Reach campaign tip...

Hey everyone!

So back when reach first came out I stumbled across a trick, and I don’t know if anyone else has found this already or not. This tip is a lot a bit late, but better late than never!

Mission: tip of the spear

When you have to take out an anti air cannon, rather than run in on foot to clear out the enemies and destroy the core, simply hi jack a revenant or wraith, and hit the anti air cannon above the bottom level and below the ring where the cannon attaches to the base unit with a SINGLE mortar blast. Give it a few seconds and it blows up. Simple as that. Saves time, ammo, and frustrations (assuming you play on legendary).

Are you serious?! :o

Someone test this on LASO!

> Are you serious?! :o
>
> Someone test this on LASO!

I wouldn’t think it would work on LASO. In “The Package” on easy, no skulls on, it takes 4-5 shots from the scorpion to destroy it. This is earlier in the game, so it may have less health. I don’t know.

Surprisingly the chaingun hog does the most damage against the Tyrant guns. Try taking out the last gun with the chaingun hog perched on the destroyed bridge.

I was aware that it was possible to blow up the anti air guns with external fire. However I have always found the need to use lots of hits to take it down (having to continuously fire for a over a minute on LASO), so I’m not sure about your one hit kill theory.

I always knew you could destroy them AA guns without destroying the core.

I always was shooting at them thing at the top at the back where the gun fires.

Yep! I did it on legendary solo years ago… It HAS to be a revenant or wraith. Scorpion doesn’t cause enough damage for some reason. The first time I did this was by accident and it scared the living s*$@ out of me when it blew up because I wasn’t expecting it. I was actually just trying to clear out some enemies, particularly hunters, and missed and hit the cannon instead… Then a few seconds later it blew up. I did it all the time after that. I haven’t played the reach campaign in a while, but I’m confident this will work still… Has anyone confirmed it yet?

PS. This works on the package too. I couldn’t remember the name of the later mission with these cannons, but I’ve used this trick on that mission too. Remember… Renenant or wraith only. No scorpion.

I will try this tonight. While i have some doubt about your claim i would like to see this with my own eyes. I have tried with the both the Revy and Rocket Hog and found they take multiple shots to take them down be it on normal mode right up to LASO on Tip of the Spear. From memory you only get the Revy option with the second gun as you pick it up after you deal with the Zealot and get through that building.

Can you recommend any particular sweet spot on the AA gun to aim for.

> I will try this tonight. While i have some doubt about your claim i would like to see this with my own eyes. I have tried with the both the Revy and Rocket Hog and found they take multiple shots to take them down be it on normal mode right up to LASO on Tip of the Spear. From memory you only get the Revy option with the second gun as you pick it up after you deal with the Zealot and get through that building.
>
> Can you recommend any particular sweet spot on the AA gun to aim for.

Should be anywhere on the exterior. First time I did this was with the wraith on tip of the spear at the cannon where there are two hunters and buggers guarding it (data pad is nearby here too). You’ll have to hi jack the wraith in that area which I believe gets dropped of by a phantom.

One thought that I just had… I have never tried this out with any skulls turned on. It might be possible that some skulls strengthen the cannons. You might want to confirm this with no skulls on first…

Ok… So I tried this out again just to make sure my memory served me right. And it turns out there IS a sweet spot to hit. I’ll try to explain as best as I can:

Above the doors on the bottom level, but below the ring right where the cannon attaches to the base. I hit it with a wraith blast. if you’re close enough you can hear the alarm start blaring which is a good indication you’ve hit the right spot.

If this isn’t any help, let me know and I’ll upload a video to my file share when I have time to.