Ranked vs. Social

In Halo 3, one of my favorite set-ups was with the playlists in that they offered social (non-ranked) and ranked matches. This meant I could focus on skill when I wanted and just play with my other friends when I wanted in a relaxed playlist. Unfortunately, it seems an ultimatum has arisen with matchmaking in Halo 4.

I am the best player on my friends list, outranking the second-best of my friends by 20 CSR. When I play alone, my CSR goes up and I am focusing on skill. However, when I want to just relax with my friends, they are thrown into terribly difficult matches. My score is too high in the matches to get my CSR down, and we never win, so my CSR never goes up.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the ranking system. I have been waiting for a good way to add a bit more competitive edge to the game, but it comes at the sacrifice of relaxed/casual gaming. It is impossible for me to separate my playlists that are for competitive gaming and casual gaming. And when we DO win, my skill goes up even more and I leave them further behind in the dust. It has gotten to the point that none of my IRL friends want to play with me because the games are too difficult.

I am not saying we remove ranks, I would just like to see a playlist or two that is social (like an unranked slayer playlist). I know I cannot be the only player that this is happening to, even if the other players don’t know it yet, but my friend and I figured up the logistics of playing together, and it simply cannot work with the current ranking system.

I hope everyone reading will agree that social playlists are something that can only improve the experience for players. Please vote in the poll and help gain support to see if this can turn into something.

And this is exactly where 343 screwed up. Playing Ranked wasn’t about being a “try-hard,” it was about having a choice. I often got tired of Social and felt like having a go at trying to rank up, so I could just jump from one playlist to another effortlessly to do just that. It added some variety to Halo, it was damn good and exciting.

I bet most people who want Ranked probably feel the same way as I do. I don’t want ranks back because I think I’m MLG, I want them back because I hate having the option to choose what I want to play taken away from me.

It bugs me to no end. They try to force feed us their vision of Halo and remove in-game ranks because they don’t like them. Well, newsflash: you don’t make the game for you to play among yourselves in the office, you make it for the millions of Halo fans out there who appreciate having a choice to play whatever the hell they want to.

You take that away from them and they’re not going to be a bit pissed off…

I liked that setup, too. Mind you, I HATED Halo 3’s busted ranking system, but the playlist setup worked great, especially with DLC; on one hand, you had Ranked playlists with pretty basic gametypes and maps that anyone could play without having to buy DLC.

On the other hand, you had Social playlists, which were often DLC required (so you had plenty of places to play the maps you paid for) plus more gametypes, more players, and all-around it was more fun.

I played mostly Ranked when I first started in Halo 3; then I bought the DLC, got access to Social playlists and never looked back.

All of Halo 4 is social

The Ranks you talk about are only there if u look for them – just keep playing and don’t even bother looking at CSR

Although I agree Halo 3s system of Rank and Social was 100% better.

> I liked that setup, too. Mind you, I HATED Halo 3’s busted ranking system.

How was it busted as u say if u don’t mind me asking?

As that system was 100% better then what Reach or Halo 4 has …

I like the separate lists. One for when I feel like trying and one for when I just wanna chill. They should reintroduce this but with a better ranking system.

Halo 2 ranking system?

Halo 4 has never been ranked…

> Halo 4 has never been ranked…

Actually, players are ranked via skill levels for every playlist. Check it out if you desire.

Anyway… I would describe myself as a casual player. There are times when I want to seriously crack some skulls and many more times where I just want to do some blasting’n relaxing whilst heavily intoxicated. One thing I loved about previous titles is that they had casual, or social, playlist. Areas where you could do some gaming without worrying about being overwhelmed by full teams of Xbox Live partied tryhards 24/7.

I would truly settle for a team objective based playlist where no parties are allowed, if anything.

Ranked and Social playlists in Halo 3 led to too many players never playing ranked matches so that they could keep their rank low and play with lesser-skilled players (I had an unranked account that I used for a long time, so I know very well that this works). The only way to combat this is to have every playlist be ranked. But of course, you want people to be able to play without worrying about rank, so rank is available online for those who want to know, but for those who don’t want to know, it’s not shown in-game.

It’s also very possible that the reason it’s shown only on Waypoint is that CSR wasn’t planned for in the game’s UI because it wasn’t launched until six months after the game released.

Well, the basic problem is that the rank DOES matter. Many of you cannot see your rank, but it is on your service record on the website, and it indeed does change what type of players you will face. That is why I murdered my first few games of slayer when i came back after the ranking system, but soon I we leveling off. It is because they focus on matching you with people that are your same skill.

