Ranking System for Halo 5

I know I may getting ahead of myself when talking about Halo 5, but a serious issue in Halo 4 needs to be fixed.

The Halo 4 leveling up system in a nutshell:

• ranks go from SR1-SR130
  • SR1-SR50 is Spartan IV
  • every 10 levels after 50 you can enlist in a new specialization (9 total I think?)
  • experience earned from custom games, war games, spartan ops, challenges, commendations
  • max amount of experience is set per game

The Halo Reach leveling up in a nutshell:

• ranks go up to inheritor (1,000,000’s of credits)
  • more than 20 different ranks
  • credits earned from firefight, matchmaking, campaign, custom games, custom and daily challenges, commendations
  • not a max amount of credits per game set
  • takes a lot longer than Halo 4 to level up

Taking the above into consideration (without going into Halo 3) the Reach ranking system is superior in many ways. The rank structure was a lot longer than Halo 4’s. Credits could also be made in campaign missions. Custom challenges could be set on Waypoint. And there was no maximum credit limit per game.

I liked Reach’s ranking system more than Halo 4’s because it was longer, yet provided more ways to get credits/experience.

In Halo 5 I think 343i should maybe stick to a format much like Halo Reach, and definitely expand the ranking system a little bit more.

What’s your opinion. Any new or interesting pointers or suggestions?

Have both Reach and 3’s system together, Reach to unlock armor or something.

A hybrid Halo 3/Reach system, along with separated ranked/social playlists would be an excellent move for 343. That way, the power to chose how to approach the gameplay (either casually or competitively) would be returned to the player. In the previous two Halos you really could only play casually (Arena is BS and doesn’t count), where as in Halos 2-3 you could chose how you wanted to play the game and were rewarded by taking both routes.

Having a skill-based 1-50 ranking system, alongside a global EXP-based progression system would absolutely work to the game’s advantage and would solve many of Halo 4’s longevity problems.

I like how Halo 4 split the 2 ranking systems with SR based on XP and CSR based on skill. I’d like that or something similar to return. The only change I would make is to find a happy median between Halo Reach ranking and Halo 4 SR. SR130 was way too easy to reach and Reach’s Inheritor is way too much of a grind.

Halo 2’s and Reaches.

Best so far in my mind

> *EXP for Ranking up (ONLY EARNED IN MM) = Just like how Halo 3 had it you get 1xp for each win = A long time from bottom rank to the top rank (No skill required just # of games Won)
>
>
>
>
> *XP per playlist (ONLY EARNED IN MM) = Keeps people coming back for (INSERT RANK HERE)In that playlist again just like HALO 3
>
>
>
>
> *CR/SR/Credits (EARNED IN ALL GAME MODES) for unlocking = Armor - Visors - Weapon Skins - emblems - Stances - weapons if load outs come back - You could earn these from kills in MM/campaign/Spartan Ops - flag caps - assets - basically medals

Here is a link to my topic

One thing I had a major issue with Halo 3’s ranking system is that every time you quit your rank/level went down. I’m not a quitter by any means, but there are times/situations that you have to or need to quit. Halo 3’s ranking may be acceptable for Halo 5, but hopefully joining in games will allow the penalties for quitting to lessen.

I disliked Halo 3’s Win-to-Rank-Up system. This is because I consistently lose my games, and I have an ideology that dictates the following:

> Winning or losing is the least of my concerns. I care more about if I’m enjoying myself, and I care more about how much I get from the game.

Halo Reach’s cR System and Halo 2’s CSR system (for individual playlists) would be ideal for Halo 5. I really don’t want to go back to Halo 3’s style of XP.

@Andy
True with what you mean, but if we had a social and ranked playlist plus one like Reach for unlocks etc, I think all would be happy and fair for the most part. I actually feel this is what is going to happen.

> I disliked Halo 3’s Win-to-Rank-Up system. This is because I consistently lose my games, and I have an ideology that dictates the following:
>
>
>
> > Winning or losing is the least of my concerns. I care more about if I’m enjoying myself, and I care more about how much I get from the game.
>
> Halo Reach’s cR System and Halo 2’s CSR system (for individual playlists) would be ideal for Halo 5. I really don’t want to go back to Halo 3’s style of XP.

