Ranking system for Arena

Kill3r5689 here and I have an idea on how to make the ranking system for Arena to be more balanced. I may just be a 22 year old college student, but this again is just an idea I had and my general opinion.

I believe it could be better if the ranking system isn’t primarily focused on how well you work as a team, but by a combination of that and how well you can get kills. KDA is definitely a key factor in how my combination idea is going to work. Lets say you are a good player and you just keep ending up with a bad team; while your KDA is positive. you still end up becoming a bronze, silver, or gold rank depending on the winning percentage for the last 22 games. I find this to be completely imbalanced as no matter the parameters of your search be it balanced, focused, or expanded you still don’t get the rank that is correlating with your KDA as a whole. I understand the fairness, but I’m seeing that most players on halo aren’t wearing a mic and don’t normally team up with one another and go lone gunning into the battle. Some not all players actually do have a mic and end up teaming up with other spartans, but the odds of finding such players are slim if not rare.

Again this is just an opinion and an idea, so you may or may not care. That is your prerogative, but please hear this out and kindly debate this with me in a respectful and objective manner.

Thank you

Personally I don’t like the idea of KDA being involved. 3 main reasons for that:

• Discourages cooperation (unless assists start getting counted in KDA) - Encourages spawn-killing, camping, and generally negative game behaviour - Detracts from what a lot of groups (c.f. clans, spartan companies etc.) are trying to doNow: sure: if everyone playing the game is a lone wolf with no mic then your plan makes sense, but for me that’s not what Halo’s about: halo should be about a team, a community, and working together. I quite regularly will team up with a pal who takes on the role of marksman with a BR/Magnum, while I take a plasma pistol/something like an AR to strip shields and a shotgun or similar for close support: I’ll quite often die 2-3 times for every 5 kills he gets, but it’s a good trade-off for the team. Or when vehicles are involved: if I’m driving the warthog sure I can get splatters, but trying to get them increases the chance of being boarded/grenaded and/or getting your gunner into a position where he gets killed: so why bother? Stay at your gunner’s optimal range and let him rack up the kills.

I appreciate that’s not everyone’s playstyle, but I’d far rather be bottom of the scoreboard in a winning team, but with a bunch of assists and positive contributions than lose half my games, but be the top-scorer and spending half the game on the lookout for an kill I can steal from a teammate.

Obviously for any form of objective-based game: although someone on the team focusing on crowd control can be a really good idea having one of your team not bothering with the objective and only focusing on their own KDA is one of the worst buzzkills out there.

This is true, but i was more so stating that combining the two and having it be a combination of how halo 3 was and how halo 5 is. It is indeed optimal when teams work together, but as i said earlier, it is rare to find them and companies that are just beginning have a low member count and can play arena with one random being placed with them. Or having a huge company and only truly being able to play war zone which is not ranked and then have to pair off and then go play arena.

I agree that KDA ratio and games won and lost should determine what rank you are somewhat. For some reason, I was ranked Diamond 4 in the SWAT playlist. I haven’t played SWAT in a long while and I felt kind of rusty playing it. To me I think I should be in the gold range or something.

> 2535410182077229;3:
> This is true, but i was more so stating that combining the two and having it be a combination of how halo 3 was and how halo 5 is. It is indeed optimal when teams work together, but as i said earlier, it is rare to find them and companies that are just beginning have a low member count and can play arena with one random being placed with them. Or having a huge company and only truly being able to play war zone which is not ranked and then have to pair off and then go play arena.

That’s why mid-sized companies are the best - or companies who play whatever…

I get what you’re saying though… I just think all the various options say a lot about where we want the focus of the franchise’s MP to be and I would much rather keep it as cooperative as possible. Halo 3’s MP was awesome, but I tended to find you got a lot more 1 vs 1 duels in it, which made KDA more relevant. Ever since Reach I think the move has been more towards cooperation, which I absolutely love. H4 especially I repeatedly found myself really lamenting my lack of a wingman as you just got shot from all sides.

I think they already do this to be honest. I find that games won and lost only affect my rank after the placement matches. In the placement matches themselves, it’s my individual performance and how well I did compared to the ranks both on my team and on the other team that dictates my initial placement. For example, I’ve won all 10 placement games, but I was carried for most of them and I got diamond. I’ve lost half of the 10 placement matches, but because I was doing the best I was rewarded with onyx. I’ve also lost all 10 placement matches, and played poorly, but because I happened to be playing against other onyxes and even champions, in some games, I was rewarded with an Onyx. I think their algorithm is already a lot more complicated than we give it credit for.

that is true, but as you can see there is a bit of imbalance there.

They can do it this way.

Winning team
1st +20 csr
2nd +15 csr
3rd +10 csr
4th +5 csr

Losing team
1st -5 csr
2nd -10 csr
3rd -15 csr
4th -20 csr

Draw 0 csr
dnf -35 csr

I also feel that to appropriately determine a teams csr loss/gain that ranked matches need a set of games on different maps/modes. Like a best 3 out of 5 situation. Just because you beat a team once dose not mean you are better. It is much about consistency.

Yep I agree performance in games should be included for you’re playlist rank. You can be a bad player in a good team and end up in Diamond…