This is a good idea, it just gets in the way when you are trying to get two players with greatly-differing skills to play together, which is where I am since I outrank every person on my friends list that I play with by 20, and some by 30.

I just hope we can get 343 to notice and help us make a change. Thanks to everyone for your input.

I would like to see that return, I consider myself a casual gamer and I like having fun. If they bring those playlist back for halo 5 I can enjoy MM a little bit more. But not the halo 3 ranking system no >_>

Isn’t this a moot point? For most intents and purposes the matchmaking system of either ranked or social categories worked the exact same way (except for guests). Even the placebo effect of a visual ranking system is moot too because attitudes based on such trivial qualities are (IMO) easily overpowered by the hard conditioning of gameplay. In living dead, for example, the objectives and scoring mechanics and how you ultimately kill people all work to make the gametype a competitive one (ie. that you play to win even if that comes at the costs of more interesting gameplay) in spite of how it scoffs at a few competitive conventions.

By that token there hasn’t ever been a truly social playlist or hopper, one where people can play for the stupid fun of playing the game (ie. that through gameplay mechanics encourages you to do things that are enjoyable even if they are ultimately self-defeating.) So why pretend that there’s a ranked/social distinction? In practice, it’s all the same angsty grind for points so you might as well present it as such.

> > I liked that setup, too. Mind you, I HATED Halo 3’s busted ranking system.
>
> How was it busted as u say if u don’t mind me asking?
>
> As that system was 100% better then what Reach or Halo 4 has …

I agree. The biggest problem we have now IMO is you can’t search without a full team. If you go in with threes and match a beastly team of four ;), you can guarantee matchmaking will not give you a good enough teammate to compete with.

I miss ranked playlists :frowning:

> By that token there hasn’t ever been a truly social playlist or hopper, one where people can play for the stupid fun of playing the game (ie. that through gameplay mechanics encourages you to do things that are enjoyable even if they are ultimately self-defeating.)

Very interesting way to put it.

The difference between ranked and social is really more about the attitudes that the players have rather than the gameplay itself. In a ranked playlist, if you do poorly and lose, your teammates will verbally abuse you until your inner child bursts into tears, blaming you for their rank not going up. In a social playlist, since there is no rank, losing a game doesn’t have an impact other than the frustration of losing in itself, so it’s not as big of a deal.

> All of Halo 4 is social
>
> The Ranks you talk about are only there if u look for them – just keep playing and don’t even bother looking at CSR
>
>
>
> Although I agree Halo 3s system of Rank and Social was 100% better.

Telling people not to care isn’t exactly an ideal solution IMO.

Mis-type.

> > Halo 4 has never been ranked…
>
> Actually, players are ranked via skill levels for every playlist. Check it out if you desire.
>
> Anyway… I would describe myself as a casual player. There are times when I want to seriously crack some skulls and many more times where I just want to do some blasting’n relaxing whilst heavily intoxicated. One thing I loved about previous titles is that they had casual, or social, playlist. Areas where you could do some gaming without worrying about being overwhelmed by full teams of Xbox Live partied tryhards 24/7.
>
> I would truly settle for a team objective based playlist where no parties are allowed, if anything.

Exactly my point as-well; It’s not so much how it’s ranked it’s that it’s ranked without exception. I don’t have an issue with the new updates they have implemented as this ultimately makes matchmaking fairer, but doesn’t address situations where I don’t want to be ranked (when I’m drunk, with unskilled friends or when I’ve just not played in a while to name a few examples)

halo 3’s style all the way

> > > Halo 4 has never been ranked…
> >
> > Actually, players are ranked via skill levels for every playlist. Check it out if you desire.
> >
> > Anyway… I would describe myself as a casual player. There are times when I want to seriously crack some skulls and many more times where I just want to do some blasting’n relaxing whilst heavily intoxicated. One thing I loved about previous titles is that they had casual, or social, playlist. Areas where you could do some gaming without worrying about being overwhelmed by full teams of Xbox Live partied tryhards 24/7.
> >
> > I would truly settle for a team objective based playlist where no parties are allowed, if anything.
>
> Exactly my point as-well; It’s not so much how it’s ranked it’s that it’s ranked without exception. I don’t have an issue with the new updates they have implemented as this ultimately makes matchmaking fairer, but doesn’t address situations where I don’t want to be ranked (when I’m drunk, with unskilled friends or when I’ve just not played in a while to name a few examples)

hear, hear! I definitely like to get my drink on and play some nights, and it would be nice to have that aspect. basically all i have now is griffball, actionsack, and such…

100% they need Ranked and Social playlists