Regarding the 8 GB Multiplayer

I’ve got several questions for everyone about the Multiplayer disc.

1. How will it work? It’s not necessary to download the disc onto the harddrive, right? I can just pop in the disc like normal?

2. What’s the reasoning behind the required 8 GBs?

Reasons why I’m asking, which can hopefully help you understand my questions:

I’m in college, and right now I have an xbox running on an 8 GB microSD card that’s sitting inside a non-working Blackberry Torch phone. It doesn’t have the full 8 GB, since I have several profiles and an arcade game downloaded onto it already. My suitemate has another xbox with a real harddrive, and I’m sure there is 8 GB of space. I need to know whether I’ll be able to play Multiplayer without downloading the disc onto the harddrive, and if I do download it, can I download it on my actual xbox that’s sitting at my house across the country?

Thanks for any information.

1. Most likely it is an install disk that installs the multiplayer onto your hard drive. After the install, you will be able to play from the first disk and won’t need to disk-swap.

2. Spartan Ops and the shipped maps most likely. Plus it might also improve stability by installing it.

> I’ve got several questions for everyone about the Multiplayer disc.
>
> 1) How will it work? It’s not necessary to download the disc onto the harddrive, right? I can just pop in the disc like normal?
>
> 2) What’s the reasoning behind the required 8 GBs?
>
> Reasons why I’m asking, which can hopefully help you understand my questions:
>
> I’m in college, and right now I have an xbox running on an 8 GB microSD card that’s sitting inside a non-working Blackberry Torch phone. It doesn’t have the full 8 GB, since I have several profiles and an arcade game downloaded onto it already. My suitemate has another xbox with a real harddrive, and I’m sure there is 8 GB of space. I need to know whether I’ll be able to play Multiplayer without downloading the disc onto the harddrive, and if I do download it, can I download it on my actual xbox that’s sitting at my house across the country?
>
> Thanks for any information.

the requirement is 8GB because the actual install is 2.5GB for infinity and 1.5GB for spartan ops (pirates confirmed), so 4GB would not fit on a 4GB flash drive, if you have 4GB available of 8GB you should be fine.

It is a mandatory install to play infinity and spartan ops.

Okay, so the second disc is what allows us to play War Games using the first disc, correct?

So, once I install the second disc, using up 4 GB, can I install it somewhere else? Will it work like the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc, where I can still install the maps today, or will it work like installing a game, where you can only install it on one xbox and then the disc is useless?

I have multiple xbox’s, which is the problem.

> Okay, so the second disc is what allows us to play War Games using the first disc, correct?
>
> So, once I install the second disc, using up 4 GB, can I install it somewhere else? Will it work like the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack disc, where I can still install the maps today, or will it work like installing a game, where you can only install it on one xbox and then the disc is useless?
>
> I have multiple xbox’s, which is the problem.

Yes.

and what do you mean by installing it somewhere else? you can install it on as many xboxes as you want, but you need the 1st disc to play so you cannot play halo 4 on more than 1 xbox at a time without another copy of disc 1

Anything like the second disk in Forza you should be OK to install on multiple Xbox’s however just swapping hard drive would make more sense wouldn’t it?

the second disk has 8 gbs of data used for mp and spartan ops and anything else needed so its a install disk, you put the second disk in and install all the extra necessary data, so pretty much you put the second disk in and install, then you just play on the first one, done.

they do it because maps and content will load faster off a hard drive than reading off a disk. multiplayer matchmaking will have faster load times, i like the idea.

> Anything like the second disk in Forza you should be OK to install on multiple Xbox’s however just swapping hard drive would make more sense wouldn’t it?

Of course, but like I said, there are complications. My first xbox isn’t mine and doesn’t have a HDD, rather it’s using my old phone. Another xbox with me in college doesn’t belong to me either and so I can’t use the HDD. Then, in my hometown, I have two xbox’s due to divorced parents. One xbox is slim, the other is the Halo 3 version (old), so HDDs aren’t compatible. See where my trouble lies?

