Remove Sword Base from Arena

This map is not fit for competitive play, and arguably any style of play; due to poor design and weapon balance.

The yellow lift room is camped to an extent that it would leave me hoping that ONI was strategically placed near a intergalactic marshmallow factory to feed all of the campers.
Shotgun and sword on the same part of the map, really?

Discuss how awful this map is.

I take it, without JP it has become more unbalanced?

> I take it, without JP it has become more unbalanced?

I didn’t play Arena then, but just as a guess.

Yeah.

The map is awful from a design standpoint, and I’m rather shocked that people even vote for it.

I’m surprised that it gets voted because that Map breeds Campers especially with Shotty/Sword.

Doesn’t bother me. I usually get sword and sniper and do work from top red lift near the stairs. I’ll push green lift if I need to to clean up with sword, then push back across the bridge to stairs.

With the grenade launcher and the multitude of grenades there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to stick someone sword charging you or camping lifts. Also, if you’re killed by someone camping the lift speak up on your mic and tell your team to NOT use that lift. All it takes is one sentence.

Side note: I like symmetrical maps tons more, but all maps have their issues, just play and enjoy (if possible).

I dislike that map. In Swat, Slayer and Arena the yellow (I call it green) lift room is camped with the Sword, Shotgun or just plain camped. Most action takes place at that hallway because people fight for it.

I would not be hurt in the least for its removal.

> I dislike that map. In Swat, Slayer and Arena the yellow (I call it green) lift room is camped with the Sword, Shotgun or just plain camped. Most action takes place at that hallway because people fight for it.
>
> I would not be hurt in the least for its removal.

I would love to see the heatmap.

Yellow lift room would be black while the rest of the map would be largely untouched. They shoould replace it with Anchor 9 and Condemned.

> > I dislike that map. In Swat, Slayer and Arena the yellow (I call it green) lift room is camped with the Sword, Shotgun or just plain camped. Most action takes place at that hallway because people fight for it.
> >
> > I would not be hurt in the least for its removal.
>
> I would love to see the heatmap.
>
>
> Yellow lift room would be black while the rest of the map would be largely untouched. They shoould replace it with Anchor 9 and Condemned.

Click the drop down menu and choose Sword Base

The Yellow lift is full up red.

> I take it, without JP it has become more unbalanced?

Does it matter?

yes! If you have Jetpack, you can bounce up from the Red Spawn and bypass the hallway choke-point. If you have microphones and coordinate from the top bridge, you can turn the ambush into a nightmare.

> > I take it, without JP it has become more unbalanced?
>
> Does it matter?

For the sake of conversation, yes it matters, for 98% of Reach players, no, not a big deal =/

Yellow room camped? Dont go up the lift. Theres a huge bouncy in the middle of the map that can put you anywhere you want on the first level, and a red lift on the other side. That wasnt so hard was it?

Sword base was built for jetpack as a show piece for the much greater verticality Reach multiplayer has. However without jetpack it becomes very easy to take the top and hold it.

But isnt that what you people wanted? Youve complained about map control since the beginning. WHERES MAH MAP CONTROL, you said. Well now you have it.

Why are you complaining? Does complaining feel good?

Could it be that every little thing kids claim they want in Reach is in fact a double-edged sword?

> Yellow room camped? Dont go up the lift. Theres a huge bouncy in the middle of the map that can put you anywhere you want on the first level, and a red lift on the other side. That wasnt so hard was it?
>
> Sword base was built for jetpack as a show piece for the much greater verticality Reach multiplayer has. However without jetpack it becomes very easy to take the top and hold it.
>
> But isnt that what you people wanted? Youve complained about map control since the beginning. WHERES MAH MAP CONTROL, you said. Well now you have it.
>
> Why are you complaining? Does complaining feel good?
>
> Could it be that every little thing kids claim they want in Reach is in fact a double-edged sword?

Cool strawman/ad hominem attack.

Except for they still have height advantage if you take center grav.

I’ve been calling Sword Base the worst designed map of 2010 since the Reach beta?

Sword Base and Uncaged just need to be removed from everything. They are the two worst maps in the game.

Fatal Factor laying down some truth.

Why don’t we have some map specific gametypes? Obviously Sword base doesn’t work well without jetpack, and is meant for jet pack…why not have it for that map? It’s hard to break map control with an ability in there. Everyone camps yellow/break room, which are ROOMS. Jet pack there and you just hit the ceiling.

Right listen the hell up. You guys who say you dont like sword base, uncaged and all that crap… i got something to tell ya!!! Grow some balls and play the game. The only reason you dont like these maps is because you cant play on them/get killed a ton of times. Get used to it. Thats reach for ya. Dont like it, dont play it. 343 are NOT gonna change a few measly maps just because they get a minor group of little whiners who cant get kills on certain maps.

Grow up. Kills happen. You cant like everything in life. And last but not least quit it with your f-ing whining about not liking maps.

Telling people to grow some balls behind a light screen isn’t helping your argument. Besides, your logic is nothing but nonsense and can’t be taken seriously. Give me…no, give us a reason why we should take to heart what you say. Quit with the insults dude, if you wanna troll and act like a tough guy, you can always go to -Yoink!-. I also hope you’re well aware of the fact that the forums are here to take people’s complaints just as much as they’re here for the sake of Reach fans having a good conversation about playing barbie dress-up with their Spartans or whatever the heck it is that they want to talk about.

