Custom Games (And if they bring back Social and Ranked playlists). If you and your friends want to be complete morons in Halo, I suggest playing on that mode instead of playing with others who might take the game seriously.

Social settings- Yes, people are playing to have fun, the last thing people want is being betrayed for a Shotgun.

Ranked settings- Maybe, while I can see the argument for it players should be careful enough to not kill their own teammates.

Or you could actually fight your teammates, physically…

> Or you could actually fight your teammates, physically…

And get booted out of the match for killing your teammate before they do. Which is what exactly happened to me during Invasion.

The option to boot should come the first time a betrayal happens.

Agreed. Hopefully 343i will realize how flawed the betrayal system is.

What if…just hear me out…

You could hold down some kind of button when you’re looking at someone to request a weapon trade, and disable the ability to kill an ally?

Maybe like you could do in the campaign with AI characters?

What if Halo 5 had a damage mirror system. That way you still have to be careful with your Shotgun… but YOU get penalized for YOUR mistake.

I completely agree with this thread.

I understand the arguments surrounding keeping friendly-fire in game, I really do, but when you consider the amount of times that it actually comes into play and justifies inclusion, and isn’t plain ignored, it isn’t worth it in my opinion.

Being betrayed for a variety of reasons, weapon-stealing, angry they didn’t get too a vehicle, plain old trolling happens far too frequently in matchmaking, and the system at the moment does nothing to rectify this…

Trolls know how to implement the system into getting you to kill them in retaliation and then boot you!!! The power lies in the betrayers hands, not the one who initially got killed. So I say remove FF in all but the truely competitive playlists (such as MLG etc).

I like the sound of mirror-damaging a lot.

Being killed by a teammate because you beat them to a vehicle or a weapon is one of the things that very quickly ruins a game for me, not just in Halo but in other games. I think punishment should be handed out but it doesn’t really solve the problem but then, how do you solve the problem of some people just can’t help being -Yoinks!- and get pleasure in ruining the game for everyone else?

Hmmmm. What if there was a system where if a teammate betrays you, you have one free betrayal just for that one person. That way, you can get your justice without getting kicked. Also, there is a waypoint over their head telling you where they are.

Obviously the logical option is for all weapons held by the person betrayed disappear so nobody can use them… And on top of that a betrayal system where if you’re notorious for betraying then the option to boot appears with the first betrayal…

> I completely agree with this thread.
>
> I understand the arguments surrounding keeping friendly-fire in game, I really do, but when you consider the amount of times that it actually comes into play and justifies inclusion, and isn’t plain ignored, it isn’t worth it in my opinion.
>
> Being betrayed for a variety of reasons, weapon-stealing, angry they didn’t get too a vehicle, plain old trolling happens far too frequently in matchmaking, and the system at the moment does nothing to rectify this…
>
> Trolls know how to implement the system into getting you to kill them in retaliation and then boot you!!! The power lies in the betrayers hands, not the one who initially got killed. So I say remove FF in all but the truely competitive playlists (such as MLG etc).
>
> I like the sound of mirror-damaging a lot.

No, keep friendly fire. Halo 4’s exclusion of it made matches a grenade and rocket fest. I like the extra challenge that FF has historically brought to Halo multiplayer.

As far as betrayals go, I say implement a “one strike and you’re out” policy, giving players the option to boot someone the first time a betrayal happens. Add a betrayal cam so the player can more easily determine whether it was an accident or not. I know some players will boot someone regardless, but I think this system is the lesser of several evils.

> What if Halo 5 had a damage mirror system. That way you still have to be careful with your Shotgun… but YOU get penalized for YOUR mistake.

I actually like the sound of that.

Friendly fire adds a basic depth to team and gameplay.
It discourages reckless lone wolf play but encourages to watch out and care for your team mates.
It discourages blind and thoughtless spray and pray but encourages to pay more attention to your actions and the surroundings which get affected by them.
And lastly it actually encourages you to communicate with your team mates, to work together as a team, so that accidental team kills do not happen.

With removing friendly fire you dumb the game down only because some people don’t understand what it means to play in a team, nor that on map weapons are weapons for the team and not for the individual, lack sportsmanship and apparently think the entire game has to focus and revolve around them alone.

In addition, personally, I think nothing of giving booting options to players. They do not solve or accomplish anything, at least not in a proper way, because a boot will always be heavily biased and anarchic as long as it boils down to a subjective decision of the direct “victim”.
Plus, the vast majority of betrayals are accidental and for accidental betrayals you always have to blame both sides because when they would have both payed more attention to their surroundings or would they even have communicated with each other, like one can fairly expect it from a team especially when a head-set comes as a standard issue, it very likely wouldn’t have happened in the first place.
So you cannot simply give the “victim” the option to boot a team mate when he/she is just as much to blame for the betrayal.

Besides, getting betrayed by some idiot for a weapon is more than annoying, I know that just as well, but the vast majority of gamers aren’t idiots who don’t have any understanding of the game or sportsmanship in general. Hence the vast majority of matches isn’t afflicted by them. They unfortunately just happen to be more memorable experiences than all the games with sportsmanlike team mates you had before.

However, when the implementation of a booting system is considered necessary then I think at least implement an objective one. An algorithm that keeps track of betrayals or “intentional team shooting” within a team that then either kicks a player automatically or alternatively gives every team member the option to decide between keeping or booting the specific member after analyzing and determining certain patterns.

Team damage and betrayal NEED to stay. It’s yet another reason why Halo is superior to other shooters; the tactical requirements the betrayal option adds is fantastic, and it helps alleviate cheapness/spamming.

> The option to boot should come the first time a betrayal happens.

Yes because that will tone down the ammount of times someone gets booted for getting an accidental betrayal. Turning betrayals off is a good idea in a way but they will stil l find ways to annoy team mates.

> > The option to boot should come the first time a betrayal happens.
>
> Yes because that will tone down the ammount of times someone gets booted for getting an accidental betrayal. Turning betrayals off is a good idea in a way but they will stil l find ways to annoy team mates.

Would it be better for that one teammate to be able to get away with killing you for your sniper?

I don’t think the solution is just to turn off friendly fire, as that would have poor consequences for the gameplay itself. I think the solution is to revamp the booting system to make it easier to boot troublemakers while minimizing the impact on accidental betrayals. For one, the system ought to be more capable of detecting the difference between accidental and purposeful betrayals.

I’m telling you guys, if the weapons dies with the betrayed then there is no incentive to betray.

> I’m telling you guys, if the weapons dies with the betrayed then there is no incentive to betray.

I would hate it if the Spartan Laser suddenly vanishes because the teammate who had it ran in front of my reticle as I was sniping and I accidentally killed him.