Remove the Score Cap

If you are not aware, Halo wars has a base score cap of 4000. This means the total max score is around 30,000. This thread is about removing that cap.

The first question your probably wondering is, why? 4000 score is plenty to win a game 10x. Whilst that may be true, there is a different kind of play-style that few people practice. That play-style is called Turtling.

Turtling is the act of fortifying your base to make it impenetrable, and to defeat every wave of enemy the enemy sends. Some people like me and my partner I play with, almost exclusively do this in Halo Wars.

The reason we want the cap removed is mostly so we can track our turtles, see what the highest score is, make new accounts and see how fast we can rank up, compete versus fellow turtlers, etc.

Anyway, the cap basically serves no purpose anyway, it was introduced to combat boosting, but honestly who boosts points in Halo Wars anymore? Anyway the people boosting would just start a new game and get the cap on that game and repeat, it doesn’t hinder them in really anyway.

This would also not be a lengthy update to do, would honestly take a few minutes at most.

Thanks for your time, post any queries you have here.

~ Insekz.

P.S If you have any questions about turtling in general, you can post them here.

> If you are not aware, Halo wars has a base score cap of 4000. This means the total max score is around 30,000. This thread is about removing that cap.

Most times in Release I’m forced to a 6.00 even though I didn’t lose any units, I’m thinking it’s because I use the hook, but maybe not and then max points are 24,000.

> The first question your probably wondering is, why? 4000 score is plenty to win a game 10x. Whilst that may be true, there is a different kind of play-style that few people practice. That play-style is called Turtling.

The quickest I get to 4000 points is about an hour and a half (only twice, once in a 1v1 with a friend, once in a 2v2 with friends). Cutting off points kinda motivates people playing online to finish their long game, wouldn’t you agree?

> Turtling is the act of fortifying your base to make it impenetrable, and to defeat every wave of enemy the enemy sends. Some people like me and my partner I play with, almost exclusively do this in Halo Wars.

You shouldn’t really last more than 2 attacks by a good player in a 1v1, maybe 500 points from an average game? The only people who will keep going for 30min+ against a defense only are people who are winning and low ranks without any knowledge of the game.

> The reason we want the cap removed is mostly so we can track our turtles, see what the highest score is, make new accounts and see how fast we can rank up, compete versus fellow turtlers, etc.

You’d have to save the link to the game’s URL on the website to show anyone.

> Anyway, the cap basically serves no purpose anyway, it was introduced to combat boosting, but honestly who boosts points in Halo Wars anymore? Anyway the people boosting would just start a new game and get the cap on that game and repeat, it doesn’t hinder them in really anyway.

Good point.

> This would also not be a lengthy update to do, would honestly take a few minutes at most.

It would involve changing values, and any time values are changed glitches can occur. Maybe they accidentally tweak it to only 400 points max, instead of an expansion to 40,000. Knowing the HW dev team, it could take weeks to fix.

The cap was put there because people were boosting all the way to high ranks just in one game when Halo Wars first came out.

Not only that, but a turtle really isn’t a competitive match. If you want to track the stats then go to the old Halo Wars website. That’s the reason why we fought to keep stat-tracking. It’ll give you far more info than the after action report.

> > If you are not aware, Halo wars has a base score cap of 4000. This means the total max score is around 30,000. This thread is about removing that cap.
>
> Most times in Release I’m forced to a 6.00 even though I didn’t lose any units, I’m thinking it’s because I use the hook, but maybe not and then max points are 24,000.

In standard the absolute cap is around 30,000 to 33,650, (I cant exactly remember the exact number at the moment

> > The first question your probably wondering is, why? 4000 score is plenty to win a game 10x. Whilst that may be true, there is a different kind of play-style that few people practice. That play-style is called Turtling.
>
> The quickest I get to 4000 points is about an hour and a half (only twice, once in a 1v1 with a friend, once in a 2v2 with friends). Cutting off points kinda motivates people playing online to finish their long game, wouldn’t you agree?

