Ranking is now pointless...

Why would I want to get my rank up if it’s just going to be reset at the end of the month? It took me years to achieve my rank in Halo 2 and 3, and that was part of the fun. I liked to see my skill level and try to improve it. But now it just gets reset, and all my hard work is wasted. Am I missing something?

It really was a dumb idea to do ranks this way. I understand the idea behind resetting the ranks, but I put in a bunch of work to get to Onyx in Slayer during the pre-season and I hated that I only got to enjoy Onyx for two days. Maybe they will make a better ranking system in the next Halo game

Your highest rank is always the first and most prominent rank on waypoint. It’s still there lol
Personally I like the reset, but feel we should be given the choice, like prestige in CoD

I’m going to be honest, I feel the same way, but not exactly.

It can be fun to rank up, so some players might find it stale if they are stuck at a certain level for extended periods of time. However, the MAIN purpose of any rank system should be to ensure that you find an elo where you are consistently placed in competitive games. A consequence of this intelligent system, is that it can become addictive (a good thing), but also that the number can become more important than the system itself. While some definitely focused on the number as a means to confirm their progress, others merely cared about the status it brought.

The reason for the reset, probably to eliminate rank lock, and smurfs. It might not eliminate smurfs, but potentially pursuade them not to waste their time on selling accounts and what not. (I’ve always said though, if no one is selling accounts for your game, its probably not good)

> 2533274952593678;3:
> Your highest rank is always the first and most prominent rank on waypoint. It’s still there lol
> Personally I like the reset, but feel we should be given the choice, like prestige in CoD

Sure we can still see it, but I want to see it myself every time I log onto the game. I wanna be able to see the ranks I worked hard for when I go to matchmaking, and now the rank I worked hard for is gone. Using Halo 3 as an example, if I worked hard to get a 50 in, say, Team Slayer, why would I wanna have to redo all of that hard work after I already did my time for the rank? I don’t know how else to describe the way I feel about it to someone who doesn’t feel the same way. I just want to keep having the pleasure of seeing my hard earned rank whenever I go into the matchmaking menu, you know? I like the grind for ranks, I just don’t want the rank taken away from me every month and a half or so

If we were given the choice to reset ranks, I would choose not to. I play Halo often enough that I’m not gonna just start getting bad all of a sudden, so if I reached Onyx and I continue to play and improve, chances are I’m still gonna deserve that Onyx by the end of January

I don’t care about ranks anyways, reset them or don’t I don’t mind.

I dislike it as well. I want to feel as though I am working towards something and all of a sudden the rug is pulled out from under me and I have to start from scratch. irrespective of your highest rank displaying on Waypoint having it reset in-game is just annoying.

I really don’t see the point of a reset. People will still end up where they were before 90% of the time. I also don’t understand the desire to be in Onyx other than simply bragging rights. Am I the only one that plays simply because the game is fun?

You’re missing the point of a ranking system. It’s not a progression system. The purpose of the system is not to give you something to work for, but to give an estimate of your skill compared to other players. Sure, you can work to get better at the game, but you shouldn’t get too attached to your rank, or think that you need to get to the highest rank.

In this context, resetting ranks every now and then makes some sense because people’s skills change over time. Resetting the ranks ensures that the rank remains responsive to changes in skill.

If you’re more interested in having some kind of permanent trophy for your achievements, then maybe you shouldn’t be so concerned about your current rank. Your service record does retain your all time highest CSR, which is probably what you should be working for if that’s your thing.

Also if you played Halo 2 or 3 as much as you said you did, you would know especially in 3 the more games you played the harder it was to rank up. If it took you say 30 games to get to the 40’s most likely you would only need 2 wins in a row to rank up. If it took you say 100 games to get to 40 it might take you 6 wins in a row to go up in rank. SOme people just got rank locked because they played so many games and were on a certain rank for so long.

> 2533274792641480;1:
> Why would I want to get my rank up if it’s just going to be reset at the end of the month? It took me years to achieve my rank in Halo 2 and 3, and that was part of the fun. I liked to see my skill level and try to improve it. But now it just gets reset, and all my hard work is wasted. Am I missing something?

Hint hint, that’s why a 1-50 rank is needed. Its more rewarding and exciting

> 2533274832183516;11:
> > 2533274792641480;1:
> > Why would I want to get my rank up if it’s just going to be reset at the end of the month? It took me years to achieve my rank in Halo 2 and 3, and that was part of the fun. I liked to see my skill level and try to improve it. But now it just gets reset, and all my hard work is wasted. Am I missing something?
>
>
> Hint hint, that’s why a 1-50 rank is needed. Its more rewarding and exciting

That’s claptrap a 1 - 50 rank is just a -Yoink-, And the ranks should be reset as they clearly stated it shows your previous rank regardless so this thread is another pointless load of drivel.