> Yes.
>
> and what do you mean by installing it somewhere else? you can install it on as many xboxes as you want, but you need the 1st disc to play so you cannot play halo 4 on more than 1 xbox at a time without another copy of disc 1

Thank you. By “installing it elsewhere,” I mean:

Can I install the 2nd disc in one xbox, play War Games using the 1st disc, but still install the 2nd disc on another xbox and play War Games with the same 1st disc?

My main question is whether the disc will be renewable/capable of being installed multiple times vs. a one-time use and then the player is stuck. I don’t imagine it would be the latter, but hopefully someone has an answer (which it seems like Fionic does, so thanks). EDIT: Bolded part is the answer to my question. If you’re 100% confident in your answer, let me know :smiley:

> the second disk has 8 gbs of data used for mp and spartan ops and anything else needed so its a install disk, you put the second disk in and install all the extra necessary data, so pretty much you put the second disk in and install, then you just play on the first one, done.

that’s wrong, it only takes up 4GB, but has an 8GB requirement because there is no such thing as a 5/6GB flash drive, /w formatting a 4GB drive is less than what you need.

> Can I install the 2nd disc in one xbox, play War Games using the 1st disc, but still install the 2nd disc on another xbox and play War Games with the same 1st disc?
>
> My main question is whether the disc will be renewable/capable of being installed multiple times vs. a one-time use and then the player is stuck. I don’t imagine it would be the latter, but hopefully someone has an answer (which it seems like Fionic does, so thanks).

you can install on as many xboxes you want, as many times as you want. you’ll just need to remember to bring your disc 1 when you go home/ to school

if mp is 4GB why do we need 8GB of free space ?

I have a question also.

Seeing as though i definitely do NOT have 8GB of free hard drive space, can I simply play the game normally and switch discs rather than installing the game?

> I have a question also.
>
> Seeing as though i definitely do NOT have 8GB of free hard drive space, can I simply play the game normally and switch discs rather than installing the game?

> if mp is 4GB why do we need *GB of free space ?

Because every harddrive or USB requires a certain amount of space that can’t be used. You need 8gb of space because a 4gb storage unit does not actually have 4 gb of useable space, and 8gb is the next step up.

So lets say all storage units use .5 gb after formatting, for simplicity’s sake. A 4gb harddrive would have 3.5gb of usuable space, which is NOT enough. 8 gb is the next size up, which would have 7.5gb of space, which is enough. This is why you need a harddrive BIGGER than 4gb despite the second disc only being 4gb.

>
> Seeing as though i definitely do NOT have 8GB of free hard drive space, can I simply play the game normally and switch discs rather than installing the game?

Nope. It’s required.

> > if mp is 4GB why do we need *GB of free space ?
>
> Because every harddrive or USB requires a certain amount of space that can’t be used. You need 8gb of space because a 4gb storage unit does not actually have 4 gb of usuable space, and 8gb is the next step up.

so if I have 4.5 GB of free space I should be good ?

>

The answers people have given me are “No”. It seems like the info is saved on the 2nd disc, but you need to access it through the first disc, as in the menus are all on the first disc only. Bummer, but if it makes Matchmaking less laggy…

> > if mp is 4GB why do we need *GB of free space ?
>
> Because every harddrive or USB requires a certain amount of space that can’t be used. You need 8gb of space because a 4gb storage unit does not actually have 4 gb of usuable space, and 8gb is the next step up.

This. Between future map-packs/spartan ops, that 8gb total will be eventually used.

OP, buy a 16gb flash drive if you can.

> > > if mp is 4GB why do we need *GB of free space ?
> >
> > Because every harddrive or USB requires a certain amount of space that can’t be used. You need 8gb of space because a 4gb storage unit does not actually have 4 gb of usuable space, and 8gb is the next step up.
>
> so if I have 4.5 GB of free space I should be good ?

Yes