Reason for 'sticky' flag

Was a reason ever given for the ‘sticky’ flag?

Do we know if we will have an option to play the ‘normal’ way?

I’m all for innovation and change. But why change something that wasn’t an issue?

Sticky Flag? Do you mean how the flag can be duel wielded with a sidearm?

No.
Sticky Flag means that once it’s picked up, the player can’t drop until he/she dies.

I’m not sure what the purpose of Sticky Flag is, but I’m sure there’s a good reason.
343 hasn’t done me wrong yet, so I have absolute faith that whatever they do has a good reason behind it.

I just wish they’d take away the auto-pickup, I don’t really mind Sticky Flag.

Sticky flag? I’m assuming that means the flag doesn’t move forward when you drop it? If that is the case then it is to stop flag hopping.

> No.
> Sticky Flag means that once it’s picked up, the player can’t drop until he/she dies.

So if you have a power weapon you have effectively ‘lost’ it. Add to this auto pick up and you have a recipe for frustration. I could envision so many scenarios leading to accidental flag grabs. I was wondering if 343i ever explained why they changed a very basic element of CTF game play.

Most likely 343 see flag running as something that will negatively impact the way CTF games are played on default maps with default rules. Lets hope our options are open, and drop-able flags are available at least in MLG, along side “sticky” flag in other playlists.

> No.
> Sticky Flag means that once it’s picked up, the player can’t drop until he/she dies.

I didn’t know that had been added in. In that case OP has a point. However it does solve some problems such as the flag carrier being much easier to kill but what about flag hopping or giving the flag to a faster player with better perks for the job? And what about power weapons you have got?

I’m sure the classic gametypes and playlist will include a CTF gametype.

> Most likely 343 see flag running as something that will negatively impact the way CTF games are played on default maps with default rules. Lets hope our options are open, and drop-able flags are available at least in MLG, along side “sticky” flag in other playlists.

An option will make this a non issue to me. I think the community will flock to the classic style.

From NeoGAF:

> Talked to Kevin Franklin after the panel and talked CTF.
> 1. <mark>No, no dropping the flag in multiplayer.</mark> “It creates having the flag be an important aspect of the game. Players will still have an individual rank in addition to team score and you get more points based off helping the flag carrier by driving him or assisting in kills. We haven’t talked customs yet for CTF so we can’t comment but <mark>in war games you won’t be able to drop the flag</mark>. In addition, the waypoint over your head makes you yourself an objective and we get that so maybe the flagnum will get a boost in power to help counteract you being a target.”

:frowning:

It should definitely be changed in Custom Games, if they want people to play it.

OP. I suggest reading through this thread for an in depth discussion of the topic. The only confirmation of not being able to drop the flag in ANY MULTIPLAYER GAME (which would presumably include any so called “Classic” playlist) comes from a snippet of an interview with a 343i employee, which was posted on NeoGAF. So no, there has been no official explanation as to why it’s been added into CTF. The only small justification used for its inclusion is in that post.

I think at this stage, all we can hope for is a detailed official announcement clarifying the situation and attempting to justify what is by most accounts, a pretty drastic modification to a standard Objective gametype in this week’s bulletin.

EDIT: beaten by vFeRocityyy!

> From NeoGAF:
>
>
>
> > Talked to Kevin Franklin after the panel and talked CTF.
> > 1. <mark>No, no dropping the flag in multiplayer.</mark> “It creates having the flag be an important aspect of the game. Players will still have an individual rank in addition to team score and you get more points based off helping the flag carrier by driving him or assisting in kills. We haven’t talked customs yet for CTF so we can’t comment but <mark>in war games you won’t be able to drop the flag</mark>. In addition, the waypoint over your head makes you yourself an objective and we get that so maybe the flagnum will get a boost in power to help counteract you being a target.”
>
> :frowning:

It’s actually so nonsensical it’s making my laugh. Has anyone @ 343i ever played a good CTF game? Doesn’t sound likely.

> Talked to Kevin Franklin after the panel and talked CTF.
> 1. No, no dropping the flag in multiplayer. “<mark>It creates having the flag be an important aspect of the game. Players will still have an individual rank in addition to team score and you get more points based off helping the flag carrier by driving him or assisting in kills</mark>. We haven’t talked customs yet for CTF so we can’t comment but in war games you won’t be able to drop the flag. In addition, the waypoint over your head makes you yourself an objective and we get that so maybe the flagnum will get a boost in power to help counteract you being a target.”

Fascinating, so a vital portion of CTF is axed for the sake of incentivising a point system.

Good grief, and there’s no option in custom games to turn it off.

> > Talked to Kevin Franklin after the panel and talked CTF.
> > 1. No, no dropping the flag in multiplayer. “<mark>It creates having the flag be an important aspect of the game. Players will still have an individual rank in addition to team score and you get more points based off helping the flag carrier by driving him or assisting in kills</mark>. We haven’t talked customs yet for CTF so we can’t comment but in war games you won’t be able to drop the flag. In addition, the waypoint over your head makes you yourself an objective and we get that so maybe the flagnum will get a boost in power to help counteract you being a target.”
>
> Fascinating, so a vital portion of CTF is axed for the sake of incentivising a point system.
>
> Good grief, and there’s no option in custom games to turn it off.

Yeah, you don’t change the game type to better suit a largely irrelevant point system. Scoring flags and having a good time is what matters. Getting saddled with the flag and loosing any power weapons you have is just silly.

BTW-Wasn’t having the flag always important. LOL

flag taken

flag dropped

flag taken

flag dropped

… is annoying …

> flag taken
>
> flag dropped
>
> flag taken
>
> flag dropped
>
> … is annoying …

Good thing they already fixed it before H4.

Move on to cop-out argument #2.

The only good thing added to CTF is the Flagnum

Everything else is terrible and CTF needs to be limited to its classic style .

> > flag taken
> >
> > flag dropped
> >
> > flag taken
> >
> > flag dropped
> >
> > … is annoying …
>
> Good thing they already fixed it before H4.
>
> Move on to cop-out argument #2.

And that still wouldn’t justify all that is lost. So many memorable moments and fun tactics are all lost. CTF will feel a bit generic from map to map.

This is my biggest issue with H4 so far TBH. Which is good, but this does annoy me.

I’m wondering why. I mean, flag hopping wasn’t that bad…

> This is my biggest issue with H4 so far TBH. Which is good, but this does annoy me.
>
> I’m wondering why. I mean, flag hopping wasn’t that bad…

I’ll miss tossing flags up to team mates. I will also miss the ‘mid-ship’ tactic. Control the enemy base and toss flags down to your team. Now that’s team work.