Reach - artificially altered for humanity?

This is harkening back to a theory I had over a year ago when information on Reach was just a glint in the milkman’s eye… I mean community. So let’s begin…

Reach may be an artificial planet, or it may have seen some kind of artificial intervention at the hand of the Forerunners. Yeah, sounds crazy, but let us take a look.

I knew, right off the bat that something was up when I read this.

> For a young planet with an age of less than one billion years, compared to Earth’s 4.6 billion year existence, Reach is remarkably geologically stable.

Reach isn’t even a billion years old at the time of the trilogy, and even the Forerunners inhabited it 100,000 years ago and it was stable. Now there’s something I feel is being built upon on Reach that will prove to be significant for humanity.

1. The underground complex housing a slipspace crystal. This was interesting because what I got from Cryptum was that these crystals were almost the norm for Forerunner slipspace travel. Even the Master Builder had a massive crystal where the others all came from, so why is this particular one getting special treatment and being hidden underground? I’ll come to that later.

2. The Babd Catha Ice Shelf was the location of a Forerunner data centre, also underground. We never got much information about it, but Halsey states it’s a potential “game changer” for humanity, a “latchkey discovery”. This poses a lot of questions. Latchkey implies this is unlocking something for humanity, and it’s something big.

These two sites will be the primary basis for this theory. To me, it seems the Forerunners altered Reach for humanity in several ways.

So perhaps the reason the Forerunners chose Reach as their site for all this was because it was close to Earth, and by altering the planet to make it stable it would inevitably draw humanity’s curiosity when they advanced to the point where they could colonise it.

It is interesting to note that Babd Catha is a goddess of war in Irish mythology. She represented an omen of a coming war which seems like all too much to be a coincidence for that name to be placed at an area with a “latchkey discovery” at it. This “oncoming war” obviously doesn’t refer to the Covenant because that’s been going on for 30 years, but as we very well know that Halo 4 is a new fight against an “ancient threat” that threatens the galaxy. This is where it gets interesting…

Let’s say this new ancient threat is the Precursors. We simply know almost nothing about the Forerunner-Precirsor war, I find it hard to believe they got wiped out and Greg himself stated Book 2 of the Forerunner Trilogy will explore “what the Forerunners and Precursors were really up to”. So we know something more was going on here.

This leads me to believe that their defeat at the hands of the Flood showed them that humanity were to be their Reclaimers and fight the Flood or Precursors when they inevitably return. So they left behind “objects of interest” at Reach, a planet that seems to be a bit of an anomaly to humanity because of how stable it is at an early age.

This harkens back to what Nazara says in Mass Effect:

> "Your civilisations are based off the technology of the Mass Relays - our technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire."

Now I am not saying Halo is going to follow the same story of ME, but the principal is there. The Forerunners made humanity Reclaimers, they can use Forerunner tech to its fullest potential because they were chosen to inherit it. So in order to advance humanity they leave them a slipspace crystal and a mahoosive data centre containing information of great importance.

However, the AI Assembly do not want humanity using Forerunner technology. They purposefully excluded Onyx from being a colonisation candidate because they learned it had Forerunner technology on/in it and believed humanity needed to make their own technology. Also going back to ME, Legion holds a very similar ideal that the geth were offered technology by Nazara but the “true” geth declined because they believed they had to make their own future.

So let’s connect this all together:

• Forerunners realise that an ancient threat will return (Flood? Precursors?) and after they fire Halo they make humanity Reclaimers by passing down “the Mantle”.

• They find Reach, roughly 10.4 light years away from Earth and it’s a very young planet. They artificially modify it so it becomes stable, knowing humanity would grow curious when they notice the anomaly after they reach their space-faring age. To initiate their plan, the Forerunners hide the crystal and data centre (perhaps more, since Halsey states they never discovered the full extent of the caverns under CASTLE, and the Latchkey Artefact was massive) in order to advance humanity. If the ancient threat was to return before the Forerunners predicted and found Reach, they decided to turn the surface into “a rugged and harsh wilderness filled with towering mountains, deserts and weather-beaten forests” - like the artificial weather on Halo designed to combat the Flood.

• Humanity advances again, but the Assembly think humanity should develop along their own path. The Minority and Majority have different ideas on how to achieve this, culminating in a tribunal for one of the AIs for initiating first contact between humanity and the Covenant.

• The Forerunner plan goes wrong. The crystal is destroyed, a fragment is in the hands of the Covenant and the data centre is destroyed. However, Halsey and Cortana managed to decrypt the data but never found out the true extent of what the Forerunners left for them under Menachite nor Babd Catha. Perhaps this is what leads humanity to reterraform Reach if it turns out Halsey escaped the Dyson Sphere and told ONI the Menachite complex needed to be explored further (as Babd Catha was seemingly destroyed)?

• The Assembly unanimously agrees to initiate direct intervention in humanity’s path and work together with them instead of acting as shepherds - knowing that the time has come for them, ready or not.

"DIRECT INTERVENTION IS NECESSARY!" … heh, heh, heh…

• Mendicant Bias sends John to the Forerunners, the ancient threat returns and humanity has to defeat it.

