Remember people, Halo 4 is a new game...

Now before you read this I just want to say that this is all based on my theories and speculation about Halo 4. We don’t have much information about Halo 4 at the moment, but as a huge fan of both Halo’s gameplay and story, this is what I think:

Since Halo 4’s announcement I’ve seen a lot of people making threads and asking for what weapons and vehicles they’d like to see return in Halo 4 and it made me think. At the end of Halo 3, the Chief and Cortana are in the back half of the “Forward Unto Dawn” heading towards a, what I presume to be, Forerunner planet (or planetoid). For this reason I highly doubt that we’ll see any of the Covenant weapons/vehicles until Halo 5 or 6 as so far it seems like that most, if not the whole of Halo 4 will probably take place inside this planet. We haven’t been told that we won’t be fighting the Covenant (or any of the speices that made up the Covenant) but we have been told that we’ll be fighting a new enemy, which we know nothing about.

343 seem to be trying to replicate Halo CE’s original feeling. You’re marooned on an alien world fighting off a new and mysterious (at the time) enemy. It’s going to be a brand new exprience, but it’ll still feel like the Halo we all know and love.

Take the Halo 4 Warthog for example. It looks like a Warthog and, even though I haven’t driven it or even seen it in gameplay yet, it still feels like a Warthog (to me at least). Now the big thing here is that the Halo 4 Warthog has changed more between Halo 4 and Halo Reach than the Warthog has in the last 10 years, but yet it still feels like a Warthog.

I think we’ll get the bare basics of human weapons and vehicles (basically all the human weapons from Combat Evolved) BUT I think they’ll be heavily updated, just like the Warthog.

Assault Rifle
Pistol
Shotgun
Sniper Rifle
Rocket Launcher
Frag Grenade

Warthog
Scorpion
Pelican

Those were all the human weapons and vehicles in CE. Now apart from those, the only other weapons I can see returning are the Battle Rifle and the SMG. I think the rest of the vehicles and weapons are going to be brand new.

That’s it for the human side of things, but what about our enemy?

We’ve been told we’re going to be fighting a new enemy, so this obviously means brand new weapons and vehicles. My guess is that they’ll feel similar to the old Covenant stuff that we’ve been seeing for the last 10 years but they’ll also have thier own feeling. For example, we’ll probably have a new alien flying vehicle that will replace the Banshee and a new tank that will fill in the Wraith’s spot. And if we’re fighting a new enemy they’re going to have to fill the Covenant-shaped shoes of thier predecessors. There’s also going to have to be new enemies similar to ones we’ve fought before (Grunts, Elites, Jackals).

I just wanted to post this to tell people that they shouldn’t get their hopes up about having every weapon and vehicle return in Halo 4 (especially the Covenant ones) but to expect some old favourites along with a whole selection of brand new weapons and vehicles, both huamn and Alien. They’re trying to make it feel like a brand new game BUT make it feel like a Halo game, and so far, it’s working.

What do you guys think?

I completely agree.

Not only does it seem like 343i is taking that path, it would also make more sense.

The community has been begging for a more mysterious, exploring feel ever since H2 (because non of the Halo sequels had that). And in terms of story it would also make sense to let H4 be just about Chief and Cortana, with a bare minimum of UNSC weapons and vehicles (and no communications with Earth or any other UNSC element). It would make us feel like a small gear in a new exciting world again.

And it would be up to H5 to blow the scale of the story to a bigger size and introduce more familiar things like ex-Covies and more, new, UNSC weaponry.

It’s also a smart thing of 343i to do. Including some basic elements from Halo’s familiar weaponry makes it look and feel like Halo, but won’t take away from the larger amount of new things 343i has come up with themselves.
It is a new series, and 343i should put their own mark on it. Taking the approach OP and I suggest (or suspect) is the best way to do so.

I think at some point in the campaign we’ll see the covenant :confused:

In Forge - I really fricking hope they have everything in there, the more we have in Forge the better i think.

This is one of the very very few threads that I COMPLETELY agree with the OP. you said everything I always wanted to say.
I saw a lot of people saying “I want BR back”, or “I want that covenant vehicle back”, but I think everyone should expect something totally new in most aspects.

@DirtyPillowTalk
There is no covenant. if we’re supposed to see an old enemy, they will be elites (and I doubt that too).

> I think at some point in the campaign we’ll see the covenant :confused:
>
> In Forge - I really fricking hope they have everything in there, the more we have in Forge the better i think.

Remember, unlike Bungie’s Halo trilogy where they made the story for each game after they released the previous one, 343 have already planned the Reclaimer Trilogy so there’s a high chance that they’ve already got the overall story for Halo 5 and 6.

Seeing as there’s a new enemy in Halo 4, they’re probably going to spend the whole game building up this new enemy and explaining them. Of course we’ll hear a bit about the Covenant in some way or another but I don’t think we’ll see them until later in the trilogy. We don’t need to see the Covenant. They’d only be a distraction at this point in the trilogy.

As for Forge, don’t get your hopes up. We don’t need everything to make a good map.

I think we’re still going to see them, whether it’s a distraction or not.

We don’t NEED everything to make a good map, but if we do have everything the Forge will be able to cater to more people and make them happy.

> Warthog

I hope it actually looks like this in Halo 4 :wink:

> I think we’re still going to see them, whether it’s a distraction or not.
>
> We don’t NEED everything to make a good map, but if we do have everything the Forge will be able to cater to more people and make them happy.
>
>
>
> > Warthog
>
> I hope it actually looks like this in Halo 4 :wink:

Well, like I said, Halo 4 will probably take place on the planet only, just like Halo CE took place on Halo the whole game (Except for the first mission, which was on the PoA… maybe the first mission will be on the Dawn?). My guess is that the overall objective of the game will be to get off of the planet or something, so unless a Covenant ship has been sucked into the planet I doubt we’ll see any of the other species until Halo 5.

Also, I don’t see the point in having a lot of guns from the previous games if there is a weapon really similar to it. For exmaple, there’d be no point in having the Battle Rifle and the DMR in the same game because they’re basically the same. All they need is a weapon/vehicle to fill in every role.

PS: That is what the Halo 4 Warthog’s going to look like :slight_smile:

> This is one of the very very few threads that I COMPLETELY agree with the OP. you said everything I always wanted to say.
> I saw a lot of people saying “I want BR back”, or “I want that covenant vehicle back”, but I think everyone should expect something totally new in most aspects.

Agreed.

Also, I don’t understand why people want to fight the Covenant so much. We’ve fought them for 10 years and I’m glad we’ve got someone new to fight (especially if they’re as powerful as the Covenant, seeing as we’re probably going to be fighting them for for Halo 5 and 6 too). I can’t wait to see how different they are to the Covenant too. Each Faction in Halo has thier own style (Humans, Covenant, Flood, Forerunners). What will these new enemies look like? What kind of weapons will they use?

One of the main things I’m looking forwards to seeing is the types of enemies. Halo has different classes/types of enemies within the factions for example the Covenant has Grunts, Elites, Jackals etc. and seeing as we’re fighting a new enemy, that means that they’re going to have to fit the roles of each Covenant unit. So thies eather means that they’re a group of species like the Covenant or that they’re one species with different forms (like the Flood) OR they’re robotic. There’s so many possibilities.

I’m really glad that we get to see something completley new. As a huge fan of the story I can’t wait to see what 343 are going to do with this new trilogy. People need to stop asking for the old and start asking for the new. 343 know what to keep from the old Halo games.