Ranked Vs. Unranked

So, I’m going to just start by saying Halo: Reach had my favorite unlock system as far as gear went. It just made the most sense and seemed the most realistic IMO. I loved Halo 4’s multiplayer the most and I liked how specific commendations would unlock specific things and you could see the things you wanted to unlock and work towards them. It was a pain but it was always worth it. Now they’ve introduced ranked matches in Halo 5. I still love the multiplayer, but Halo 5 is definitely my least favorite of these three. (The only ones I’ve played online) and I’m wondering if anyone else has this same thought that I do. I feel there should be ranked and unranked games for the same game types. For example, swat is my favorite game type. But I feel like there should be ranked matches for when I get a group or team together and unranked matches for when I want to play at a more casual pace. Does that make sense? I was thinking, I feel bad when my KDR goes real negative in a match and we lose when the best guy in my team dominated. Or when I do real well and someone on my team craps the bed I get bothered. It just seems unfair that someone could perform really well, and still lose rank because of other players. (Though it seems somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of my deaths in Swat are from players who are constantly jumping or happen to be facing the general direction where I spawn)

We have that. It’s called the “Social” tab of Halo 5.

Well, yes. But it doesn’t include games like Swat.

So? And Ranked doesn’t include Skirmish. Ranked/Unranked playlists shouldn’t be mirror images of each other. That’s pointless.

I agree that not everything should be mirrored for sure, I just think there should be an unranked option, or that the games should be ranked based on your individual performance, you know? I guess I just miss being able to play The games that are now ranked more casually.

It sounds to me like you have that very common misconception that unranked playlists are less sweaty than ranked. Not so, my friend. Not so. If I could let you borrow my time machine and travel back to the days of ranked/social in Halo 3 then you would find a game where ranked play was brutal, and unranked was even more so because of the looser skill parameters. I suppose those matches might feel less sweaty to the guys on the right side of the imbalance, but for every player who gets a cake walk match, there’s another player who gets the shaft. That’s the ugly truth behind the illusion of “less competitive” social playlists. In the end it would be a lot easier for you to just quit worrying about your rank than it would be to get the non-existent social playlist utopia you’re imagining.

> 2533274873843883;6:
> It sounds to me like you have that very common misconception that unranked playlists are less sweaty than ranked. Not so, my friend. Not so. If I could let you borrow my time machine and travel back to the days of ranked/social in Halo 3 then you would find a game where ranked play was brutal, and unranked was even more so because of the looser skill parameters. I suppose those matches might feel less sweaty to the guys on the right side of the imbalance, but for every player who gets a cake walk match, there’s another player who gets the shaft. That’s the ugly truth behind the illusion of “less competitive” social playlists. In the end it would be a lot easier for you to just quit worrying about your rank than it would be to get the non-existent social playlist utopia you’re imagining.

Hmm. Yeah, I see what you’re saying. It’s not so much my personal rank I care for, though. I mostly just feel bad for the games when I have an awful round (or 12) and I drag down someone else’s rank and they actually care. Halo 3 was real fun, though. Wish I had had the chance to play it online. (Also, I may run out of allowable posts for the day pretty soon here)

> 2533274866830952;7:
> > 2533274873843883;6:
> > It sounds to me like you have that very common misconception that unranked playlists are less sweaty than ranked. Not so, my friend. Not so. If I could let you borrow my time machine and travel back to the days of ranked/social in Halo 3 then you would find a game where ranked play was brutal, and unranked was even more so because of the looser skill parameters. I suppose those matches might feel less sweaty to the guys on the right side of the imbalance, but for every player who gets a cake walk match, there’s another player who gets the shaft. That’s the ugly truth behind the illusion of “less competitive” social playlists. In the end it would be a lot easier for you to just quit worrying about your rank than it would be to get the non-existent social playlist utopia you’re imagining.
>
> Hmm. Yeah, I see what you’re saying. It’s not so much my personal rank I care for, though. I mostly just feel bad for the games when I have an awful round (or 12) and I drag down someone else’s rank and they actually care. Halo 3 was real fun, though. Wish I had had the chance to play it online. (Also, I may run out of allowable posts for the day pretty soon here)

I sympathize there. I’m the king of letting down my team and I don’t like it any more than you do, but that’s the nature of any random-match multiplayer game. Just as you have to be tolerant of the scrub you get teamed with, so to do you have to have faith that others will be tolerant when you’re the scrub. That’s the multiplayer social contract. Any player who genuinely loses his cool over the inferiority of his teammates (and yes, I’ve been around plenty of them) is somebody who’s got their head up their -yoink!- and somebody over whom you should lose no sleep. Life is too short. Play for fun, not for rank. Worry about your own good time. As soon as you make everybody else’s fun your own personal responsibility then you’ve started down a dark and lonesome and thankless road. Best of luck.

This game is ultra sweaty regardless of ranks, take a look at this.
Every match feels like a worlds tournament and I’m qualifying for my seed spot.