Ranking System is Inconsistent and Infuriating.

I’ve been playing Arena recently - a lot of it, actually - and have ranked up a fair amount throughout all game-modes. It’s becoming increasingly frustrating dealing with this ranking system for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason, and arguably the most excruciating, is that the reach of players for ranked seems so inconsistent that it almost appears that ranks truly don’t matter.

For instance, I’ve been playing in Diamond for the better part of two days. After each game, I check the combat statistics and view everyone’s ranks. The teams are just scattered. I’ve seen Silvers play with Onyx, Gold playing with Diamonds, and I can’t wrap my head around how that makes the game fair. If I’m playing in Diamond, I should really only be playing with:

• High Platinum. - All Diamond. - Low Onyx.There should be no reason that I’m getting grouped in with low Gold or high Silvers, but alas, this happens almost every single game that I play. In fact, I have yet to see a game of Arena where the teams actually seem as though they’re balanced properly. Considering the Silvers / Golds, they mostly litter the bottom of the leaderboards during the game, as they can’t contribute as much as a Platinum / Diamond can for obvious reasons. That isn’t balanced at all. That’s the exact opposite of balanced. Maybe someone could shed some light on that for me since that would be my number one issue with the current ranking system.

My other issue is that the system is far too forgiving.

If the way you rank up is purely on wins, then it’s not hard to believe that a horrible player can place in Platinum and never demote out of it. So, some of the people that have lucky win streaks and place really well in qualifiers end up grouping with players of that same division and bring them down substantially. With Arena teams being so scattered, that might not be much of an issue, but if even one game is ruined by a low-ranking player then it proves the system is not doing its job. If someone plays like a Silver then they belong in Silver - they should be able to demote out of divisions just like any other competitive game out there.

All-in-all, I’m having a difficult time playing ranked. I’m not trying to say that it’s completely unfair, but I’d be lying if I said that games haven’t been ruined by players that clearly (1) don’t deserve the rank they placed in or (2) group in teams that are far above their skill level. Personally, I don’t think a system based solely on wins is a very good one. I think it’s lazy and it doesn’t take into account everything that it really should. I think it hand-holds players far too much by allowing them a safety net, so they can play all they want without every dropping to their true rank.

Just my two cents.

yea i agree with this kinda messed up

> 2533274807327992;1:
> If I’m playing in Diamond, I should really only be playing with:
>
> - High Gold.
> - All Diamond.
> - Low Onyx.

• High Platinum
  • All Diamond
  • OnyxThe reason you get matches like that sometimes its because some high ranks add a low ranked account to their fireteam. The only people that get screwed are solo searchers.
    As far as a lucky Platinum with a lucky winning streak, hey everyone has a bad game and maybe that player just had a bad game in your match. I think the ranking system keeps players active in arena unlike halo 3 where people would stop playing in fear of losing their rank.
    I see Onyx players use fake low ranked accounts in their fire team all the time when in reality that gold account you see is really an onyx on a second account. I would not mind playing people on new accounts but the problem for me is that i get low ranked teammates because of it.

> 2533274805919869;3:
> > 2533274807327992;1:
> > If I’m playing in Diamond, I should really only be playing with:
> >
> > - High Gold.
> > - All Diamond.
> > - Low Onyx.
>
>
>
> - High Platinum
> - All Diamond
> - Onyx
> The reason you get matches like that sometimes its because some high ranks add a low ranked account to their fireteam. The only people that get screwed are solo searchers.
> As far as a lucky Platinum with a lucky winning streak, hey everyone has a bad game and maybe that player just had a bad game in your match. I think the ranking system keeps players active in arena unlike halo 3 where people would stop playing in fear of losing their rank.
> I see Onyx players use fake low ranked accounts in their fire team all the time when in reality that gold account you see is really an onyx on a second account. I would not mind playing people on new accounts but the problem for me is that i get low ranked teammates because of it.

The solution might be as a simple as having a solo queue or just not allowing people from different divisions joining an Arena match together.

I posted this in a other thread, these are my feelings on the ranking system. I like arena but… ya… here it is…

The ranking system needs work big time. I like the win/lost thing unlike a lot of others who want it based off K/D (it’s a team game people, sorry) but there ranking system only seem to work well if either 1) Your playing FFA or 2) You play all 10 of your entry games with the same people aka your friends. If you play 4-4 solo with randoms, the system fails HUGE!! and here is why… Let’s say you happen to be “ON” during those 10 entry games, you rip it up!!! well your going to be ranked very high with players who really are that good… but your not really THAT good, but you have moments. Well you can bet you’ll be dragging your team down most of the time then not.

Same thing if you happen to be “OFF” during those first 10 entry games. You’ll be ranked lower then you should and you’ll end up just destroying everyone and you ruin other peoples experiences because your clearly that much better then them. Now people are purposely losing (I’ve seen this many times first hand) to get a low rank to help there k/d OR because they’re tired of playing people who are clearly better then them… this reminds me a bit of Halo 3 boosting but at least in that you always knew who they were and you would destroy them because they really weren’t that good. I still think everyone should just start at the bottom and work your way up (by winning only) and if you lose you go down aka Halo 3 system. Seems pretty simple to me… I don’t know what the problem with it was. I’ve seem SO MANY GAMES try different systems and none work as well as “win you go up, lose you go down” I don’t like these rank resets at all and no one I know of does either.

Also you should only be playing people a few ranks lower or higher then yourself as in if I’m gold 3 I should only be playing people between gold 1-6. If the game can’t match me against that, then it should be the closest to me.

It’s pretty lame getting matched against people much higher rank than you are.

The most frustrating thing for me is going in and getting beaten by LOWER ranks.

Since launch, I’ve consistently ranked high-Diamond/Onyx so I know that’s correct for me, but some games I find myself getting beaten by Golds and Platinums, sometimes badly!

…and I’ve played enough to know that these players do NOT play like the usual Gold or Platinum player. Some high-ranked players are doing some sandbagging I think…

I’ve been in Diamond this whole season about and all my games always have golds in them. It’s no good for anybody because I’m sure people feel bad for going -10 but at the same time people have a legit reason to get mad at you. Can’t count how many games I’ve lost by 3 or 4 kills and someone on my team is -10.

I play a bit with my brother, who is younger and much better than I am in arena. When we party up, we’re always matched with people in his level. This means I’m likely one of those folks who is out of his depth as a gold playing diamonds. Most of the time I can hold my own, but sometimes it’s clear that I’m outmatched.

I’d bet that most of the time you’re seeing these weird matches is with similar party situations. Sure, we could play social, but it’s much more fun playing ranked with voice comms.

I’m fairly certain the ranking system factors in a significant number of variables. It isn’t just based on wins. You also have to consider the fine line between matching equal players and fast queue times. The system likely looks to even the teams first. When X amount of time goes by the even teams requirement probably gets less strict, so as to lower the time needed to get a game.

I don’t get why people complain about the ranks. Stop putting so much emphasis on them and just play the damn game. Given enough time you’ll will be ranked where you should be.

> 2533274873580796;7:
> The most frustrating thing for me is going in and getting beaten by LOWER ranks.
>
> Since launch, I’ve consistently ranked high-Diamond/Onyx so I know that’s correct for me, but some games I find myself getting beaten by Golds and Platinums, sometimes badly!
>
> …and I’ve played enough to know that these players do NOT play like the usual Gold or Platinum player. Some high-ranked players are doing some sandbagging I think…

if you are losing to legit golds and plats you do not belong in onyx sorry :confused: