Recorded Stats: How do you feel about them?

First of all, please, only answer this question if you have experience playing an online game where no stats were ever recorded. This means wins, losses, kills, deaths- everything.
EDIT: I should also add that this means permanent recordings. This doesn’t include kill counts within the match itself.

My question is simple: How do you feel about the inclusion of recorded stats in online gaming?

I have always been against the idea of it. I feel that the inclusion of stats does more harm then good, causing rifts between players of different skill levels, and making the game feel less like a “game”, and more like something you do to improve a number. A lot of people counter this by claiming that they add a competitive edge to the game. How then, is it possible that the most competitive shooters like Counter Strike 1.6 and Quake III (although some individual servers of these games did record stats, it wasn’t prominent in my experience). This is just how I feel about the topic and I’d like to hear what you guys have to say.

I used to play TF2 online and the only stats that were tracked were how much time you have played as a class. It felt very low key, no pressure just fun. Upside was that no one could go “your K.D sucks, your a bad player” (same for win.loss) but i never got the feeling that i was good at the game. Casual vs Comp.

It is nice to have recorded stats for Halo but, it’s only really good for the player that are good. For me, I don’t like having my K/D being on my record to see in game. It makes me freak out over my K/D ratio and I don’t have fun any more. I only wish that you could turn your visible stats off so, other players couldn’t see my record. If that could happen I would love matchmaking 10 times more. With me now worried about my record kind of breaks some of the fun for me /:.

> It makes me freak out over my K/D ratio and I don’t have fun any more.

I have never cared for my K/D ratio ever. I have don’t check it either, i just play Halo for fun and anyone who brings up my stats in game or out are just jealous =)

I like them. They let me see how I can improve as a player and help me pinpoint weaknesses.
Basically stats help me break the game down, and they’re also interesting to learn from if you compare with players better than yourself and try to see what they do differently.

Similarly you don’t have to pay attention to them. If they don’t matter to you then just ignore them.

> I like them. They let me see how I can improve as a player and help me pinpoint weaknesses.
> Basically stats help me break the game down, and they’re also interesting to learn from if you compare with players better than yourself and try to see what they do differently.
>
> Similarly you don’t have to pay attention to them. If they don’t matter to you then just ignore them.

That’s just it though. Even if I ignore them, even if I don’t care, a huge, vocal part of the community does. And that is the problem. It causes the issues I mentioned in the OP. I personally do not care much for stats, but a lot of people do, and that is what I am arguing is detrimental to online gaming.

> > I like them. They let me see how I can improve as a player and help me pinpoint weaknesses.
> > Basically stats help me break the game down, and they’re also interesting to learn from if you compare with players better than yourself and try to see what they do differently.
> >
> > Similarly you don’t have to pay attention to them. If they don’t matter to you then just ignore them.
>
> That’s just it though. Even if I ignore them, even if I don’t care, a huge, vocal part of the community does. And that is the problem. It causes the issues I mentioned in the OP. I personally do not care much for stats, but a lot of people do, and that is what I am arguing is detrimental to online gaming.

Well if you don’t care, that’s all that matters. Stuff what anyone else thinks and enjoy the game how you see fit. If people berate you for a low K/D or W/L ratio (examples BTW, I haven’t actually checked your stats or anything) but it truly doesn’t matter to you then you should just ignore them. Those arguments are always poor in opinion based arguments anyway since opinions can’t be wrong as they are not facts.
The only time such an argument would hold any weight is if a player’s statistical ability was relevant to the discussion at hand; even then a lot of the time you can only know how good someone is from either having first hand experience playing with or against them over the course of many games or if they have a reputation for being good amongst other self professed good players.

I like stats as a superficial means to an end.

I also feel I have the ability to look past the k/d and see what contributes to it. I can tell a players “style” by their stats. I care nothing for the numbers that the majority claim shows skill. Those numbers mean nothing in a game itself and knowing a player’s k/d is nothing compared to knowing their style.

I am not weary of a player who has a 5.0 k/d by using the sniper. I am very cautious of the player who got a 2.0 k/d by using the AR.

Then after that, the win/lose record and gametype preference helps me understand a players willingness to be in the heat. High k/ds with low w/ls are stat-yoink!ers for the most part. Past that, I can’t tell skill, only the willingness to risk one’s self for the win… Willing to die for the win or die for the lose. That is a rare trait in the higher k/d holders.

> > > I like them. They let me see how I can improve as a player and help me pinpoint weaknesses.
> > > Basically stats help me break the game down, and they’re also interesting to learn from if you compare with players better than yourself and try to see what they do differently.
> > >
> > > Similarly you don’t have to pay attention to them. If they don’t matter to you then just ignore them.
> >
> > That’s just it though. Even if I ignore them, even if I don’t care, a huge, vocal part of the community does. And that is the problem. It causes the issues I mentioned in the OP. I personally do not care much for stats, but a lot of people do, and that is what I am arguing is detrimental to online gaming.
>
> Well if you don’t care, that’s all that matters. Stuff what anyone else thinks and enjoy the game how you see fit. If people berate you for a low K/D or W/L ratio (examples BTW, I haven’t actually checked your stats or anything) but it truly doesn’t matter to you then you should just ignore them. Those arguments are always poor in opinion based arguments anyway since opinions can’t be wrong as they are not facts.
> The only time such an argument would hold any weight is if a player’s statistical ability was relevant to the discussion at hand; even then a lot of the time you can only know how good someone is from either having first hand experience playing with or against them over the course of many games or if they have a reputation for being good amongst other self professed good players.

I don’t mind people berating me for my stats, as I don’t get it very much. I’m more concerned with the effect it has on the way others view the game and the game’s community. In the end, it’s more likely to lower the chances that someone will pick the game up (as it’s intimidating for newcomers), and increases the chances that people will leave if treated hostile. I like to interact with the people I’m playing with, and people worried about their stats are less likely to do things that could potentially harm there stats (evidenced by the absurdly low Objective playlist population, and the huge weight of votes towards slayer in Big Team playlists). It’s not for myself that I’m concerned about stat recording, it’s the status of the game and it’s population.

I enjoy being able to see my stats. I like to look them over to see where i can improve be it using a certain weapon or gametypes. Those who always judge skill by K/D are usually the less team oriented ones from my experience.

I love stats. I couldn’t careless what people think of mine. I just really like knowing them for myself.