Remove Synapse from Arena/Team Slayer (or fix it!)

In my opinion, Synapse is a decently laid-out map, but the framerate lag on anything but an optimal connection makes it unplayable at times. Unless you are playing with 7 players that live within 15 miles of you, the lag and framerate drops are unbearable. I lost my last Arena game today because the other team was lag-twitching around and eating my headshots.

I’m no Forge expert, but maybe there are too many phased objects or objects that chew up too much framerate. Maybe removing some objects could improve the framerate, much like how Sanctuary runs smoother than Asylum does.

Any opinions on this?

I think you are confusing frame rate lag with network latency. Synapse has always had good frame rate performance for me, even with a split screen. Certainly not to the point where players appear to skip around. You have to really overload a map to get that much of a frame rate drop. I think you just had the unfortunate coincidence of getting a bad host on the map.

Wayont and Tempest are the only MM maps I get significant frame rate drops on, and it’s only in certain sniping situations on Tempest.

> I think you are confusing frame rate lag with network latency. Synapse has always had good frame rate performance for me, even with a split screen. Certainly not to the point where players appear to skip around. You have to really overload a map to get that much of a frame rate drop. I think you just had the unfortunate coincidence of getting a bad host on the map.
>
> Wayont and Tempest are the only MM maps I get significant frame rate drops on, and it’s only in certain sniping situations on Tempest.

I’ve had a couple games where this has happened. Maybe I gave bad examples, but the framerate shudders I’m trying to explain happen when you scope-in near bases or cross-map out of your base on non-green bar connections. I guess it can be a product of playing on 75% Forge World maps in MM now.

On that note, I can’t wait to get 6 new non-Forge World maps with Halo CEA for Reach.

Remove all the Community maps i really dont like playing on them!

<4 <343

> > I think you are confusing frame rate lag with network latency. Synapse has always had good frame rate performance for me, even with a split screen. Certainly not to the point where players appear to skip around. You have to really overload a map to get that much of a frame rate drop. I think you just had the unfortunate coincidence of getting a bad host on the map.
> >
> > Wayont and Tempest are the only MM maps I get significant frame rate drops on, and it’s only in certain sniping situations on Tempest.
>
> I’ve had a couple games where this has happened. Maybe I gave bad examples, but the framerate shudders I’m trying to explain happen when you scope-in near bases or cross-map out of your base on non-green bar connections. I guess it can be a product of playing on 75% Forge World maps in MM now.
>
> On that note, I can’t wait to get 6 new non-Forge World maps with Halo CEA for Reach.

If you go into a custom alone and do the same thing, do you still see significant frame rate loss? That will tell you if the problem is the map or the connection. Frame rate loss is a major problem with many forged maps, and even some standard ones, but other than Wayont, none of the community maps added to MM seem to have major issues with it. That is one of the main things tested when community maps are vetted for lists.

> Remove all the Community maps i really dont like playing on them!
>
> <4 <343

So, just cause you don’t like them they should remove it? Perhaps they should change it or maybe you should download the map and get accustomed to it… just a thought

> Remove all the Community maps i really dont like playing on them!
>
> <4 <343

Play Squad Slayer then. I’m personally sick of playing the same 5 default maps repeatadly. I wish they’d introduce some Forge maps into Squad.

> > > I think you are confusing frame rate lag with network latency. Synapse has always had good frame rate performance for me, even with a split screen. Certainly not to the point where players appear to skip around. You have to really overload a map to get that much of a frame rate drop. I think you just had the unfortunate coincidence of getting a bad host on the map.
> > >
> > > Wayont and Tempest are the only MM maps I get significant frame rate drops on, and it’s only in certain sniping situations on Tempest.
> >
> > I’ve had a couple games where this has happened. Maybe I gave bad examples, but the framerate shudders I’m trying to explain happen when you scope-in near bases or cross-map out of your base on non-green bar connections. I guess it can be a product of playing on 75% Forge World maps in MM now.
> >
> > On that note, I can’t wait to get 6 new non-Forge World maps with Halo CEA for Reach.
>
> If you go into a custom alone and do the same thing, do you still see significant frame rate loss? That will tell you if the problem is the map or the connection. Frame rate loss is a major problem with many forged maps, and even some standard ones, but other than Wayont, none of the community maps added to MM seem to have major issues with it. That is one of the main things tested when community maps are vetted for lists.

I’m guessing I’d get my answer if I did that, lol. I know you’re heavily involved in testing new maps and such, so I’ll take your word for it.

I have a question, then. With the Xbox’s finitie capacity to process objects, does adding more players on a map ever cause frame-rate drops that wouldn’t be present if you just ran around on a map by yourself? Like how you can only play against 24 enemies at a time in Firefight or the cap for players in MM is 16?

Synapse is the best forged community map! They just need to do something about the framerate issues on every forged map.

> > > > I think you are confusing frame rate lag with network latency. Synapse has always had good frame rate performance for me, even with a split screen. Certainly not to the point where players appear to skip around. You have to really overload a map to get that much of a frame rate drop. I think you just had the unfortunate coincidence of getting a bad host on the map.
> > > >
> > > > Wayont and Tempest are the only MM maps I get significant frame rate drops on, and it’s only in certain sniping situations on Tempest.
> > >
> > > I’ve had a couple games where this has happened. Maybe I gave bad examples, but the framerate shudders I’m trying to explain happen when you scope-in near bases or cross-map out of your base on non-green bar connections. I guess it can be a product of playing on 75% Forge World maps in MM now.
> > >
> > > On that note, I can’t wait to get 6 new non-Forge World maps with Halo CEA for Reach.
> >
> > If you go into a custom alone and do the same thing, do you still see significant frame rate loss? That will tell you if the problem is the map or the connection. Frame rate loss is a major problem with many forged maps, and even some standard ones, but other than Wayont, none of the community maps added to MM seem to have major issues with it. That is one of the main things tested when community maps are vetted for lists.
>
> I’m guessing I’d get my answer if I did that, lol. I know you’re heavily involved in testing new maps and such, so I’ll take your word for it.
>
> I have a question, then. With the Xbox’s finitie capacity to process objects, does adding more players on a map ever cause frame-rate drops that wouldn’t be present if you just ran around on a map by yourself? Like how you can only play against 24 enemies at a time in Firefight or the cap for players in MM is 16?

I’m not too clear on how much of a factor that is. Usually, if a map is good by itself without player models, adding players doesn’t seem to add problems. I’ve never seen it happen that way anyway. Usually frame rate loss can be seen without players in the game if it is the maps fault, and all community maps added to MM should be able to handle split screen play pretty well. The problem becomes is once you start adding players, it’s extremely hard to tell the difference between loss in frames, and a latency/connectivity problems. I do know that if you see players skipping around the screen on community maps that are currently in MM, you have an issue going on that isn’t just map rendering, because none of them are that bad, even with a split screen.

I really wish BUNGIE wouldn’t have half–Yoinked!- new maps by getting the community to do them, u can tell they just got SOOOO lazy in Reach’s development cycle, they only did one map pack which was hella average, and 343 did the other which was pretty good, but some were to big to play on other game types. I hope 343 still gives us more map packs before or after Halo CEA comes out…