Ready for multiplayer when?

I’ve watched numerous multiplayer videos and I was curious as to what point other people jumped in and started playing MP…

I know you can get matched up with people at your own level of expertise but is there a point when people consider it “too soon?”

(I’m still working my way through Campaign on Legendary level.)

Reach’s skill based ranking is really bad because of the population, so get a good feel of the controls in campaign or firefight.

Try a game or two! If you get completely spanked, go try some 2x Score Attack in FF. A good range of enemies and weapons and AA’s to use. Learn where the DMR’s reticule is, etc.

If you come out doing okay, keep going. :slight_smile:

Well I must say that I think I’m pretty good at the one-shot/one-kill headshots with the DMR or Magnum, hence the new sniper Avatar. Usually 50 - 60% of my Campaign kills are headshots.

I’m thinking I’ll go for MP after I complete Campaign on Legendary. My K/D ratio is currently just under 60%. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with a headshot I got on a Skirmisher last night on Swordbase when he was in mid-air…

MP seems very tough and the games I’m playing on Legendary right now are ones that I’ve replayed numerous times vs MP where is all completely spontaneous.

> Well I must say that I think I’m pretty good at the one-shot/one-kill headshots with the DMR or Magnum, hence the new sniper Avatar. Usually 50 - 60% of my Campaign kills are headshots.
>
> I’m thinking I’ll go for MP after I complete Campaign on Legendary. My K/D ratio is currently just under 60%. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with a headshot I got on a Skirmisher last night on Swordbase when he was in mid-air…
>
> MP seems very tough and the games I’m playing on Legendary right now are ones that I’ve replayed numerous times vs MP where is all completely spontaneous.

If you’re able to dominate the Campaign on Legendary difficulty than you’ll do alright playing MP early on.

The kids that are really horrible in MP are the ones that can’t even beat the Campaign on Heroic. And these are the kids you’ll be stepping on at first.

Solid copy on that Advent…

I appreciate the picture you painted and giving me an idea of what the early competition looks like. I tend to do a bit of advance scouting before going into a new area, (walkthrough videos, etc.) and I’ve been watching some MP videos which I now realize are being played at a much higher level than I would be first entering.

You’ll be facing some pretty easy people first. You seem more than ready IMO.

The first time I ever played Halo was Reach. (I know, you all probably hate me. But I love the series now, and have played through most of the games!) It was also the matchmaking. I didn’t try campaign for a good while later.

At first, my ratio was horrifyingly negative and I just couldn’t figure things out. Honestly, I caught on rather quick though. You get a feel for what weapons you’re good with, which ones you should avoid, and so on. It also really helped me to raise the controller sensitivity up a few notches.

So, in short, I feel like no one is ever “ready to jump in” to MM. It’s a completely different experience from campaign and it just takes, well, experience.

BuildTheWall

Just put similar skill search on, and do something simple like standard Team Slayer. That’s closer to how weapons in campaign feel than the other playlists since they have the Title Update.

You should get pretty weak opponents since your true skill is new.

> Solid copy on that Advent…
>
> I appreciate the picture you painted and giving me an idea of what the early competition looks like. I tend to do a bit of advance scouting before going into a new area, (walkthrough videos, etc.) and I’ve been watching some MP videos which I now realize are being played at a much higher level than I would be first entering.

A lot of MP is actually getting the right weapons. You have to learn the maps, learn where the weapons are, and use them appropriately. Which will take time.

For example, on maps like Countdown the Sword and Shotgun are key. Get to them and possess them as long as you can, and if you don’t have one locate the DMRs (since most of Team Slayer is crappy AR Starts) so you can shoot those in possession of the CQB Weapons before they can get to you.

Rockets on other maps (Boardwalk, Powerhouse, Pinnacle, Renova) is another example. He who possesses Rocks, and actually has thumbs (rare for Team Slayer) should pile up an easy 4-5 kills minimum.

And don’t let anybody on these forums or in a lobby tell you that camping with a shotgun or sword ain’t the way to go given the circumstances. Get a sword or shotty, crouch down at the nearest corner (crouching allows you to disappear off the opponents radar, they’ll be oblivious to your presence) and watch your radar for some unsuspecting kid to walk right into your trap.

These are just some of the basics of MP, that you’d never really think to utilize in Campaign since you aren’t fighting the Covenant for Rockets or sword/shotty camping vs Elites. lulz

MP is like the pool, its best if you just jump in, so the time is now soldier =) Stick with your teammates, figure out where the power weapons are and how long it takes them to respawn and the rest will come in time =)

Welcome to Waypoint.

Advent,

That’s more than a “post” that’s practically a tutorial!

I can see I’m going to have to do more strategy research. Thanks for the info on crouching…that would have taken me forever to find out…

Getting to know the maps and where the weapons are located is clearly a priority. Now I understand why the maps are out there being sold.

> MP is like the pool, its best if you just jump in, so the time is now soldier =) Stick with your teammates, figure out where the power weapons are and how long it takes them to respawn and the rest will come in time =)
>
> Welcome to Waypoint.

This thinking is precisely what prompted me to make my original post. As you can tell, I’m big into strategy and planning. But as we all know, there comes a time to just do it.

Clearly that time is at hand.

> Advent,
>
> That’s more than a “post” that’s practically a tutorial!
>
> I can see I’m going to have to do more strategy research. Thanks for the info on crouching…that would have taken me forever to find out…
>
> Getting to know the maps and where the weapons are located is clearly a priority. Now I understand why the maps are out there being sold.

In custom game you can bring up maps that shipped with Reach as well as those on your HD (DLC) and walk through them freely. The spawn points are visible as well. This is a great way to learn both the spawn points and where many of the power weapons are located (a majority of Rockets/Snipers come back in 90-150 seconds). But bewarned, some of the weapon placements have changed over time. Eitherway, custom game walk throughs will show you at certain parts of certain maps there will always be a useful weapon of some sort, whether it’s Rockets, Shotguns, Snipers or something more plain like a Needler/Needle Rifle.

Playing campaign or firefight are largely a waste of time as they are nothing like competitive multiplayer especially now there’s so many 85% bloom playlists.

If you time to the default bloom you will get spanked by people that have gotten use to 85% bloom in 85% gametypes.

If you have some friends who are good at the game it is a good idea to party up with them and see what they do. Maybe watch a few replays of others along with your own and try to look for ways you could have done things better.

You do not have to be an especially good shot in Reach provided you play smart and pick your battles, you should never blindly rush into an engagement unless death is a certainty and you may be able to get a kill if you act quickly.

There’s a lot of lame strategies like Banshee -Yoink!- that make stat padding incredibly easy in Reach so don’t assume someone is good just because they have a high kill to death ratio. They might just be good at damage mitigation or roll with a full team.

Competitive multiplayer is so different it is actually better to come in with no campaign and firefight experience because you will learn using competitive settings and no develop any ideas that pertain only to campaign or firefight.