Rank resets are perfect. I remember getting 50’s in H3 and then never touching that playlist again.

You can look at it this way, if you started Gold in the preseason and then ranked all the way up to Onyx, then you should not have a problem to rank in Diamond-Onyx in the 10 placement games, since clearly your skill has increased. You will then be able to get to Onyx quicker and compete in the Onyx bracket longer. I myself was in Onyx in the majority of the playlists, since the release of the game, and it’s nice to be able to fight for a rank again, because I know I don’t play enough to get a Champion.

> 2533274825830455;9:
> You’re missing the point of a ranking system. It’s not a progression system. The purpose of the system is not to give you something to work for, but to give an estimate of your skill compared to other players. Sure, you can work to get better at the game, but you shouldn’t get too attached to your rank, or think that you need to get to the highest rank.
>
> In this context, resetting ranks every now and then makes some sense because people’s skills change over time. Resetting the ranks ensures that the rank remains responsive to changes in skill.
>
> If you’re more interested in having some kind of permanent trophy for your achievements, then maybe you shouldn’t be so concerned about your current rank. Your service record does retain your all time highest CSR, which is probably what you should be working for if that’s your thing.

This is spot on. The purpose of a ranking system at its core is to help provide a better matchmaking experience by matching you with players of a similar skill level. By resetting the ranks you are getting an opportunity to show that you either deserve to be moved up dramatically, or if your skill is no longer up to par in your old rank, you can be moved down where the games will be more competative. If you want to have a rank that “progresses”, thats what your SR is for. Work on getting that to 150. Have fun.

> 2582868000597096;14:
> > 2533274825830455;9:
> > You’re missing the point of a ranking system. It’s not a progression system. The purpose of the system is not to give you something to work for, but to give an estimate of your skill compared to other players. Sure, you can work to get better at the game, but you shouldn’t get too attached to your rank, or think that you need to get to the highest rank.
> >
> > In this context, resetting ranks every now and then makes some sense because people’s skills change over time. Resetting the ranks ensures that the rank remains responsive to changes in skill.
> >
> > If you’re more interested in having some kind of permanent trophy for your achievements, then maybe you shouldn’t be so concerned about your current rank. Your service record does retain your all time highest CSR, which is probably what you should be working for if that’s your thing.
>
>
> This is spot on. The purpose of a ranking system at its core is to help provide a better matchmaking experience by matching you with players of a similar skill level. By resetting the ranks you are getting an opportunity to show that you either deserve to be moved up dramatically, or if your skill is no longer up to par in your old rank, you can be moved down where the games will be more competative. If you want to have a rank that “progresses”, thats what your SR is for. Work on getting that to 150. Have fun.

I agree as well. To progress up the ranks is mostly focused on either winning and losing and what ranks you play against. So someone who isn’t very good at the game could just have 3 friends that are really awesome and carry them up the ranks. The true test of your skill is what you rank in the placement matches. So it makes sense to reset your ranks and also gives you a chance to see if you have improved.

This “season” crap already failed in Reach. It’s incredibly annoying, and yes, the fact that all of your hard work gets tossed down the toilet is so dumb. Ranks have been pointless in this game since launch IMO, people getting put directly into Champion who are awful, and incredibly unbalanced games have ruined it for me. At this point, give me a variety of social playlists with “Playlist EXP” ranks ala H3 and I’ll be happy. Just need SOMETHING to grind towards in a playlist.

I actually like this a lot the way it is. Something new to work toward every month. Plus if you accidentally get placed to high, you get a chance to get placed lower the next month. Or if you are too low you can work up. It keeps you around your level all the time. I do prefer the 1-50 that we had in H2 and H3 H4 better but this is pretty decent. As long as I am placed in my average skill level against other average skill level players then I am happy.

I stick mainly with Warzone anyway since it has JIP.

Yea rank resetting needs to go away and it needs to go back to 1-50.

> 2535434000226448;4:
> I’m going to be honest, I feel the same way, but not exactly.
>
> It can be fun to rank up, so some players might find it stale if they are stuck at a certain level for extended periods of time. However, the MAIN purpose of any rank system should be to ensure that you find an elo where you are consistently placed in competitive games. A consequence of this intelligent system, is that it can become addictive (a good thing), but also that the number can become more important than the system itself. While some definitely focused on the number as a means to confirm their progress, others merely cared about the status it brought.
>
> The reason for the reset, probably to eliminate rank lock, and smurfs. It might not eliminate smurfs, but potentially pursuade them not to waste their time on selling accounts and what not. (I’ve always said though, if no one is selling accounts for your game, its probably not good)

yup this rank system is a bore fest

> 2533274793248262;18:
> Yea rank resetting needs to go away and it needs to go back to 1-50.

1-50 4 life