remove Battle rifle recoil

In the First Look video released this week, it appears that there is recoil on the battle rifle. It was said that this recoil is predictable, but as member of the more competitive side of the Halo community, I still do not believe that a moving gun is appropriate for the best competitive play, if this recoil is similar to the Halo 2 SMG recoil like I think it is.

What made the Halo 2 and 3 BR so good was its consistency. Whoever made the better play in the 10 seconds before the BR battle would be in a position where they were one shot up, and due to the consistency of the gun, they would win and be rewarded for their better decision-making. The gun was consistent because when shields were down, the player could sweep a 3 shot burst across the head and only need one bullet of the 3 to hit for the kill. Therefore, missing 1 or 2 bullets wouldn’t randomize who got a kill between two players: one of which made a better decision in the 10 seconds before the battle and one who made a worse decision.

With the DMR, missing one bullet negates the reward of better decision making. One can argue that a player should not miss, but in Halo, between jumping, crouching, strafing, and ghandi-hopping, no player, even a pro can expect to consistently hit every shot in a DMR battle to guarantee the kill when they have made a better play to put themselves in a position where they are one shot up.

Having said that, the easiest main gun to use is the best for competitive play. Having to pull down recoil between jumping and autoaim will NOT BE PREDICTABLE and will be randomizing. I think the BR should not have recoil, if this recoil is like the Halo 2 SMG like I think it is.

I think the competitive community would have made more noise about this but that they overlooked it because it was made unclear and because of their blinding excitement over the return of the BR at all which I share. But. I think this issue should be brought up, and that the competitive community would strongly prefer a no recoil BR if they were able to play with both.

i don’t see a problem with it if its predictable unlike bloom.

I hadn’t realised you have already played Halo 4 OP. What’s the campaign like?

Oh wait. Don’t complain about things you haven’t even tried. Makes you look childish.

lol

even though this recoil would add a skill cap to the gun, instead you want it taken out.

trust me everyone if sprint got the axe, this would be the next hot topic.

So you’re complaining that they’re making the BR actually taking skill?

P.S. You haven’t played the game, stop complaining, seriously, it’s pathetic.

I’ve always hated recoil in any game. I hope it is not like the SMG, and goes back down after the burst.

And to the people saying don’t complain because you haven’t played the game…what is wrong with you? We have seen gameplay and have had confirmation of game mechanics. Recoil is a well defined mechanic in FPS’s so of course you can make arguments without playing the game.

Stop being moronic.

I couldn’t quite comprehend your whole post, but I agree that the BR shouldn’t have recoil. The reason it’s there, the only reason, is to hinder good players. If I have perfect aim why should I have to re-adjust after each burst? Why should I be punished for having good aim? Furthermore:
> has a BR
> aims at chest
> fires
> gets a headshot
> Yay!

And I’m sorry, but the people saying “you can’t judge because you haven’t played it yet; you’re only making yourself look stupid” are the ones looking odd and misinformed. Perhaps you should look up the definition of recoil. We have words to describe things for a reason. Oh, and experience with other games might help you understand the mechanic a bit more.

> I couldn’t quite comprehend your whole post, but I agree that the BR shouldn’t have recoil. The reason it’s there, the only reason, is to hinder good players. If I have perfect aim why should I have to re-adjust after each burst? Why should I be punished for having good aim? Furthermore:
> > has a BR
> > aims at chest
> > fires
> > gets a headshot
> > Yay!
>
> And I’m sorry, but the people saying “you can’t judge because you haven’t played it yet; you’re only making yourself look stupid” are the ones looking odd and misinformed. Perhaps you should look up the definition of recoil. We have words to describe things for a reason.

I would think this would hurt the bad players more seeing a good player would be able to control the predictable recoil. they would just bash the trigger and hoping for the best.

Each their own then. I’m somehow going to be wrong.

Recoil is actually one of the things that could improve the game if implemented correctly. It’s better than bloom for sure and it could possibly be better than spread if they implement it right.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not flame/attack others.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

> I couldn’t quite comprehend your whole post, but I agree that the BR shouldn’t have recoil. The reason it’s there, the only reason, is to hinder good players. If I have perfect aim why should I have to re-adjust after each burst? Why should I be punished for having good aim?

If your so “good” then recoil shouldnt be a problem.

It doesnt matter if a regular old joe shmoe fires a weapon or a genetically enhanced super soldier does, there will be recoil either way. It doesnt matter how much you complain, BR recoil isnt going ANYWHERE except into Halo 4.

This is just amazing that someone would say something so rediculous, I can understand someones frustrations with bloom, but recoil? wow your pathetic

We haven’t even seen it in action.

And yet you are complaining.

> Recoil is actually one of the things that could improve the game if implemented correctly. It’s better than bloom for sure and it could possibly be better than spread if they implement it right.