Clearly this is all conjecture just based on information we have received. I’m sure I’ve missed things you lot can all add in.

I would like to thank grey for reminding me I ever came up with this theory last year.

Its an interesting theory, but its a pretty wild one. The Forerunners leaving a massive repository of knowledge on a planet nearby Earth, betting that humanity would find the planet and therefore the repository. Its a very wild guess, though not outside the realms of whats possible.

I do agree that a geologically stable planet being formed without outisde assistance is highly unlikely and that the Forerunners most likely had a hand in that, though I dont think it was made for humanity to find, but mostly to keep an eye on Earth and humanity after the Human-Forerunner war. Its possible that the information on Reach was placed there not as a hidden repository for humanity, but rather as a last repository of the Forerunners knowledge similar to the Ancients from Stargate. In Stargate SG1 O’Neill accesses an Ancient repository and has the whole Ancient knowledge downloaded into his head. The Forerunners may have left their own repositories for the same reason, to keep their history alive, so their sacrifice is not forgotton.

I wish there was a save thread button because this is one of the best theories i have ever heard. I am deffinitley refferring to this for future refferrence.

> Its an interesting theory, but its a pretty wild one. The Forerunners leaving a massive repository of knowledge on a planet nearby Earth, betting that humanity would find the planet and therefore the repository. Its a very wild guess, though not outside the realms of whats possible.
>
> I do agree that a geologically stable planet being formed without outisde assistance is highly unlikely and that the Forerunners most likely had a hand in that, though I dont think it was made for humanity to find, but mostly to keep an eye on Earth and humanity after the Human-Forerunner war. Its possible that the information on Reach was placed there not as a hidden repository for humanity, but rather as a last repository of the Forerunners knowledge similar to the Ancients from Stargate. In Stargate SG1 O’Neill accesses an Ancient repository and has the whole Ancient knowledge downloaded into his head. The Forerunners may have left their own repositories for the same reason, to keep their history alive, so their sacrifice is not forgotton.

I agree, it’s very much a shot in the dark idea - but one that seems too good to be true.

Keeping an eye on Earth seems interesting. However in Cryptum, Bornstellar was sent to Edom (Mars) to live with Forerunner Miners who lived there. They could have simply set up an outpost there to monitor the planet.

> I wish there was a save thread button because this is one of the best theories i have ever heard. I am deffinitley refferring to this for future refferrence.

Thank you. :smiley:

I originally formed this idea last year before Reach came out but never developed it until a few months ago.

I once more put forth my theory that the Forerunners have a second stash of data hidden within the Sol system. More specifically, Uranus. I also present you with the Halo Encyclopedia’s entry on Uranus, as I believe that it is still relevant to this discussion:
“Named for the mythical creator of the universe, Uranus is an oddity among planets for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s axial tilt has it poles turned past a ninety-degree angle. Secondly, while freezing and unmapped, it features a number of alarming radiation spikes that have yet to be addressed.
Much like Saturn, Uranus is much further out from the sun than would be cost effective to investigate. It’s moon are also much less understood than Jupiter’s, while it’s anomalies are worrying.”

Radiation spikes caused by an unknown source; could it be a Forerunner construct hidden in Uranus?

> I once more put forth my theory that the Forerunners have a second stash of data hidden within the Sol system. More specifically, Uranus. I also present you with the Halo Encyclopedia’s entry on Uranus, as I believe that it is still relevant to this discussion:
> “Named for the mythical creator of the universe, Uranus is an oddity among planets for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s axial tilt has it poles turned past a ninety-degree angle. Secondly, while freezing and unmapped, it features a number of alarming radiation spikes that have yet to be addressed.
> Much like Saturn, Uranus is much further out from the sun than would be cost effective to investigate. It’s moon are also much less understood than Jupiter’s, while it’s anomalies are worrying.”
>
> Radiation spikes caused by an unknown source; could it be a Forerunner construct hidden in Uranus?

I was going to mention this in the OP as an addendum, but I figured you might appear. :wink:

Yes, that does sound quite foreboding. It’s a pretty random thing to slip in if it had no significance, it’s a plot device just waiting to be used.

> > I once more put forth my theory that the Forerunners have a second stash of data hidden within the Sol system. More specifically, Uranus. I also present you with the Halo Encyclopedia’s entry on Uranus, as I believe that it is still relevant to this discussion:
> > “Named for the mythical creator of the universe, Uranus is an oddity among planets for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s axial tilt has it poles turned past a ninety-degree angle. Secondly, while freezing and unmapped, it features a number of alarming radiation spikes that have yet to be addressed.
> > Much like Saturn, Uranus is much further out from the sun than would be cost effective to investigate. It’s moon are also much less understood than Jupiter’s, while it’s anomalies are worrying.”
> >
> > Radiation spikes caused by an unknown source; could it be a Forerunner construct hidden in Uranus?
>
> I was going to mention this in the OP as an addendum, but I figured you might appear. :wink:
>
> Yes, that does sound quite foreboding. It’s a pretty random thing to slip in if it had no significance, it’s a plot device just waiting to be used.

