Ranked or Social

Whats this ranked and social playlist everyone’s talking about? I haven’t played Halo 3 online and I don’t think Reach has them. Do they both earn you XP?

Ranked was some playlists that would give you a level 1-50 to tell you how good you were. If you stopped around 36, you were a level 36, and you couldn’t really level up past that.

If you won constantly, you would level up. If you won consistently, but lost some times, you’d plateau out somewhere.

It was an extremely flawed system.

> Ranked was some playlists that would give you a level 1-50 to tell you how good you were. If you stopped around 36, you were a level 36, and you couldn’t really level up past that.
>
> If you won constantly, you would level up. If you won consistently, but lost some times, you’d plateau out somewhere.
>
> It was an extremely flawed system.

what is this … I don’t even …

nice opinion.

halo 3’s ranking system was and still is amazing. The whole getting rank locked is a myth. You just have to do better to rank up and in reality the system worked the way it was meant to excluding those who cheated and circumvented it. It put players in their place and gave them equally matched games most of the times compared to reach’s flawed system of lax social where roflstmping players happens every match. If someone was ‘stuck’ at 36 they deserved it. They are where they should be. Bad players don’t realize they we never meant to reach the top. A trueskill based ranking system is not progressive. It’s skill based for a reason to match you with equally skilled players, not a system that allows you to reach the top if you aren’t good.

If anything is flawed is was the removal of 1-50 and having no ranked system to take it’s place in Reach. Now players complain about getting stomped on match after match by ‘tryhards’ (aka legit good players they whine about because they lost) because the system isn’t giving them fair and balanced matches. Well that’s what happens when ranked gets removed.

Hopefully Halo 4 has ranked coming back in some form or another.

> > Ranked was some playlists that would give you a level 1-50 to tell you how good you were. If you stopped around 36, you were a level 36, and you couldn’t really level up past that.
> >
> > If you won constantly, you would level up. If you won consistently, but lost some times, you’d plateau out somewhere.
> >
> > It was an extremely flawed system.
>
> what is this … I don’t even …
>
> nice opinion.
>
> halo 3’s ranking system was and still is amazing. The whole getting rank locked is a myth. You just have to do better to rank up and in reality the system worked the way it was meant to excluding those who cheated and circumvented it. It put players in their place and gave them equally matched games most of the times compared to reach’s flawed system of lax social where roflstmping players happens every match. If someone was ‘stuck’ at 36 they deserved it. They are where they should be. Bad players don’t realize they we never meant to reach the top. A trueskill based ranking system is not progressive. It’s skill based for a reason to match you with equally skilled players, not a system that allows you to reach the top if you aren’t good.
>
> If anything is flawed is was the removal of 1-50 and having no ranked system to take it’s place in Reach. Now players complain about getting stomped on match after match by ‘tryhards’ (aka legit good players they whine about because they lost) because the system isn’t giving them fair and balanced matches. Well that’s what happens when ranked gets removed.
>
> Hopefully Halo 4 has ranked coming back in some form or another.

This
Soooo much this

Social will also have the join in progress feature which we still haven’t seen or heard any real info on it yet.

Touche! Love the points Mythical.

Ranked is where you play to increase your level. In other words. Get better.

Social Oscar where you go when you just want to muck around and have a bit of fun.

Both are separate playlists with multiple gametypes etc. In them.

Just a bit of an addition. The reason Bungie removed 1-50 and put Arena in was to eliminate boosting/deranking. 343 appear to be furthering this by completely removing the ranking system. What confuses me is:

By doing this they have segregated and entire community of players. Boosting wasn’t really an issue. Who cares if he boosted to his 50. He’s -Yoink- anyway. Boosting doesn’t necessarily increase your skill. De ranking was an issue yes. This still happens in Reach though. It could’ve been prevented with a better ban hammer.

1. Get your -Yoink- together.

Ranked had levels 1 to 50. Everyone starts at 1, win a lot and you go up. The more you win, the more you go up. The more you lose, the more you go down. You are matched with those closes to your level. Therefore, if you got to level 30 then couldn’t win enough to go up, it means that you are best at level 30 and you would need to get better to win more.

Social is where you joined simply for playing, not for winning.

It was a great system, unlike in Reach and Cod (B4 BO2, which is utilizing trueskill for the first time in that game series’ history, which I commend Treyarch for) where you could be really pro and get matched with fools who came to muck around.

This is why people want ranked and Social back - skill gap was increased and competitive gameplay was seen much more.

> > Ranked was some playlists that would give you a level 1-50 to tell you how good you were. If you stopped around 36, you were a level 36, and you couldn’t really level up past that.
> >
> > If you won constantly, you would level up. If you won consistently, but lost some times, you’d plateau out somewhere.
> >
> > It was an extremely flawed system.
>
> what is this … I don’t even …
>
> nice opinion.
>
> halo 3’s ranking system was and still is amazing. The whole getting rank locked is a myth. You just have to do better to rank up and in reality the system worked the way it was meant to excluding those who cheated and circumvented it. It put players in their place and gave them equally matched games most of the times compared to reach’s flawed system of lax social where roflstmping players happens every match. If someone was ‘stuck’ at 36 they deserved it. They are where they should be. Bad players don’t realize they we never meant to reach the top. A trueskill based ranking system is not progressive. It’s skill based for a reason to match you with equally skilled players, not a system that allows you to reach the top if you aren’t good.
>
> If anything is flawed is was the removal of 1-50 and having no ranked system to take it’s place in Reach. Now players complain about getting stomped on match after match by ‘tryhards’ (aka legit good players they whine about because they lost) because the system isn’t giving them fair and balanced matches. Well that’s what happens when ranked gets removed.
>
> Hopefully Halo 4 has ranked coming back in some form or another.

I thought Reach had this same number but it was hidden. Please correct me if I am wrong.