Ranked and Social

I don’t know about everyone else, but 343 and quite a few people seem to be wanting Infinite to aim more towards ranked play than social.
Personally I really don’t like this idea, mainly because social has always lasted longer than ranked. On pc I really struggle getting a ranked game of MCC for example.
Social also ties a lot closer to custom games and to an extent the campaign. Yes is custom you can change settings, but I just mean as standard.
What are your thoughts? No hated intended on ranked players so not wanting an arguement, just a civilised discussion.

I mean all we’ve seen so far is social, so I’m having trouble seeing how it could be in jeopardy. If anything people are talking more about ranked because we have no info on it and people are curious.

Obviously older titles–especially Halo 3 proved there is room for both. But 343 made h4 almost all social and h5 the reverse. So hopefully they learned their lesson by now and are taking a balanced approach.

I will say tho. MCC isn’t really a good indication of the popularity of ranked. The ranked playlists in MCC are almost exclusively MLG style settings. A lot of Halo games had ranked playlists beyond just the most hardcore settings, and in my experience those have always been the more popular lists such as Team Slayer, etc.

They’ve put a huge emphasis on Big Team Battle and AR starts in social. I think 343 is trying to find a good balance.

H4 was too casual, H5 too competitive. Looks like they’re finally going to hit the middle ground like Halo 3 did.

MCC ranked doesn’t work because of the ranking system used. Halo 2’s system is pretty terrible.

This game will be using Halo 5’s system which is brilliant. Maybe they’ve made changes we aren’t aware about yet too but it’s already a very good system.

> 2533274806923063;1:
> On pc I really struggle getting a ranked game of MCC for example.

The amount of people playing MCC has been consistently under 10k for years now. Pretty open and shut case here.

I dont see them leaning towards one or the other. Its like saying you don’t mind Halo having an esports scene, but you don’t want the devs to be in active development of that to ensure it succeeds. Same can be said for the other side.

> 2533274808122910;6:
> I dont see them leaning towards one or the other. Its like saying you don’t mind Halo having an esports scene, but you don’t want the devs to be in active development of that to ensure it succeeds. Same can be said for the other side.

I don’t think 343 are leaning towards either, I mean people on this forum. And I don’t mind the odd ranked game here or there, I just prefer social and custom. And it’s not that I don’t want it to succeed, I do. Think of it like this, I want ranked to confirm to the game, not the game conform to ranked.
If I gave an example, think of the competitive mode of Smash Bros. I really dislike the whole thing and think it takes away from what Smash is. It may be a bad example but it’s all I can think of. Hope this helps.

> 2533274806923063;7:
> > 2533274808122910;6:
> >
>
> I don’t think 343 are leaning towards either, I mean people on this forum. And I don’t mind the odd ranked game here or there, I just prefer social and custom. And it’s not that I don’t want it to succeed, I do. Think of it like this, I want ranked to confirm to the game, not the game conform to ranked.
> If I gave an example, think of the competitive mode of Smash Bros. I really dislike the whole thing and think it takes away from what Smash is. It may be a bad example but it’s all I can think of. Hope this helps.

Does the competitive side of Smash existing impede your enjoyment of the other side of it? They balance the characters around the idea of competitive so those games are purely driven by that now.

The game will always have to be balanced with competitive in mind.

> 2533274806923063;1:
> I don’t know about everyone else, but 343 and quite a few people seem to be wanting Infinite to aim more towards ranked play than social.
> Personally I really don’t like this idea, mainly because social has always lasted longer than ranked. On pc I really struggle getting a ranked game of MCC for example.
> Social also ties a lot closer to custom games and to an extent the campaign. Yes is custom you can change settings, but I just mean as standard.
> What are your thoughts? No hated intended on ranked players so not wanting an arguement, just a civilised discussion.

MCC ranked hard died on PC because 1. they are old games and 2. because a majority of the MnK players quit because it’s not fun playing against controller players with god levels of AA.

Competitive and esports type games last just a long as any other type of game out there especially on pc if the core gameplay is there. Just look at games like League of Legends and Counter-Strike. For Infinite it makes sense to focus on the competitive side of the game more so than the casual, once the absolutely insane forge editor drops, the game will have a crazy amount of content for the casual community to enjoy/be involved in.

I agree. I like playing social more. I really hope that there are BR starts also in social 4v4 and btb, because I don’t find AR starts fun in infinite.