Well yeah, but once we hit the cap we normally just resign anyway (low trueskill), obviously the only way we can pull of long turtles is by vsing lower skilled players, anyway if they don’t want to be in the game, they are free to resign at any time they want, turtling can be a valid winning strategy by outlasting the enemy if you know what your doing and they don’t know what they’re doing. Anyway they once have said things which even support turtling, I remember reading a sentence saying “Get your super turtles ready!” or something along the lines of that, so they understand it happens.

> > Turtling is the act of fortifying your base to make it impenetrable, and to defeat every wave of enemy the enemy sends. Some people like me and my partner I play with, almost exclusively do this in Halo Wars.
>
> You shouldn’t really last more than 2 attacks by a good player in a 1v1, maybe 500 points from an average game? The only people who will keep going for 30min+ against a defense only are people who are winning and low ranks without any knowledge of the game.

That isn’t necessarily true. Even though I understand rank doesn’t mean anything in Halo Wars, we have had plenty of turtles against general/general teams or general/brigadier teams, who are obviously experienced at the game, and while we may not not always hit the cap against players like that, we still ALWAYS get at least halfway if we can fend off rushes/get the turtle set-up. No matter how experienced you are at this game, the turtle will still be difficult to break, even for the best players.

> > This would also not be a lengthy update to do, would honestly take a few minutes at most.
>
> It would involve changing values, and any time values are changed glitches can occur. Maybe they accidentally tweak it to only 400 points max, instead of an expansion to 40,000. Knowing the HW dev team, it could take weeks to fix.

When their job is making/maintening games, I doubt they would let a thing like that slip. They have done update which would take 100x the work than that.

> Not only that, but a turtle really isn’t a competitive match. If you want to track the stats then go to the old Halo Wars website. That’s the reason why we fought to keep stat-tracking. It’ll give you far more info than the after action report.

It can be if you decide to counter attack them, which we do sometimes, and we win.

Lol at turtling being a legitimate strategy.

> Lol at turtling being a legitimate strategy.

Don’t make assumptions on things that you don’t know what your talking about.

> > Lol at turtling being a legitimate strategy.
>
> Don’t make assumptions on things that you don’t know what your talking about.

I think you need to take your own advice, If you where good player then you would not turtle but rush your opponent and harass him.
Turtling is not hard to counter anyways! XD

this is called a super turtle lol:

http://www.halowars.com/stats/StatsGame.aspx?Id=11626113-0652-9709-8968-000000000000

i had 3 13* tanks lol.

and just to let u all know… good people do this just for fun, not as a real strategy. Basically you dominate the map early, then just star up your units by waiting for them to attack or just moving in, killing their army and backing off.

> > > Lol at turtling being a legitimate strategy.
> >
> > Don’t make assumptions on things that you don’t know what your talking about.
>
> I think you need to take your own advice, If you where good player then you would not turtle but rush your opponent and harass him.
> Turtling is not hard to counter anyways! XD

You assume I only turtle to try and win a game, no, we mainly do it for fun. Rushing gets old extremely fast. You feel some kind of satisfaction seeing wave after wave of enemies units dieing, and them making different units to see what is effective or not. Also about it being easy to counter, I’ve been in turtles lasting 6 and a half hours (this was before the score cap of course), and been in countless games where we have hit the base score cap of 4000, and not just against inexperienced/new players.

> this is called a super turtle lol:
>
> Halo - Official Site (en)
>
> i had 3 13* tanks lol.
>
> and just to let u all know… good people do this just for fun, not as a real strategy. Basically you dominate the map early, then just star up your units by waiting for them to attack or just moving in, killing their army and backing off.

Pretty much.

> Anyway, the cap basically serves no purpose anyway, it was introduced to combat boosting, but honestly who boosts points in Halo Wars anymore? Anyway the people boosting would just start a new game and get the cap on that game and repeat, it doesn’t hinder them in really anyway.

Lets face it it sounds like a good idea but it isnt going to happen. There is an achievement for reaching general rank so they wont bother changing the system.

