Reach players opinions on Guardians

I was just wondering what the rest of the Reach community thought about guardians. I noticed the 4 crowd loves it, the 3 crowd seem on the fence, and the purists are their usual selves.

I personally wasn’t that happy with it, I think Reach has better balance than those who claimed Guardians beta’s perfect balance. It also feel it could use another year of development/ second beta test(with near full arsenal and Vehicles) to make it better, It just feels like it needs work and could be a lot better than what was shown in the Beta.

I thoroughly enjoyed the beta

Why do you think reach is better balanced?

I like the direction Halo 5 is going but I’d love for them to apply some Halo Reach mechanics.

I maintain that I would play (and thoroughly enjoy) every new Halo game from this point on, if they played exactly like Halo Reach. Yes, that means armor abilities and everything - although obviously not reticule bloom.

But that also means no default Sprint, no default Thrusters, no Ground Pound, no Stabilizers, no weapon callouts or indicators, etc. I think you see where I’m going with this…

Making everyone super overpowered (even more so than in Halo 4) is perhaps my least favorite gameplay decision by 343 so far. I am very adamant on that. They’ve sold equal starts and detailed Sprint ‘nerfs’ as the savior of a damaged Arena formula, and in such an endearing and convincing way; as if that was supposed to negate the fact that they basically gave every player 3 or 4 armor abilities.

At least they genuinely didn’t see anything wrong with it.

Reach made the same mistake and it pissed off a lot of Halo fans, and for the longest time, I thought Reach gameplay was the farthest that Halo would (or should) ever venture. Why go even further? Why make Reach look watered down in comparison, just as fans were getting used to armor abilities? How is that possibly a sound idea? It all became clear during The Sprint, when they revealed their main gameplay design philosophy was prototyping Spartans as “super heroes.”

‘Super’ as they may be, I don’t feel we should be ready to extend ‘super hero’ gameplay to average armored super soldiers. In fact, I feel we should stay as far away from it as possible.

Coming from someone you would call a “purist”, it was not as good as 2, 3, or T.U. Reach, but miles better than launch Reach or Halo 4.

dont know how i feel about it just yet as i have yet to buy an xbox one ( mostly due to price) so i wouldn’t know about halo 5 but i enjoy reach to a point, 90% of the time im in

swat the other 10% im either in the campaign or firefight, mostly to rank up so i can finish getting all the armor and helmets. mostly im an achievement hunter so thats what i

focus on other than that i enjoy the story line, but ive been paying attention to the reviews but then im the type to make up my own -Yoink!- mind when it comes to liking

something or not regardless of the reviews so for right now im just waiting for the price of the xbox one to go way down then buy it then get the game

> 2533274903406057;3:
> I like the direction Halo 5 is going but I’d love for them to apply some Halo Reach mechanics.

I disagree, Halo Reach is by far one of my favorite Halo games and Halo 5 seems to be great.

> 2533274815131399;7:
> > 2533274903406057;3:
> > I like the direction Halo 5 is going but I’d love for them to apply some Halo Reach mechanics.
>
>
> I disagree, Halo Reach is by far one of my favorite Halo games and Halo 5 seems to be great.

Halo Reach mechanics such as all fair loadouts sounds like something fair for H5.

As long as its like the beta, I would be okay with it… but even it Guardians is perfect, Reach will always be the more dominant, no matter what anyone says

I liked the Halo 5 Beta, but it seems too fast-paced.

• Sprint, Thruster Pack, Ground Pound, Clamber all as default abilities.- Halo 5 Beta BR takes 4 shots to kill, Reach DMR takes 5 shots.- Halo 5’s customization seems very limited compared to Reach’s.- Halo 5 Beta maps seem a bit small compared to Reach’s.

Halo 5 looks terrible, ADS and ground pound? Wtf. Halo 4 was too easy, and I’m sure the bullets still curve to hit people. Try betraying your teamates in reach, that has 0 aim assist, that’s why it’s so hard. The armor looks horrible too

I liked the beta, looking forward to playing the final product

> 2533274917158807;10:
> I liked the Halo 5 Beta, but it seems too fast-paced.
> - Sprint, Thruster Pack, Ground Pound, Clamber all as default abilities.
> - Halo 5 Beta BR takes 4 shots to kill, Reach DMR takes 5 shots.
> - Halo 5’s customization seems very limited compared to Reach’s.
> - Halo 5 Beta maps seem a bit small compared to Reach’s.

I think rather than being fast paced, it could be boiled down more to who turned a corner first or got the first shot off during the beta.

The 4 shot BR is inherently broken, its been that way every time it was implemented. I have lobbied against it many times, people will defend it and say its perfectly balance somehow. The BR has always been a really funny weapon, it really tends to swing from one side of balance to the other. Its either too weak and not relevant or its way too powerful and breaks the game balance forcing everyone to use it if they hope to be competitive. Thats why I prefer the DMR over the BR, it always felt well balanced and had a really good feel. It was claimed to be OP during the start of Halo 4, but I actually looked at it the other way around. The weaponry in Halo 4 was balanced like Halo 2/3s sandbox and the DMR was balanced for reachs sandbox, which is why there were problems. the Carbine and the BR were really short to mid ranged weaponry and weren’t very competitive against Reach’s mid to long range balancing.

Ground pound, clamber, and charge are really just extra bloating 343 added to the game, they don’t add anything to the game really and could be left out and no one would notice. Clamber was kind of used when I played, but not that much to really affect the general turn out of the match. Ground Pound and Charge were pretty much never used, I think I saw ground pound two or three times and charge was never used. I suspect ground pound and Charge will be removed, and with map adjustment Clamber could be removed as well. It would help streamline the game before launch.

Halo 4s customization was rather limited compared to reach as well, so there isn’t a whole lot new there. It is a beta also, so it will probably be expanded in the full game(I really hope so, be a big rip if not).

The Maps were small I agree. I personally hate small maps, they don’t play very well in my opinion. I think the game would play better if small maps were removed and medium maps took there place and scaled up from there. small maps would maybe be kept around for 2v2 tournament style play.

> 2533274951272700;11:
> Halo 5 looks terrible, ADS and ground pound? Wtf. Halo 4 was too easy, and I’m sure the bullets still curve to hit people. Try betraying your teamates in reach, that has 0 aim assist, that’s why it’s so hard. The armor looks horrible too

I felt halo reach had very good aim assist, not too much, but not too little either. You shouldnt be trying to betray team mates period. Halo 5 I felt as though there was 0 aim assist, I like just enough aim assist to where it does take a degree of skill to aim but isn’t too little to make it hard to land shots. I generally think its the lack of experience that 343 has, cause the pendilum went from having too much in halo 4(well, it was high aim assist combined with stupid bullet magnetism on top of it) to having not enough in Guardians beta.

I hope they will have a classic scope option instead of ADS, It should be an available option on launch. As far as ground pound and charge, both of those will not likely see Launch, because of the pointlessness and lack of usage they see.

I hate the Guardians in Halo Reach. They always kill me for no reason.

ADS in halo ? I’ll pass. Reach doesn’t have ADS.

> 2533274794749101;15:
> I hate the Guardians in Halo Reach. They always kill me for no reason.

Got that right.

I’m very excited for halo 5,
reading through here though makes me want to hop on reach for a bit :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed the Beta. Playing the game gave me a feeling I hadn’t felt since playing Halo 3 matchmaking. It was fun, fast paced, and balanced. I am truly excited for this game and glad I have an Xbox One so that I can play the game as soon as it comes out. I had very few complaints about the Beta and from what I’ve read other people had those issues and they’re being addressed.

People who complain mostly didn’t even play the damn Beta, or just don’t like the changes. While yes, there are quite a few changes, people need to remember that Halo games have always been changing. Halo 2 added hijacking, duel wielding and other features that vastly changed the gameplay experience. Halo 3 added equipment, forge and several other new things. It simply wouldn’t be a Halo game without some change, we all know what happens when a game hardly changes year after year, we get Call of Duty.

Another complaint I saw from some people was that game play was “too fast paced”. Those people need to keep in mind that the only maps we saw in the Beta were small arena style maps. We have yet to see more medium to large sized maps which surely won’t be as fast paced. Even if the larger maps were more fast paced than their Reach or 3 counterparts, that’s not a problem, at least in my opinion it isn’t.

Now, for the thing everyone is complaining about, ADS. As someone who actually plated the beta, I have to say I didn’t find them a problem. Many of the guns where you actually aimed down the sights were weapons that already had scopes in Halo, so it wasn’t that big of a change. The rest of the guns like the AR, you just kind of moved the gun closer to your face (kind of like in Fallout 3) and a holographic sight popped up on your HUD.

im curious on the major differences between halo 3 and halo reach aside from the campaign both multiplayers held a similar aspect