Ranking System Theory (win/loss based system)

I have a theory, that a win/loss based ranking system is the most effective way to measure ability in a given game. I want to know what problems there are with this theory, and if I have missed anything please let me know. I hope to build upon this theory with help from you guys.

Introduction

Factors irrelevant to a ranking system can be ignored, these include (but are not limited to) network manipulation and lag. This is also under the assumption that teams begin games on a level footing, with no predetermined advantage (other than ability)

In a win/loss based ranking system, the only way to rank up is by winning more games than you lose. The best way to gain a high rank is by winning consistently.

There are a number of factors which are required to win games in a team-based game:

• Individual Skill (proficiency with weapons, knowledge of maps)
  • Communication (callouts, information on weapon pick-ups)

In team based games, a degree of individual skill is needed to win, but other factors such as communication (call outs) are required, especially as competition becomes more intense. Factors such as communication cannot be accurately measured by an in-game stat.

No mic scenario
Assume two teams composed of players of identical individual skill play each other without communication. Over enough games the ratio of win/loss would be around 50/50. Now consider if one team used effective communication and the other didn’t. It stands to reason that because one now has an advantage, that they will win more games. The best way to illustrate this through a ranking system is by metric which tracks wins to losses.

Your ranking system is very insufficient. To rank up by winning games would be one of the worst ideas ever. If I go into a match of Team Slayer and I get teamed up with all three people being new to Halo and the other team familiar with the game and I lose I should not rank up because of my bad team mates? I don’t think so. I have won games like that but I can’t carry my team all of the time. Unless you are in a party with your friends or have good randoms then what? Come up with another ranking system.

Already been done. That was the Halo 2 ranking system. That was why it was switched to the Halo 3 ranking system based more on skill.

> Your ranking system is very insufficient. To rank up by winning games would be one of the worst ideas ever. If I go into a match of Team Slayer and I get teamed up with all three people being new to Halo and the other team familiar with the game and I lose I should not rank up because of my bad team mates? I don’t think so. I have won games like that but I can’t carry my team all of the time. Unless you are in a party with your friends or have good randoms then what? Come up with another ranking system.

But your idea shifts focus away from winning and competition to stat-padding.

Eventually, the ranking system will put you at an appropriate level, and, provided it works correctly, you will get better teammates as you play more and more games.

> Your ranking system is very insufficient. To rank up by winning games would be one of the worst ideas ever. If I go into a match of Team Slayer and I get teamed up with all three people being new to Halo and the other team familiar with the game and I lose I should not rank up because of my bad team mates? I don’t think so. I have won games like that but I can’t carry my team all of the time. Unless you are in a party with your friends or have good randoms then what? Come up with another ranking system.

Your idea is the worst idea ever. You have absolutely no understanding of statistics.

If you got teamed up with bad players you would still win if you were good enough.

Over many games your luck will average out. It’s the law of large numbers. Keep flipping a coin and eventually the proportion that are heads will converge to 1/2. In the same way, your rank when based on win/loss will converge to your correct skill level.

You won’t get put in a game with 3 players new to Halo on your team and 4 players that are familiar with Halo on the other, because you will be matched by skill.

Just base it on BPR or a similar system.

You need to reward actions that contribute to a team victory.

Not just the win, not just the kills.

> Just base it on BPR or a similar system.
>
> You need to reward actions that contribute to a team victory.
>
> Not just the win, not just the kills.

You reward every single action that contributes to a victory when you make it pure W/L. What else does any action go towards other than the win?

> Already been done. That was the Halo 2 ranking system. That was why it was switched to the Halo 3 ranking system based more on skill.

There was a little more to Halo 2’s system than you might think…

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Content.aspx?link=h2statoverview

Also, Halo 3’s system uses TrueSkill, which is pretty much universal across Xbox Live

In my experience with the two ranking systems, i preferred Halo 2’s. I think that it paired me up with players of simliar skill more often and gave be better games compared to Halo 3’s.

> > Just base it on BPR or a similar system.
> >
> > You need to reward actions that contribute to a team victory.
> >
> > Not just the win, not just the kills.
>
> You reward every single action that contributes to a victory when you make it pure W/L. What else does any action go towards other than the win?

No you don’t.

If you personally do your job and your whole team are a bunch of headless chickens running around trying to do 360 no-scopes, you will lose.

Is that fair? No. It’s matchmaking algorithms that put you with them.

Do your job and you should be rewarded with a solid track record.

> > > Just base it on BPR or a similar system.
> > >
> > > You need to reward actions that contribute to a team victory.
> > >
> > > Not just the win, not just the kills.
> >
> > You reward every single action that contributes to a victory when you make it pure W/L. What else does any action go towards other than the win?
>
> No you don’t.
>
> If you personally do your job and your whole team are a bunch of headless chickens running around trying to do 360 no-scopes, you will lose.
>
> Is that fair? No. It’s matchmaking algorithms that put you with them.
>
> Do your job and you should be rewarded with a solid track record.

Yeah, you will lose. That means you didn’t contribute to the victory, you contributed to the loss.

Is it fair to reward players who get the power weapons all the time, and punish support players?

> > > > Just base it on BPR or a similar system.
> > > >
> > > > You need to reward actions that contribute to a team victory.
> > > >
> > > > Not just the win, not just the kills.
> > >
> > > You reward every single action that contributes to a victory when you make it pure W/L. What else does any action go towards other than the win?
> >
> > No you don’t.
> >
> > If you personally do your job and your whole team are a bunch of headless chickens running around trying to do 360 no-scopes, you will lose.
> >
> > Is that fair? No. It’s matchmaking algorithms that put you with them.
> >
> > Do your job and you should be rewarded with a solid track record.
>
> Yeah, you will lose. That means you didn’t contribute to the victory, you contributed to the loss.
>
> Is it fair to reward players who get the power weapons all the time, and punish support players?

There are too many factors involved in a game to claim that defeat is automatically your fault.

And what I’m saying is exactly reward support players.

Yes, the ranking system in H4 should be based totally off win/loss. Just like every other successful Halo game/playlist has. Look what happened to the arena in Reach. People refused to play it until it was patched for win/loss. If you want a gametype that rewards selfish play then either play social and -Yoink!- K/D or lone wolves.