Ranked Quitters: A Better Solution

We have all been in a ranked match and your teammate quits, leaving you outnumbered for the rest of your ranked match. Now sometimes you can still pull these off for the win, but a lot of the times it is a slow painful process just waiting for the match to end.

I think Overwatch has a great system for handling quitters in ranked play. For those that don’t know; in Overwatch when you are playing a competitive match and a teammate quits within the first few minutes, the game will notify everyone that a player has left a match, and the match will be canceled. That player who quit will be reprimanded (with a ban), and those who were affected will just be brought back to the main menu with no penalty. If a teammate quits after those first few minutes, the game will give you (I think) 2 minutes to stay in the game until you are then allowed to leave with no quit penalty, only a loss.

I think this is a system that could be implemented in ranked Halo play pretty smoothly. I’d be interested to hear what the Halo community would think about this sort of system to handle quitters in ranked play. What do you think the possible downsides would be?

Isn’t this what the quit ban is supposed to prevent?

How does overwatch handle lag outs? That’s where halo will have an issue with the system, it needs to differentiate quitting and lagging out from server issues.

> 2533274795938680;2:
> Isn’t this what the quit ban is supposed to prevent?

Sure, but the ban doesn’t do anything for the players that are stuck outnumbered for the rest of the match. In overwatch, you arent punished with a 15 minute game of getting your -Yoink- pushed in (not that it happens in every 3v4).

> 2533274923562209;3:
> How does overwatch handle lag outs? That’s where halo will have an issue with the system, it needs to differentiate quitting and lagging out from server issues.

It will let you rejoin the match for the next few minutes. Let me tell you how great it is to get that 6th player back after they time out!

> 2533274797328974;4:
> > 2533274795938680;2:
> > Isn’t this what the quit ban is supposed to prevent?
>
> Sure, but the ban doesn’t do anything for the players that are stuck outnumbered for the rest of the match. In overwatch, you arent punished with a 15 minute game of getting your -Yoink- pushed in (not that it happens in every 3v4).

Agreed, but it’s meant to disincentivize quitting in the first place. I don’t quit for this reason. I worry people will quit if they fall behind too quickly to avoid the de-rank penalty.

> 2533274797328974;1:
> We have all been in a ranked match and your teammate quits, leaving you outnumbered for the rest of your ranked match. Now sometimes you can still pull these off for the win, but a lot of the times it is a slow painful process just waiting for the match to end.
>
> I think Overwatch has a great system for handling quitters in ranked play. For those that don’t know; in Overwatch when you are playing a competitive match and a teammate quits within the first few minutes, the game will notify everyone that a player has left a match, and the match will be canceled. That player who quit will be reprimanded (with a ban), and those who were affected will just be brought back to the main menu with no penalty. If a teammate quits after those first few minutes, the game will give you (I think) 2 minutes to stay in the game until you are then allowed to leave with no quit penalty, only a loss.
>
> I think this is a system that could be implemented in ranked Halo play pretty smoothly. I’d be interested to hear what the Halo community would think about this sort of system to handle quitters in ranked play. What do you think the possible downsides would be?

I don’t know how much you can do to remedy this. My biggest frustration is the CSR loss when you had no chance of winning since you were down teammates. If they fixed that and it didn’t affect my rank because my teammates quit, then I think it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

That and the ability to veto/vote for the map you want to play on.

> 2533274795938680;6:
> > 2533274797328974;4:
> > > 2533274795938680;2:
> > > Isn’t this what the quit ban is supposed to prevent?
> >
> > Sure, but the ban doesn’t do anything for the players that are stuck outnumbered for the rest of the match. In overwatch, you arent punished with a 15 minute game of getting your -Yoink- pushed in (not that it happens in every 3v4).
>
> Agreed, but it’s meant to disincentivize quitting in the first place. I don’t quit for this reason. I worry people will quit if they fall behind too quickly to avoid the de-rank penalty.

I guess I could have been clearer. In Overwatch if you quit a competitive match early you lose CSR and will be banned for an appropriate amount of time similar to Halo.

> 2533274794819994;7:
> > 2533274797328974;1:
> > We have all been in a ranked match and your teammate quits, leaving you outnumbered for the rest of your ranked match. Now sometimes you can still pull these off for the win, but a lot of the times it is a slow painful process just waiting for the match to end.
> >
> > I think Overwatch has a great system for handling quitters in ranked play. For those that don’t know; in Overwatch when you are playing a competitive match and a teammate quits within the first few minutes, the game will notify everyone that a player has left a match, and the match will be canceled. That player who quit will be reprimanded (with a ban), and those who were affected will just be brought back to the main menu with no penalty. If a teammate quits after those first few minutes, the game will give you (I think) 2 minutes to stay in the game until you are then allowed to leave with no quit penalty, only a loss.
> >
> > I think this is a system that could be implemented in ranked Halo play pretty smoothly. I’d be interested to hear what the Halo community would think about this sort of system to handle quitters in ranked play. What do you think the possible downsides would be?
>
> I don’t know how much you can do to remedy this. My biggest frustration is the CSR loss when you had no chance of winning since you were down teammates. If they fixed that and it didn’t affect my rank because my teammates quit, then I think it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
>
> That and the ability to veto/vote for the map you want to play on.

Yeah I get what you are saying on that end. I just think it would be valuable to at least give players the option to leave after that 2:00 minute window of a teammate leaving the game. You would still get a loss, you just wouldn’t have to sit through the entire match.

But I have had games in Overwatch where a teammate left us and we finished the game but still lost, and my CSR still rose. I think that is what you would like to see in Halo.