Where there’s a positive, there’s a negative. You can’t tell people to just brush off the mistakes others have made. You especially can’t do that with game companies such as 343i, otherwise, they may not learn from others or their very own mistakes when making maps for their Halo 4 game.

OP, I whole-heartily agree with you. Sword Base is one of the most unbalanced maps that have seen the light of day. Who knows why people vote for it every time it comes up? It could be a map made for stat-padding players considering how easy it is to die on that map. A lot of players have stated just about every issue with Sword Base. The “Cons” definitely outweigh the “Pros”, there’s no getting around that. Sword Base has gone through a few updates, doesn’t help much,however, because the spawns are what kill the map the most.

> Telling people to grow some balls behind a light screen isn’t helping your argument. Besides, your logic is nothing but nonsense and can’t be taken seriously. Give me…no, give us a reason why we should take to heart what you say. Quit with the insults dude, if you wanna troll and act like a tough guy, you can always go to -Yoink!-. I also hope you’re well aware of the fact that the forums are here to take people’s complaints just as much as they’re here for the sake of Reach fans having a good conversation about playing barbie dress-up with their Spartans or whatever the heck it is that they want to talk about.
>
> Where there’s a positive, there’s a negative. You can’t tell people to just brush off the mistakes others have made. You especially can’t do that with game companies such as 343i, otherwise, they may not learn from others or their very own mistakes when making maps for their Halo 4 game.
>
> OP, I whole-heartily agree with you. Sword Base is one of the most unbalanced maps that have seen the light of day. Who knows why people vote for it every time it comes up? It could be a map made for stat-padding players considering how easy it is to die on that map. A lot of players have stated just about every issue with Sword Base. The “Cons” definitely outweigh the “Pros”, there’s no getting around that. Sword Base has gone through a few updates, doesn’t help much,however, because the spawns are what kill the map the most.

Actually lad, i would say you are the one speaking nonsense. Yes the map is slightly unbalanced BUT if you take the time to understand the map and it specific locations, e.g. spawn points, weapon spawns and camp zones, it is a very easy map to master. I personally hated and still do hate the map. But only because the spawn points are unbalanced. For example blue spawn is closer to sword whereas red spawn is close to both grenade launcher and shotgun. BUT as i have said live with the minor setbacks of the maps. 343 are not gonna change the map for a few whiners when they have halo 4 to work on. and besides if you dont like a map, do what i did… vote for it all the time and get better at it. Or go to a custom game and get used to weapon spawns, grenade spawns, etc. Lets just say people who camp in the yellow lift room… no problem for me because i know how to deal with them through playing the map over and over again. Practice makes perfect. but if you dont like a map, dont moan about it coz 343 are too busy to even think of changing 1 or 2 maps minorly just for the sake of a few people that cant understand the complexity behind them

I have no idea why, but the word “perfect” always seems to irk me, however, I digress. From what I’m reading in what you’ve just stated, you agree with me and the OP that the map is unbalanced. Mastering the map? Not hard, it’s like any other map, get to higher ground, control the power weapons, you’re basically guaranteed map control as long as your team is capable of good communication. Spawns give red team this at the very instant the game starts, which in no way could ever make it a competitive map due to that sole reason. Actually, to be honest, you need little to no communication to control a map like Sword Base.

Both of us hate the map, okay, we have more common ground than what was originally thought. Change can happen, for better or for worse, but I always hope for the better. I also agree doing nothing but moan and complain is silly and should not be taken so seriously. However, there have been people that have given well, thought out arguments about this map and why it should be changed or removed. The only reason it could ever stay in all honesty is for the fact that there are people that find it fun. Casuals PoV = map being fun. Competitive PoV = map being crap.

OP’s thread is about the map being horrible for Arena, which is supposed to be a competitive players playground. I bet he doesn’t care about it so much from a casuals PoV, but as a competitive player, he will chew this map up into mush and what not and spit into a jar because it is indeed terrible for competitive game play.

Another issue is the fact that the map comes up way too often. We need more choices than Sword Base and one other map every voting round.

Not trying to make either of us seem like a(n)(insert bad insult here), but you cannot tell people to just go on and act like the game is great or the game is bad due to one map, ya’ know?

> Right listen the hell up. You guys who say you dont like sword base, uncaged and all that crap… i got something to tell ya!!! Grow some balls and play the game. The only reason you dont like these maps is because you cant play on them/get killed a ton of times. Get used to it. Thats reach for ya. Dont like it, dont play it. 343 are NOT gonna change a few measly maps just because they get a minor group of little whiners who cant get kills on certain maps.
>
> Grow up. Kills happen. You cant like everything in life. And last but not least quit it with your f-ing whining about not liking maps.

False. I usually do okay on Sword Base and Uncaged. I’m just stating facts that Sword Base and Uncaged are terrible competitive maps. This is Arena, a competitive playlist, not Living Dead. Don’t like it? Grow some balls and play something else.