Recoil instead of bloom in H4.

I love the idea of bloom. Making how fast you shoot a weapon be a major factor in accuracy really does bring skill into the experience if it’s done right, I think. However, I think I can safely say that most of us here know that bloom was executed badly, therefore cheapening the experience instead of enriching it.

So I say to remove bloom in H4. However, still keep that basic, fundamental idea that bloom had: making RoF affect accuracy. How to do that and maintain a consistent, reliable gaming experience?

Recoil is the answer. This should be implemented into all precision weapons (excluding the sniper, perhaps) and all automatic weapons. Think of the ODST Magnum or H2/H3 SMG. That kind of recoil implemented to every weapon could really be a very beneficial addition to gameplay while still keeping a competition-friendly environment.

But this also means that the main precision weapon in H4 will have to be a single-shot gun like the DMR. Still, I think that a single-shot weapon would be more consistent and reliable than a burst weapon like the BR.

So what do you think? Is recoil a good idea?

I think it’s a well thought out idea, I’m just not a fan, i’m more of a Halo purist and think things like bloom and recoil shouldn’t affect a Spartan II supersoldier. Because even with a recoil system, you’ll get people who’ll get what’s known as “lucky recoil” where they aim just so that they can spam and it’ll hit the head.

Bottom line: I just want a hitscan like H2, reliable weapon that’s even single-shot, so i feel like every kill my opponent gets is because they were better than me, and every kill I get is because at that point I out-skilled them.

> I think it’s a well thought out idea, I’m just not a fan, i’m more of a Halo purist and think things like bloom and recoil shouldn’t affect a Spartan II supersoldier. Because even with a recoil system, you’ll get people who’ll get what’s known as “lucky recoil” where they aim just so that they can spam and it’ll hit the head.
>
> Bottom line: I just want a hitscan like H2, reliable weapon that’s even single-shot, so i feel like every kill my opponent gets is because they were better than me, and every kill I get is because at that point I out-skilled them.

This.

> I think it’s a well thought out idea, I’m just not a fan, i’m more of a Halo purist and think things like bloom and recoil shouldn’t affect a Spartan II supersoldier. Because even with a recoil system, you’ll get people who’ll get what’s known as “lucky recoil” where they aim just so that they can spam and it’ll hit the head.
>
> Bottom line: I just want a hitscan like H2, reliable weapon that’s even single-shot, so i feel like every kill my opponent gets is because they were better than me, and every kill I get is because at that point I out-skilled them.

Well, only downside I see to this is when you bring lag into the picture. I know bloom isn’t perfect, but if you have a precise weapon that is also hitscan, wouldn’t you think there are bound to be instances when you miss the final headshot even though on your screen you got the kill? I don’t know for sure, but I feel like bloom and recoil are possible attempts at dealing with lag. Obviously in a LAN situation hitscan is indeed a true way to measure skill.

>

That’s actually a really good point you bring up. Still, in Reach, cross-map shooting in BTB is more prominent than it is in any other Halo, mostly because of the hitscan nature of the DMR, along with its large scope. And this is even with bloom. With recoil, if it’s implemented right, it’ll stop most cross-map shooting along with making it nearly impossible to spam and get the “lucky recoil.”

>

THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!! The glory days of online gaming were here!

>

I agree completely with both parts. A soldier, larger and stronger than any ordinary human, who was bred for combat, should be able to easily control recoil from almost any small arm.

Or how about making Bloom go 10x bigger at max RoF but make that at a reasonable speed, so the pacers who pace already have it reset like it does then, AND have recoil.

Designated Skillers Rifle.

>

This. Recoil will not solve the issue because people will find a spot where spamming always registers as a headshot.

Just leave both out of Halo, that way the only winner is whomever aims better. And always keep hitscan.
Dedicated Servers also need to happen, to minimize lag across the board for Halo.

> > I think it’s a well thought out idea, I’m just not a fan, i’m more of a Halo purist and think things like bloom and recoil shouldn’t affect a Spartan II supersoldier. Because even with a recoil system, you’ll get people who’ll get what’s known as “lucky recoil” where they aim just so that they can spam and it’ll hit the head.
> >
> > Bottom line: I just want a hitscan like H2, reliable weapon that’s even single-shot, so i feel like every kill my opponent gets is because they were better than me, and every kill I get is because at that point I out-skilled them.
>
> I agree completely with both parts. A soldier, larger and stronger than any ordinary human, who was bred for combat, should be able to easily control recoil from almost any small arm.

Canon should never dictate what goes into gameplay. Look at the H2/H3 SMG. That had recoil when Spartan IIs held it.

