Rapture or Columbia?

To the Bioshock fans, or anyone who likes the concepts of these cities featured in the games. Which would you rather live in? Before they were utterly ruined.
I ask this because I’ve been going through the Bioshock’s again because they are amazing games, and find it extremely difficult to decide.

Rapture, a city at the bottom of the Atlantic. Free from the confines of political, social and religious anxieties of a post-World War II world. Complete with housing districts, personal transports, attractions, and awesome sight seeing.
Or
Columbia, a floating city in the sky with similar features like Rapture’s. The occupants worship the founding father’s of the US and despise the world below. There are zeppelins for transport, and the city has a schedule of times when it moves around to bring people to other areas of the city.

As cities, where would you rather live. They are both extraordinary which is what makes it so hard for me to decide.

What do you (*points at reader) think?

Also, my descriptions of the cities are quite empty of detail, so if you don’t already know what they are like I would suggest looking them up or something.

Never played Bioshock, but based on your descriptions, I’d choose Rapture.

I absolutely loved bioshock infinite.

When I saw bio 1 & 2 go on sale I bought them for 5 bucks each. However I didn’t enjoy bio 1 as much, (damn big daddys wastin all my ammo) and haven’t bothered to finish it.

I’d rather live in rapture though. I think I’d fit right in with the “libertarian utopia” the city had going and Columbia is a bit to racist and devout for my likings.

I’d live in the city were the Artist would not fear the censor, where the Great would not be constrained by the small, were the Scientist would not be bound by petty morality. I’d to choose live in… Rapture.

They are both great. Columbia was gorgeous, but I think I had more fun in Rapture.

I think in terms of setting, I like Columbia better. Living high in the sky would be a dream, while living in Rapture would be like living in one big aquarium.

Well, if I had to choose which I would prefer to live in, I’d probably have to say Columbia. That’s because Columbia looks beautiful and contains some stunning vistas. Whereas much of Rapture isn’t as visually appealing, even with it’s art-deco designs and marine setting. I like the ocean but I still think Rapture is the lesser of the two cities.

Not to mention the contextual setting of the city’s deep-seated racism and jingoism, which would go against my personal beliefs and interests, but would at least grant me a privileged position in the city as a white male. Living in Columbia sounds as though it would be easier.

But overall, Bioshock offers a better setting and game than Bioshock Infinite. It’s a much more unique experience.

Columbia for the look, Rapture for the people

Rapture. Not because of views. In Columbia everyone’s too stereotypic in my taste. It’s stereotypical, american, deep south town, with racism and local caste of richmen. Rapture is as diverse as it’s characters. Just compare Andrew Ryan and Zachary Comstock - do I need to say more?

Even if Infinite’s story much more -Yoinked!- up, Rapture seems to be much more interesting.

I’d rather live in Rapture but, for me anyway, Infinite was the better game.

> Columbia for the look, Rapture for the people

Huh, that’s actually a really interesting way to look at it, and I kinda agree with your standpoint.

Anyway, life would probably be easier in Columbia seeing as it’s less serious. In Rapture it seems to isolated, though the whole city is connected. I do like an open area.
For example, the workers who built the atlantic express in Rapture were given quite horrible living quarters despite their efforts on building an underground railway, well something similar anyway. Whereas in Columbia the people seemed to be treated rather nicely, though the same can’t be said for those who were discriminated against…

> Rapture. Not because of views. In Columbia everyone’s too stereotypic in my taste. It’s stereotypical, american, deep south town, with racism and local caste of richmen. Rapture is as diverse as it’s characters. Just compare Andrew Ryan and Zachary Comstock - do I need to say more?
>
> Even if Infinite’s story much more -Yoinked!- up, Rapture seems to be much more interesting.

That’s what I love about both cities, they’re parallel to each other. :slight_smile:

> Columbia for the look, Rapture for the people

Completely agree.