If they wanted to nerf the BR at long range why not just let the bullets magically “disappear” in a puff of smoke after x meters? That’s what bloom and spread were meant to do; make the BR/DMR less proficient at long range, and they did, at the cost of making the weapons random. If they don’t want the BR being used for long range combat I don’t see why they don’t make the BR incapable of long rang combat. Instead they just love to shove gimmicks on it that make the gun less punishing when used incorrectly.

Halo 3 - BR had random spread, which sometimes rewarded players with “hits” when their aim was off.

Reach - DMR had bloom, which was just flat out random; didn’t matter where you aimed, your bullets would hit.

Halo 4 - BR recoil. Aim at chest/neck, get a headshot.

The optimal way of aiming the BR in Halo 3/2 was to fire 3 bursts into the chest, and then aim the 4th burst at the head. In halo 2’s case, if your aim was true you got the 4 shot. In Halo 3’s… flip a coin and we’ll see what happens. However, I could very well see the optimal way of firing the BR in Halo 4 to be constantly firing at the chestal area, as the recoil will bring it up to your opponents head on the 2nd or 3rd bullet. Just keep firing at that chest buddy, the game will give you the headshot…

…You haven’t even played the f**king game yet. Why don’t you wait, and then pms over every single detail about the game.

I already replied to your post over at the MLG forums. Honestly I think its just a speculation. Bottom line: Nothing can be worse then bloom. Again i will point out that BR Recoil will be “Predictable and Suppressible” Meaning you can predict where the recoil will go, and you can suppress it accordingly.

No, keep the recoil. I like it.

> I think the competitive community would have made more noise about this but that they overlooked it because it was made unclear and because of their blinding excitement over the return of the BR .

The majority of the competitive community, and the community over at MLG forums (from what I understand anyway) don’t have a problem with recoil. Really the only person I’ve seen complaining about it is Cursed Lemon, but he complains about everything.

I think it should be that the inner reticle (dot inside the circle) that goes up as the recoil and not the whole reticule. This was annoying with the SMG because a SPARTAN firing a submachine gun would point his gun at the ceiling because of its recoil and stay there until you looked down. If you see the inner target move up a little, you know that its going up and so where to aim to counter this recoil and watching it safely go back down after the burst.

So you can have battle rifle (or Combat Rifle as i’ve seen) duels and marksmanships without worrying where your bullet will go.

> I think it should be that the inner reticle (dot inside the circle) that goes up as the recoil and not the whole reticule. This was annoying with the SMG because a SPARTAN firing a submachine gun would point his gun at the ceiling because of its recoil and stay there until you looked down. If you see the inner target move up a little, you know that its going up and so where to aim to counter this recoil and watching it safely go back down after the burst.
>
> So you can have battle rifle (or Combat Rifle as i’ve seen) duels and marksmanships without worrying where your bullet will go.

That “dot” inside the circle only appeared when you were aiming at an enemy’s head.

> > I think the competitive community would have made more noise about this but that they overlooked it because it was made unclear and because of their blinding excitement over the return of the BR .
>
> The majority of the competitive community, and the community over at MLG forums (from what I understand anyway) don’t have a problem with recoil. Really the only person I’ve seen complaining about it is Cursed Lemon, but he complains about everything.

^ yeah

Also hates the BR etc.

The halo 4 sprint topic only hit like 3 pages on that forum lol

> > I couldn’t quite comprehend your whole post, but I agree that the BR shouldn’t have recoil. The reason it’s there, the only reason, is to hinder good players. If I have perfect aim why should I have to re-adjust after each burst? Why should I be punished for having good aim? Furthermore:
> > > has a BR
> > > aims at chest
> > > fires
> > > gets a headshot
> > > Yay!
> >
> > And I’m sorry, but the people saying “you can’t judge because you haven’t played it yet; you’re only making yourself look stupid” are the ones looking odd and misinformed. Perhaps you should look up the definition of recoil. We have words to describe things for a reason.
>
> I would think this would hurt the bad players more seeing a good player would be able to control the predictable recoil. they would just bash the trigger and hoping for the best.
>
> Each their own then. I’m somehow going to be wrong.

The point is I want to fight human opponents, not the game.

If Halo 4’s BR is a 4sk then on my fourth burst I aim at the head, and because my opponent is terrible at strafing, my first bullet hits. I adjust for my opponents slight movement between bullets and my 2nd bullet misses. Not because my aim was off, not because my opponent strafed well, not because my opponent tried dodging by jumping or ducking, but because the game wants to hinder me and pulls the reticle up without my consent, in the vein of making me miss and in this case it very well does do that. My problem with recoil is that I’m fighting the game, not the opponent.

Make strafing crisp, ducking fast and responsive, jumping too, and then you have more than enough tools to dodge your opponents’ fire without the game having to do it for you.