Ranking System / Placement Matches

It’s honestly not that bad, aside from the stupid placement matches. It’s good that it takes a long time to rank up, but why is there so much emphasis on the first 10 matches? That makes no sense, and shouldn’t determine where you are placed. Everyone should start as Iron and go from there. In my first 10 Breakout matches, I went 4-6 and I was placed in the Bronze category. Since then, I have gone 23-7, and only progressed to Silver. The total record is 27-13 if you include the first 10 matches. By that ratio, that means on an average 10 game series of games, I would go roughly 7-3. When I went 7-3 in my first 10 Slayer placement matches, I was placed in the Onyx category. Since then I have gone 22-11 and have remained Onyx (total record 29-14). So just because my first 10 matches in Breakout weren’t great, now it takes forever to get to where I probably should be based on overall record (Onyx range). It’s rather silly, and very uncompetitive, because there are people of higher skill getting unfairly ranked lower and lower skilled people getting unfairly ranked higher simply because of the first 10 matches. This is leading to very unbalanced teams regardless of the currently meaningless ranks, because there is so much randomness to the system. How could it possibly create evenly matched games, when the ranking system doesn’t accurately reflect skill levels?

In conclusion, the ranking system is good aside from the placement matches. Hopefully the placement matches idea was used just for the beta, as a possible way to get competitive matches faster because of the limited time frame (does not work). This definitely should not be in the final product. Keep the ranking system, throw out the placement matches, and start everyone at Iron. Rank up a little from a win, rank down a little from a loss (how it is currently). Over time, you will be ranked appropriately.

I think the ranking system has been fairly successful, but I wish they gave a little more emphasis on individual performance and would also factor in network latency into that performance measurement.

Overall - those opening 10 games can be a little rough, as the ranking system tests you out against some high level players. But overall, the rank you get seems fairly accurate. I kind of hover around the Onyx 2 range. Middle of the pack decent player. And once I got ranked, I have pretty much stayed at the same rank. I have been wining ~50% of my games… which… is exactly what the ranking system is targeting.

Starting at iron just = crushing noobs for your first 50-100 games until your rank plateaus… which i will miss. But the 10 placement games rank you extremely fast, and fairly well. You could exploit the placement system, and purposely tank your opening 10 games, so you start at iron, and then can climb your way up through the noobs and pretend you a pro.

> 2610345319735860;2:
> I think the ranking system has been fairly successful, but I wish they gave a little more emphasis on individual performance and would also factor in network latency into that performance measurement.
>
> Overall - those opening 10 games can be a little rough, as the ranking system tests you out against some high level players. But overall, the rank you get seems fairly accurate. I kind of hover around the Onyx 2 range. Middle of the pack decent player. And once I got ranked, I have pretty much stayed at the same rank. I have been wining ~50% of my games… which… is exactly what the ranking system is targeting.
>
> Starting at iron just = crushing noobs for your first 50-100 games until your rank plateaus… which i will miss. But the 10 placement games rank you extremely fast, and fairly well. You could exploit the placement system, and purposely tank your opening 10 games, so you start at iron, and then can climb your way up through the noobs and pretend you a pro.

I mean starting everyone at Iron is the same thing as starting everyone at level 1 in the 1-50 system. If everyone is Iron when the game first comes out, that doesn’t mean you would get all noobs, you would get a mixed bag of different skills. Over time, the skilled players would move on to the higher levels, and the lesser skilled would stay back.

Here’s a simple example of why the placement matches make no sense. My total Slayer record is 29-14 (Onyx). My total Breakout record is 30-13 (Silver). The placement matches had way too much impact on my level. How does that make any sense? And it’s not like I’m getting low levels at Silver either, I just had a Semi-Pro in my Breakout match.