> If you are not aware, Halo wars has a base score cap of 4000. This means the total max score is around 30,000. This thread is about removing that cap.
>
> The first question your probably wondering is, why? 4000 score is plenty to win a game 10x. Whilst that may be true, there is a different kind of play-style that few people practice. That play-style is called Turtling.
>
> Turtling is the act of fortifying your base to make it impenetrable, and to defeat every wave of enemy the enemy sends. Some people like me and my partner I play with, almost exclusively do this in Halo Wars.
>
> The reason we want the cap removed is mostly so we can track our turtles, see what the highest score is, make new accounts and see how fast we can rank up, compete versus fellow turtlers, etc.
>
>
> This would also not be a lengthy update to do, would honestly take a few minutes at most.
>
> Thanks for your time, post any queries you have here.
>
> ~ Insekz.

Why would you want to keep track of your turtling by points only? Depending on waht they send at you, your points could vary quite a large amount vs. # of units killed. Also, upgraded units are worth more than non upgraded.

The halo wars stat tracking system already gives you what you want: Time the game lasted, and units killed. Compare with your friends based on these 2 criteria. Besides, would you be impressed by a friend with a high score turtling if all his opponent built was warthogs? Use the stat tracking system and see who truly had a harder time turtling, and also who spent more time.

> > If you are not aware, Halo wars has a base score cap of 4000. This means the total max score is around 30,000. This thread is about removing that cap.
> >
> > The first question your probably wondering is, why? 4000 score is plenty to win a game 10x. Whilst that may be true, there is a different kind of play-style that few people practice. That play-style is called Turtling.
> >
> > Turtling is the act of fortifying your base to make it impenetrable, and to defeat every wave of enemy the enemy sends. Some people like me and my partner I play with, almost exclusively do this in Halo Wars.
> >
> > The reason we want the cap removed is mostly so we can track our turtles, see what the highest score is, make new accounts and see how fast we can rank up, compete versus fellow turtlers, etc.
> >
> > Anyway, the cap basically serves no purpose anyway, it was introduced to combat boosting, but honestly who boosts points in Halo Wars anymore? Anyway the people boosting would just start a new game and get the cap on that game and repeat, it doesn’t hinder them in really anyway.
> >
> > This would also not be a lengthy update to do, would honestly take a few minutes at most.
> >
> > Thanks for your time, post any queries you have here.
> >
> > ~ Insekz.
>
> Why would you want to keep track of your turtling by points only? Depending on waht they send at you, your points could vary quite a large amount vs. # of units killed. Also, upgraded units are worth more than non upgraded.
>
> The halo wars stat tracking system already gives you what you want: Time the game lasted, and units killed. Compare with your friends based on these 2 criteria. Besides, would you be impressed by a friend with a high score turtling if all his opponent built was warthogs? Use the stat tracking system and see who truly had a harder time turtling, and also who spent more time.

Meh I guess, but it’s still alot of fun seeing what the highest score we could get would be, even if that skews the data a little bit.

Yeah, itd be ideal if they would just show you the total score you really got, but only give you credit for 4000 points worth.

Still, I think that due to varying upgrades and army composition, points arent a great thing to judge high score by, but rather the numbr of units, and more importantly, what units.

One thing that sucks though, an opponent might leave after frustration, or begin to turtle himself, and your high score run would be ruined.

Still, I actually find this idea very interesting, and will attempt it myself tonight.

> Yeah, itd be ideal if they would just show you the total score you really got, but only give you credit for 4000 points worth.
>
> Still, I think that due to varying upgrades and army composition, points arent a great thing to judge high score by, but rather the numbr of units, and more importantly, what units.
>
>
> One thing that sucks though, an opponent might leave after frustration, or begin to turtle himself, and your high score run would be ruined.
>
> Still, I actually find this idea very interesting, and will attempt it myself tonight.

Yeah, thats a pretty good idea. Usually if one person leaves, we just resign anyway, since it isnt very fun or fair turtling against a single person. An interesting face though, in all of the games we have played, we have not ran into a single other person turtling, so that prooves its a pretty unique playstyle.

Goodluck with your turtle :stuck_out_tongue:

Man, 238 views 16 replies, lol.

Rank means nothing in this game, and the score cap got put in place to stop boosting.

> Rank means nothing in this game, and the score cap got put in place to stop boosting.

Rank means nothing = boosting for points means nothing = score cap means nothing?

Anyway were both general anyway, we dont need to rank up anymore.