I can’t help it. I guess we are going to have to probe Uranus.

XD

> > > I once more put forth my theory that the Forerunners have a second stash of data hidden within the Sol system. More specifically, Uranus. I also present you with the Halo Encyclopedia’s entry on Uranus, as I believe that it is still relevant to this discussion:
> > > “Named for the mythical creator of the universe, Uranus is an oddity among planets for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s axial tilt has it poles turned past a ninety-degree angle. Secondly, while freezing and unmapped, it features a number of alarming radiation spikes that have yet to be addressed.
> > > Much like Saturn, Uranus is much further out from the sun than would be cost effective to investigate. It’s moon are also much less understood than Jupiter’s, while it’s anomalies are worrying.”
> > >
> > > Radiation spikes caused by an unknown source; could it be a Forerunner construct hidden in Uranus?
> >
> > I was going to mention this in the OP as an addendum, but I figured you might appear. :wink:
> >
> > Yes, that does sound quite foreboding. It’s a pretty random thing to slip in if it had no significance, it’s a plot device just waiting to be used.
>
> I can’t help it. I guess we are going to have to probe Uranus.
>
>
> XD

Commander Shepard is on the job!

> > > I once more put forth my theory that the Forerunners have a second stash of data hidden within the Sol system. More specifically, Uranus. I also present you with the Halo Encyclopedia’s entry on Uranus, as I believe that it is still relevant to this discussion:
> > > “Named for the mythical creator of the universe, Uranus is an oddity among planets for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s axial tilt has it poles turned past a ninety-degree angle. Secondly, while freezing and unmapped, it features a number of alarming radiation spikes that have yet to be addressed.
> > > Much like Saturn, Uranus is much further out from the sun than would be cost effective to investigate. It’s moon are also much less understood than Jupiter’s, while it’s anomalies are worrying.”
> > >
> > > Radiation spikes caused by an unknown source; could it be a Forerunner construct hidden in Uranus?
> >
> > I was going to mention this in the OP as an addendum, but I figured you might appear. :wink:
> >
> > Yes, that does sound quite foreboding. It’s a pretty random thing to slip in if it had no significance, it’s a plot device just waiting to be used.
>
> I can’t help it. I guess we are going to have to probe Uranus.
>
>
> XD

Really, Ohizzle? It’s too expensive too probe Uranus.

Haha you guys are awesome. How were you able to connect all of that? It does sound far off but I could deffinately see that all connecting, it’s all very plausible. Haha truly awesome.

> Haha you guys are awesome. How were you able to connect all of that? It does sound far off but I could deffinately see that all connecting, it’s all very plausible. Haha truly awesome.

Pretty crazy, right? This all formed in my mind when I was reading up information about Reach and I learned it was a billion years old (not even a quarter of Earth’s age) and was a stable planet. I figured that since there are Forerunner artefacts on the planet then it must have been habitable 100,000 years before (a pretty long time), then the rest just came to me as I started writing.

> > > > I once more put forth my theory that the Forerunners have a second stash of data hidden within the Sol system. More specifically, Uranus. I also present you with the Halo Encyclopedia’s entry on Uranus, as I believe that it is still relevant to this discussion:
> > > > “Named for the mythical creator of the universe, Uranus is an oddity among planets for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s axial tilt has it poles turned past a ninety-degree angle. Secondly, while freezing and unmapped, it features a number of alarming radiation spikes that have yet to be addressed.
> > > > Much like Saturn, Uranus is much further out from the sun than would be cost effective to investigate. It’s moon are also much less understood than Jupiter’s, while it’s anomalies are worrying.”
> > > >
> > > > Radiation spikes caused by an unknown source; could it be a Forerunner construct hidden in Uranus?
> > >
> > > I was going to mention this in the OP as an addendum, but I figured you might appear. :wink:
> > >
> > > Yes, that does sound quite foreboding. It’s a pretty random thing to slip in if it had no significance, it’s a plot device just waiting to be used.
> >
> > I can’t help it. I guess we are going to have to probe Uranus.
> >
> >
> > XD
>
> Really, Ohizzle? It’s too expensive too probe Uranus.

Please tell me that I missed your joke, and that you didn’t miss mine.

You have a very ‘sound’ theory here OP.
You’ve back it up with hard facts from the books.

I wish i had more to give to this theory at the moment but i’ll have to get back to you. I agree with the post, we need a save button because this thread is worth coming back to.

> You have a very ‘sound’ theory here OP.
> You’ve back it up with hard facts from the books.
>
> I wish i had more to give to this theory at the moment but i’ll have to get back to you. I agree with the post, we need a save button because this thread is worth coming back to.

Thanks. :slight_smile: Perhaps some of the new material coming out will add some more proof to this theory.

Hopefully, when this forum finally comes out of beta stage, we’ll have a save button. I believe “your discussions” is the closest thing we have to that right now.

Very interesting theory, and it certainly is plausible. I’m looking forward to seeing who the new threat is, but either Mendicant better lead the Chief to one big weapon cache, or humanity is screwed, if the threat turns out to be the Precursors, or the Flood, or both.