That’s a good point, since Reach and Halo 4 all have something good about each, combining them would be good.

This is not my preferable opinion but I think 343 is going to throw something totally different at us for Halo 5. Bungie and 343 seemed to mix up the ranking system in every new game in some way.

the two level up system that I enjoyed was halo 3 because of the skill level in halo 3 you got put at what youre skill level showed

> I disliked Halo 3’s Win-to-Rank-Up system. This is because I consistently lose my games, and I have an ideology that dictates the following:
>
>
>
> > Winning or losing is the least of my concerns. I care more about if I’m enjoying myself, and I care more about how much I get from the game.
>
> Halo Reach’s cR System and Halo 2’s CSR system (for individual playlists) would be ideal for Halo 5. I really don’t want to go back to Halo 3’s style of XP.

I agree, I have returned to halo 3 after such a long time. I’ve won about 4 matches out of about 10. This does not make me a bad player, at first when returning to it i was bad but i’ve been finishing at the top (or at least top 2 or 3) of my team for every match since I’ve lost.

Why should bad players who were lucky enough to be pared with the player that won the match for them be rewarded when I the player who was not only better than most if not all my teammates AND better than most of my opponents?

Halo reach had it right, reward the player.

that said, I would like a skill system along side making a grid style ranking system like halo 3, just not EXP.

> Halo reach had it right, reward the player.

Even if they go -20 and cause their team to lose the match?

Reachs system was a flop
Halo 4s system was a flop
Halo 3 oh Yeah that did Really Really great lets go with that again/needs a few easy tweaks but

I would definitely like to see a combination of Halo 3 and Halo: Reach’s ranking systems. I would like separated playlists, ranked and social, with the favored 1-50 ranking system with some moderate improvements to keep boosters and derankers out without necessarily harming the system that many to this day still love. Halo: Reach’s system would be great for purchasing armor and emblems, or simply put, purchasing power. I don’t want the “everyone wins” platform in this game either. I’d like to receive credits for in-game activities, and experience and rank for winning/losing the game. Basically, the complete Halo 3 ranking system and the credit portion of Reach’s system, modified so that credits are directly attributed to in-game activities and such, along with credits as well, with no ranking to attribute to the credits whatsoever (just trying to be clear here).

There, I just gave a large amount of incentives for people to play. This would be a beautifully-working system, and very successful.

> > Halo reach had it right, reward the player.
>
> Even if they go -20 and cause their team to lose the match?

its better to have bad anomalies than to punish good players in general because there’s no good system in place.

> > > Halo reach had it right, reward the player.
> >
> > Even if they go -20 and cause their team to lose the match?
>
> its better to have bad anomalies than to punish good players in general because there’s no good system in place.

No, its a mindset difference. Do we reward everyone and make them feel like winners regardless of their actual performance? Or do we make the game competitive and only reward people for winning their matches?

Personally, I prefer the latter. For those who like getting something for doing bad, theres always COD and BF.

Halo 3 Ranking System exactly how it is.

Halo has never needed nor does it need a progressive ranking system. Maybe as a secondary like they did with Halo 3 once you reached your peak level, you gained bars or stars.

Progressive ranks is what causes stat whores and so forth. Go back to what worked, Halo 2.

You win against better rank average, x1.25 multipler
You win against same rank average, x1 multipler
You win against weaker rank average, x0.75 multipler

You lose to better rank average, x0.25 multipler deduction
You lose to same rank average, x0.5 multipler deduction
You lose to weaker rank average, x0.75 multipler deduction

*Top performer on losing team should have a slightly smaller in deduction than the rest or his team.

Done

In terms of a skill based ranking system we all know its going to be calculated using Trueskill, its Microsoft’s system and its going to be required. As for the format I’ve been saying it for years and I’ll continue to say it here. Halo needs a seasonal/league system like LoL, SC, DotA, CoD, and various other competitive titles. It adds more replay value and is more meaningful than H3’s 1-50.

As for a XP based progression system I’d like one that’s in between Reach’s and H4’s in length and I’d like it to be based on actual UNSC ranks.