Remove the color outlines

The red color outlines on enemies really ruins a lot of the flow. Yeah it makes it easier to see them, but it also covers up their armor, being able to hide around a corner so that the enemy doesn’t see you (or you can’t see them). It really takes away from how Halo has been played and is too bold, thick, and intrusive. And unnecessary. We already have armor colors. And in FFA, seeing something that moves = shoot it. Why do we need this obtrusive outlining? It’s incredibly distracting and it really blurs the Spartan I’m trying to shoot at. Big dislike.

The color outlines are “unique” I understand the reason behind them but they are intrusive and needs to be turned down or give an option to use legacy colors and have the classic red v.s. blue.

I wasn’t a fan of the outlines at all either it takes away from how stunning the models and textures are. I’m pretty confident that it was added so that we could tell which team people are on because they got rid of red vs blue. another change I’m not too thrilled about. ultimately you can blame it on this game being free to play, they had to make money somehow and that was by selling a battle pass, and why buy a battle pass if it doesn’t offer you interesting things like armour pieces and cool colour patterns, further more, what would be the point of getting the skins if everyone was either red, or blue.

> 2533274837714945;3:
> lol replied instead of editing

Yeah, I don’t like them either, I mix my friends and foes together, and it also looks really bad for immersion.

To be honest I understand the new change but red vs blue has been halos thing since it’s birth and as a long time halo fan and veteran I do believe it should stay that way “don’t fix that isn’t broken”. For example I love the colour blue (royal blue is the best) so my Spartan was that colour through the hole tech preview guess which team I was put on 90% of the time? RED because of this my team mates were shooting and meleeing me a lot thinking I was a bot. The only time they could tell is when my shields was hit and I glowed the team colours.

I whole-heartedly agree. I want Red Vs. Blue Spartans again!

Just mark our teammates. No need to even mark the enemy.

There are a number of these threads already and I agree with every single one of them.

> 2533274823402775;6:
> To be honest I understand the new change but red vs blue has been halos thing since it’s birth and as a long time halo fan and veteran I do believe it should stay that way “don’t fix that isn’t broken”. For example I love the colour blue (royal blue is the best) so my Spartan was that colour through the hole tech preview guess which team I was put on 90% of the time? RED because of this my team mates were shooting and meleeing me a lot thinking I was a bot. The only time they could tell is when my shields was hit and I glowed the team colours.

100% agree. They really should have focused on Firefight to -Yoink!- armour coatings. There is a game called Call of Duty Zombies, dunno if anyone has ever played it, its not a big deal or anything but if Halo Firefight borrowed some ideas from that game… hot damn, that would be crack -Yoink!- and everyone could use their armour coatings, while also enjoying the armour pieces in red/blue for PvP.

I agree with the OP, I don’t like the outlines either, at least persistent outlines that don’t go away. There is no reason the outlines should always be on the avatars. They should be dynamic and only used when the character is covered or behind something. Outside of that red or blue icons or Gamer tags over the head will do. Games like Battlefield and Destiny do a great job at this.

I know they didn’t put all this effort into customization just to have it ruined by outlines.

I hope they add more options:
No outlines = (icons or Gamer Tag over head only) or

Dynamic outlines = outlines only show when view of the character is blocked, when view of character is not blocked just icons or GT over the head. Similar to Battlefield and Destiny.

Your Team only icons: where only your team has above head GT or icon and the enemy team has nothing

And of course keep persistent outlines for those who prefer it.

Just have the service tag with a tiny triangle for team mates and enemy’s can have nothing…

> 2535440321166475;12:
> Just have the service tag with a tiny triangle for team mates and enemy’s can have nothing…

Exactly. I like the system so far with people having unique colors. It feels more natural and feels more mature in nature (don’t ask why cause idk). Anything like this will just improve it.

> 2535440321166475;12:
> Just have the service tag with a tiny triangle for team mates and enemy’s can have nothing…

It’s literally this easy

> 2535440321166475;12:

Best solution right here.

> 2533274798187381;1:
> The red color outlines on enemies really ruins a lot of the flow. Yeah it makes it easier to see them, but it also covers up their armor, being able to hide around a corner so that the enemy doesn’t see you (or you can’t see them). It really takes away from how Halo has been played and is too bold, thick, and intrusive. And unnecessary. We already have armor colors. And in FFA, seeing something that moves = shoot it. Why do we need this obtrusive outlining? It’s incredibly distracting and it really blurs the Spartan I’m trying to shoot at. Big dislike.

It’s literally so you can have your amour customization show without being forced a certain colour. This should be toggleable at best, definitely not removed because I think it’s an improvement.

I agree with what others have posted, here is my take:

1. Totally and completely remove all outlines and markers from enemies except from perhaps the pocketed overshield contrail. Even the pocketed invisibility shouldn’t require a contrail.

But how then can I tell they are enemies without RvB or outlines? See below

1. Keep player outlines for teammates. Not only does this distinguish teammates from enemy’s, I would argue fairly confidently that you can distinguish highlighted/non highlighted players more easily than differently highlighted players.

Such a mechanism makes sense for immersion/lore as well, not that such a thing is a priority, but it would make sense that at all times you have an outline for your teammates in your HUD, while you should have basically no knowledge or information on the enemy. As it should be.

An alternative to 2. would be to also remove highlights on teammates but double down on locater chevrons or call tags in such a way that identification is blatantly obvious. But that may be harder to implement ultimately.

To summarize, I hate how the HUD highlights literally everything for you, and to see people calling for more colored contrails for equipment makes me cringe. If I had it my way I would do away with weapon highlights (unless pinged or something), and the overly cartoonish contrails on grenades (both live and dead).

TLDR: Less is more!

The outlines are there to not intrude on player expression/monetization. You are supposed to spend money on cool paint jobs, and if you have a traditional Red vs Blue model, the incentive to buy shaders is low. Plain and simple.

Sounds like this is a deeply personal choice… so 343 just need to give us lots of options…

Line; Colours. Thickness. Opacity. Brightness.

Tags; Service and/or Gamer.

On / Off for friends and/or foes.

That way you can rock what works best for you.

Yeah lets REMOVE features because some dont like it.
Sounds pretty much like Bungie and 343 regarding removing features for EVERY installation of a Halo games, becasue… reasons. Weapons, different aestethics on say Forerunner structures ( Life workers/ Ecumene, Warrior servant/ Prometheans stylings etc ) different subspecies of brutes, elites, grunts… jackals Bungie and 343 did a great explanation there. Ruuthians, Ibeshans, T’voan sub species. Dont see ANY explanation regarding H2/ H3/ HW2-HI brutes…

Anyway!
Heres an stupid idea.
You see all the options we have in the SETTINGS menu?
Exactly, add a slider for outlines, from full intensity to OFF
And if you want them off, maybe add options for OTHER indications like you know… symbols, customize their appearance like shape colors.
Even ahve a combination of ONLY outlines for your teammates but only symbols for enemies.

Point, is WHY removing features, when you can have OPTIONS to have them or not??
That way 343 dosent have to waste resources and time to remove something they had been working on to get across.

Another thing!
Its about showing of your Spartan ( brutes, elites in the future? ) in what you have customized.
Yes, sure its like you are a walking promoting " billboard ". But just partly and only for say, coatings that are purchased with real money.
But also for appearance changes regarding stuff you have strived, worked for and such.
Remember, in past Halo games with forced team colors.
The only game modes you could show off your unique MP character were:
Free For All
Infection
Custom games
At least those are I can remember on the top of my head.

Added playlists/ game modes along with options in the settings, is IMO the optimal solution.
The compromise to say, want teamcolors?
Well heres a playlist aka 8 vs 8, 4 vs 4 with standard pre set team colors on your spartans armor.
The only catch is that that might undermine the whole outline/ coating system 343 works hard to set in stone.
But again, the option could be there.

• chugs coffee *

But this is my take. I try hard to find compromises, solutions and why nots? On aspects of gameplay, lore, canon etc. Its not easy.
I admire those who try exactly that with more knowledge, resources, insight than me. I just comes with my takes, instead of schreeching " REMOVEZ this B3cause I AHTE it! Or else IMZ M4ds, G3tts! "
Yes, yes exeggerating the critique. I see the point from the side it comes from.
But I point out the destructive outburst critiques, NOT the constructive ones.