Ranked team play

Through my time grinding on this game in 3s, I have brainstormed a few ways to make team play more competitive and entertaining. The following statements are with regards to ranked 3V3s:
1. Limit one specific leader per team. This would allow for more diverse and exciting team play. Having to coordinate different leaders selections and combinations should be an integral part of team play. Additionally, this would inhibit the ability to take advantage of balance exploits (e.g. Forge, Kinsano, Jerome, Serina, YapYap, etc.)
2. Boosting has been an issue on the leaderboards. Do not allow certain levels to compete in ranked. For example, a level 12 should be forced to play team war instead of ranked. This would not allow for unskilled players to compete against competitive teams and inhibit the ability of certain players to boost their rank on the leaderboards.
3. A countdown before a match begins. Most competitive video games have a countdown going into a match. Actually, in order to become an MLG FPS game, you have to have a countdown timer that fits their guidelines. This allows plays to all be ready at the same time for a match. In the current state of death match, as soon as you’re done loading the game, the match begins. It goes from loading to game. All we need is a 3 second timer to make sure everyone is in the game and ready to play!

I just wanted to say thank you for the developers for fixing dodging. This has really encouraged me and others to play more!
Side note: There should be an incentive for placing in the top ten on the leaderboards. Maybe a gamerpic, maybe something else.

1st and most important step to making high level 3’s better is to of course BAN M000sey for good. He’s more of a team war kind of guy.

Beyond that I completely agree with each of your points.

The one leader per team idea is great because it allows each small advantages each leader has to shine while not letting them become abusive when done 3x. For example, on its own bunker drop from Johnson is a pretty good ability that has its purpose and is balanced. Then again having 3 bunker drops with marines/ Johnson at your base 5 minutes into the game is a little much. I realize this is an inherent problem in team RTS games which are balanced around 1V1 but I do believe this could be a good change and would certainly make games much more interesting and be a good way to encourage creativity, which to me is the most important aspect to consider.

However, implementation of one leader per team would be difficult for people not entering the playlist as a team. If someone’s leader of choice is taken by a teammate they may decide to back out, restarting the search and making it ever harder to get a game than it already is.

#banthem000sey

> 2533274931153795;2:
>

What is this? Is this a troll? Are you trolling? I don’t understand what’s going on here.

> 2533274919601441;3:
> > 2533274931153795;2:
> >
>
> What is this? Is this a troll? Are you trolling? I don’t understand what’s going on here.

Appears they are in the same Spartan Company.

Relevant to the thread, i’d definitely back out if someone stole Atriox from me :slight_smile:

> 2533274908554466;4:
> > 2533274919601441;3:
> > > 2533274931153795;2:
> > >
> >
> > What is this? Is this a troll? Are you trolling? I don’t understand what’s going on here.
>
> Appears they are in the same Spartan Company.
>
> Relevant to the thread, i’d definitely back out if someone stole Atriox from me :slight_smile:

Haha Assimilate is a teammate of mine. I understand that having one leader per team would set certain hurdles, especially for random solo searchers; however, the majority of games worth playing are team vs. team. Maybe make a solo queing playlist for ranked? I know other games like rocket league do this. Team v. team is inherently a different kind of ranked play and deserves to be treated as such. I would take diversity over a solo searching chap rage quitting because he didn’t take his leader any day over a triple forge.

> 2533274919601441;3:
> > 2533274931153795;2:
> >
>
> What is this? Is this a troll? Are you trolling? I don’t understand what’s going on here.

Yes, Kinda?

M000SEY is The RTS Yoda of 3v3 but he’s just been holding my seat while I’ve been on Vacation/Getting back into the game👌.

(PS: AssimilateTh1s And M00SEY are friends)

With all that said…
I would like these changes and im sure it would make the competitive scene even better but,
I doubt the devs would do something like this.
Why?

1. Limited amount of leaders without the DLC
  2. Not Enough Players
  3. You mean like in blitz?

> 2533275008266928;6:
> > 2533274919601441;3:
> > > 2533274931153795;2:
> > >
> >
> > What is this? Is this a troll? Are you trolling? I don’t understand what’s going on here.
>
> Yes, Kinda?
>
> M000SEY is The RTS Yoda of 3v3 but he’s just been holding my seat while I’ve been on Vacation/Getting back into the game👌.
>
> (PS: AssimilateTh1s And M00SEY are friends)
>
> With all that said…
> I would like these changes and im sure it would make the competitive scene even better but,
> I doubt the devs would do something like this.
> Why?
> 1. Limited amount of leaders without the DLC
> 2. Not Enough Players
> 3. You mean like in blitz?

Just a 3 second timer would be sufficient; but, yes, like blitz. Not sure why blitz has one and deathmatch doesn’t lol. Most players have seasons pass, right? If they don’t have DLC then this would sway them into getting it. There might be more players if the kids learning and solo searching didn’t get absolutely stomped against a team that communicates and has strats lol.

I think creating a solo searching ranked 3v3 playlist would be nothing but a great thing for the community. I won’t ever have to play ones again!

> 2533274859121701;5:
> > 2533274908554466;4:
> > > 2533274919601441;3:
> > > > 2533274931153795;2:
> > > > 1st and most important step to making high level 3’s better is to of course BAN M000sey for good. He’s more of a team war kind of guy.
> > > >
> > > > Beyond that I completely agree with each of your points.
> > > >
> > > > The one leader per team idea is great because it allows each small advantages each leader has to shine while not letting them become abusive when done 3x. For example, on its own bunker drop from Johnson is a pretty good ability that has its purpose and is balanced. Then again having 3 bunker drops with marines/ Johnson at your base 5 minutes into the game is a little much. I realize this is an inherent problem in team RTS games which are balanced around 1V1 but I do believe this could be a good change and would certainly make games much more interesting and be a good way to encourage creativity, which to me is the most important aspect to consider.
> > > >
> > > > However, implementation of one leader per team would be difficult for people not entering the playlist as a team. If someone’s leader of choice is taken by a teammate they may decide to back out, restarting the search and making it ever harder to get a game than it already is.
> > > >
> > > > #banthem000sey
> > >
> > > What is this? Is this a troll? Are you trolling? I don’t understand what’s going on here.
> >
> > Appears they are in the same Spartan Company.
> >
> > Relevant to the thread, i’d definitely back out if someone stole Atriox from me :slight_smile:
>
> Haha Assimilate is a teammate of mine. I understand that having one leader per team would set certain hurdles, especially for random solo searchers; however, the majority of games worth playing are team vs. team. Maybe make a solo queing playlist for ranked? I know other games like rocket league do this. Team v. team is inherently a different kind of ranked play and deserves to be treated as such. I would take diversity over a solo searching chap rage quitting because he didn’t take his leader any day over a triple forge.

This would be great in a world where HW2 has a high population. However, as Darkmax said, having a playlist for solo searching 3’s probably won’t be done because it would split one playlist into 2 when the population is already low for 3’s.

To me the problem lies in balance, which there have been a million threads that have attempted to address. The lack of leader variety (eg. 3 Forge vs 3 Forge) has mainly been a problem during the Kinsano season and then this again season due to incredibly imbalanced leaders with which a person of much lesser skill could defeat a better player using a non OP leader with fairly mindless strategies. I think if the leaders are better balanced we would naturally see a shift back to seeing a variety of leaders played at higher levels.

Theoretically if balance is achieved it would be risky to go 3X of any leader in a 3’s game because whatever that leader’s weakness is would be substantially easier to exploit by the opponent.