> 2533274797328974;4:
> > 2533274795938680;2:
> > Isn’t this what the quit ban is supposed to prevent?
>
> Sure, but the ban doesn’t do anything for the players that are stuck outnumbered for the rest of the match. In overwatch, you arent punished with a 15 minute game of getting your -Yoink- pushed in (not that it happens in every 3v4).

Agreed, but it’s meant to prevent the quit in the first place and thereby prevent the beat-down for 15 minutes.

> 2533274795938680;10:
> > 2533274797328974;4:
> > > 2533274795938680;2:
> > > Isn’t this what the quit ban is supposed to prevent?
> >
> > Sure, but the ban doesn’t do anything for the players that are stuck outnumbered for the rest of the match. In overwatch, you arent punished with a 15 minute game of getting your -Yoink- pushed in (not that it happens in every 3v4).
>
> Agreed, but it’s meant to prevent the quit in the first place and thereby prevent the beat-down for 15 minutes.

And boats are suppose to float but if water gets in it’s pretty nice to have a life jacket around.

that seems to be the best idea i have heard in a while.

> 2533274797328974;9:
> > 2533274794819994;7:
> > > 2533274797328974;1:
> > > We have all been in a ranked match and your teammate quits, leaving you outnumbered for the rest of your ranked match. Now sometimes you can still pull these off for the win, but a lot of the times it is a slow painful process just waiting for the match to end.
> > >
> > > I think Overwatch has a great system for handling quitters in ranked play. For those that don’t know; in Overwatch when you are playing a competitive match and a teammate quits within the first few minutes, the game will notify everyone that a player has left a match, and the match will be canceled. That player who quit will be reprimanded (with a ban), and those who were affected will just be brought back to the main menu with no penalty. If a teammate quits after those first few minutes, the game will give you (I think) 2 minutes to stay in the game until you are then allowed to leave with no quit penalty, only a loss.
> > >
> > > I think this is a system that could be implemented in ranked Halo play pretty smoothly. I’d be interested to hear what the Halo community would think about this sort of system to handle quitters in ranked play. What do you think the possible downsides would be?
> >
> > I don’t know how much you can do to remedy this. My biggest frustration is the CSR loss when you had no chance of winning since you were down teammates. If they fixed that and it didn’t affect my rank because my teammates quit, then I think it wouldn’t be that big of a deal.
> >
> > That and the ability to veto/vote for the map you want to play on.
>
> Yeah I get what you are saying on that end. I just think it would be valuable to at least give players the option to leave after that 2:00 minute window of a teammate leaving the game. You would still get a loss, you just wouldn’t have to sit through the entire match.
>
> But I have had games in Overwatch where a teammate left us and we finished the game but still lost, and my CSR still rose. I think that is what you would like to see in Halo.

It is just unfair to the other team to allow quitting, they shouldn’t be punished

This would be great, but there are often server errors and problems, meaning it can kick you of of the game or the match doesn’t even start and it’s server’s fault…
So, it would be bit overkill if you’d be playing, and suddenly it kicks you to the main menu and you’d get a ban for it.

• Palmer

> 2533274971171822;14:
> This would be great, but there are often server errors and problems, meaning it can kick you of of the game or the match doesn’t even start and it’s server’s fault…
> So, it would be bit overkill if you’d be playing, and suddenly it kicks you to the main menu and you’d get a ban for it.
>
> - Palmer

lol doesn’t this already happen the way it is?

In Overwatch if someone times out of the match, they are given a few minutes to get back into it to help their teammates.

The way it is now is unfair. Maybe that’s the way they want it. After all, a blind man could see this coming long before the beta.

Whether this system or another, I would like to see some sort of change made to how quitting is handled.

In particular this relates to Objective gametypes, where you can’t afford to be down a guy, never mind multiple. I would like to see an Overwatch-esque system for that, because I certainly don’t enjoy having to sit through an unwinnable match to avoid negative consequences in those. End the match, and just consider it a tie perhaps.

Slayer gametypes are more of a gray area, because being down one guy isn’t as bad of an immediate punishment. When what’s left of a team that happens to knows what they’re doing, it can actually be an advantage because there’s less of them to kill. However, once you are down to 2 to 4 or obviously 1 to 4, I would like an Overwatch-esque system to kick in, but with the differentiating factor being that would happen however far into the match things were. If there was a way to work it into matchmaking, I think it’d be great to have it where in those circumstances where a team dominates the other and that leads to the situation, the winning team gets credited a win but the abandoned players are only credited a tie so they aren’t punished for the actions of their teammates who quit. If unworkable though, then just make it a tie all around.

> 2533274797328974;15:
> > 2533274971171822;14:
> > This would be great, but there are often server errors and problems, meaning it can kick you of of the game or the match doesn’t even start and it’s server’s fault…
> > So, it would be bit overkill if you’d be playing, and suddenly it kicks you to the main menu and you’d get a ban for it.
> >
> > - Palmer
>
> lol doesn’t this already happen the way it is?
>
> In Overwatch if someone times out of the match, they are given a few minutes to get back into it to help their teammates.

Yes, it happens. But with the OP’s proposed system, you’d get a ban after literally one match… whereas now, you can get kicked out or have the server fail multiple times.

• Palmer

I like Overwatch’s system. Not sure if it would directly translate to Halo, but Halo could learn something from it.

they implement the PGL rules for disconnection or lag-outs. When your teammate disconnects the teams are put back into the lobby and if the teammate does not rejoin in 5 minutes depending on the point difference depends on how many CSR points you lose. If the score is 10% score to win or less, no penalty. 25% 10% loss CSR point deduction, 40% 25% CSR point deduction, 50% 50% loss CSR point deduction, >50% regular loss. (All were based on loss. If you were winning you get a normal win. If the player does join then the match is restarted with the difference in scores as the score with the winning team with the difference.