Remakes, A Classic Playlist And Halo 4

Note: I am not a Halo fan in name only. I have played Halo CE and Halo 2 with my cousins for years. I started playing Halo 3 on XBL around when Halo Wars came out. I was a Lieutenant Grade 2 on one account. On this I am nearly a Commander in Reach and I adamantly love this series. I have beaten Halo CE and Halo 2 on Heroic Solo, Halo 3 on Legendary, Reach . . . not really, ODST I have beat on Legendary Solo twice. I am not the most committed fan, but I am one nonetheless.

I welcome the changes in Halo 4. Ever since the first Modern Warfare, shooters have tried to expand not only cosmetic customization of their characters, but actual game-changing customization as well. Arena shooters have started to fade away. Instead of running for power weapons, we now have actual customization in the name of player empowerment. The fact that Halo 4 will have Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades does not concern me. But it does concern other veteran players and the Halo community will be weakened if those players aren’t satisfied.

One mistake that Reach did was the unfettered implementation of Halo 2 remakes into it’s game. Hemorrhage, Pinnacle and Reflection were maps that worked unevenly with the Reach sandbox, especially armor abilities. Don’t get me wrong, Halo 2 is great. But I hate it when so many fans clamor for Halo 2 remakes such as Waterworks, Relic, etc.

343i did a very good job implementing the Anniversary playlist into Halo: Reach. It’s my favorite to play simply because the sandbox works. It’s a very faithful representation of our interests as Halo fans. Though absolutely despise playing on Penance (Damnation), it’s the best addition to Reach.

What 343i needs to do, in my humble opinion, is to replicate what they did with the Anniversary playlists into Halo 4. Just have a classic playlist, classic arena shooter style, rush to get power weapons type of gameplay. This I think would satisfy those discontent with the new additions to Halo 4.

Since Halo 4 has 3 Forge environments, I think that simply recreating most of these maps in Forge will work. Relic might need a remake, but something that 343i must stay away from is dropping these maps into Halo 4 playlists such as slayer. I strongly support the addition of a classic playlist and it’s something I think a lot of you will agree with.

Thanks! Please comment.