Spartans have been training most of their lives, and they still are affected by recoil? Those drugs should have beefed them up.

> Or how about making Bloom go 10x bigger at max RoF but make that at a reasonable speed, so the pacers who pace already have it reset like it does then, AND have recoil.
>
>
> Designated Skillers Rifle.

The problem with that is that bloom is, by its very nature, random. Recoil is much more consistent.

> > I think it’s a well thought out idea, I’m just not a fan, i’m more of a Halo purist and think things like bloom and recoil shouldn’t affect a Spartan II supersoldier. Because even with a recoil system, you’ll get people who’ll get what’s known as “lucky recoil” where they aim just so that they can spam and it’ll hit the head.
> >
> > Bottom line: I just want a hitscan like H2, reliable weapon that’s even single-shot, so i feel like every kill my opponent gets is because they were better than me, and every kill I get is because at that point I out-skilled them.
>
> THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!! The glory days of online gaming were here!

> >
>
> This. Recoil will not solve the issue because people will find a spot where spamming always registers as a headshot.
>
> Just leave both out of Halo, that way the only winner is whomever aims better. And always keep hitscan.
> Dedicated Servers also need to happen, to minimize lag across the board for Halo.

If recoil’s implemented right, then this won’t be a problem. Try to envision this: every time you fire a precision weapon, say the DMR, then the reticle moves up quickly and resets, provided that you only fire one shot. However, each time you fire before the gun rests, then the distance that the reticle moves up is multiplied by two. Lets also say that the base distance that the reticle moves up is equal to the diameter of the Reach AR’s base outer reticle.

If this basic system is accomplished, then at mid-range, the reticle would bounce out of the body size of a Spartan in only one shot. In close range, two shots. This isn’t enough to make the situation that Massacre described possible.

> >
>
> This. Recoil will not solve the issue because people will find a spot where spamming always registers as a headshot.
>
> Just leave both out of Halo, that way the only winner is whomever aims better. And always keep hitscan.
> Dedicated Servers also need to happen, to minimize lag across the board for Halo.

If Microsoft uses dedicated servers, hit scan should go and be replaced with shot lead(CE shot lead, not halo 3 shot lead). It adds more depth to ranged fighting and increases the effectiveness of strafing.

There is no reason for recoil, large spread , or bloom in an arena shooter with regenerating shields.

i’d rather they fix bloom so spamming NEVER WINS at ANY RANGE. recoil makes you have to fight to aim, bloom just makes you pace your shots. i’d rather aim on target with no problem and have to throttle my rate of fire to stay accurate than try to throttle my rate of fire AND aim differently by slightly holding down the trigger to compensate for recoil.

> i’d rather they fix bloom so spamming NEVER WINS at ANY RANGE. recoil makes you have to fight to aim, bloom just makes you pace your shots. i’d rather aim on target with no problem and have to throttle my rate of fire to stay accurate than try to throttle my rate of fire AND aim differently by slightly holding down the trigger to compensate for recoil.

Although I’d love to see a fully effective bloom system, at its core, bloom is random. Bloom and recoil accomplish the same thing; the only difference is that recoil is more reliable and consistent.

Personally, I loved the Beta Pistol and DMR. It was a great mix of both bloom and recoil. Not so much for Spartans themselves but for gameplay, it was damn fun.

>

I agree. I want a hitscan precision weapon back like we had in Halo 2. The more I think about it, the more it is apparent that this was the very pinnacle of Halo online gaming. You had the best ranking system, best maps, best gametypes, best weapon balance for the sandbox. The only thing that hurt Halo 2 was the cheating, but still take Reach and compare the two, it’s not even close to how much more fun I had in Halo 2.

I also agree that we don’t need a recoil effect, and that there should be no bloom in the next Halo.

> > i’d rather they fix bloom so spamming NEVER WINS at ANY RANGE. recoil makes you have to fight to aim, bloom just makes you pace your shots. i’d rather aim on target with no problem and have to throttle my rate of fire to stay accurate than try to throttle my rate of fire AND aim differently by slightly holding down the trigger to compensate for recoil.
>
> Although I’d love to see a fully effective bloom system, at its core, bloom is random. Bloom and recoil accomplish the same thing; the only difference is that recoil is more reliable and consistent.

It seems as though you want the chance of a spammed shot hitting a target to be 0%. If this is the case, why not make it so that if you fire a round before the reticule resets you don’t discharge a shot at all? The advantage here, over your recoil proposal, is there is no way to try to manipulate the mechanic to be able to fire faster than allowed.

Not that i think this is how the anti-spam mechanic should function, just thought i’ld throw some ideas out to help alleviate the issue.