Ranked and Social (Not flame)

So if you remember Halo 3 had a system to cater to both types of players. The serious ones and the less serious. I do like some of the changes in Halo 4 but I think this would work for both the new and old players. Catering to both sides and possibly doubling the online population. So classic settings if you will. Now not everyone will play on classic and that is why it works. Some like the new settings others not so much but I feel that the system like Ranked and Social would work really well. Who knows, maybe when CSR comes out they will be implemented that kind of decision.

So instead of forcing both parties on each other why not create these two different experiences both in the Halo 4 sandbox.

Who else thinks this would work well?

Edit: I am also aware of Team Throwdown and it is a great step but if it does well then I think further implementation could be useful.

Agreed. However, without an in-game CSR it won’t be as popular.

> Agreed. However, without an in-game CSR it won’t be as popular.

without in game csr… it will just be another playlist. Better than nothing but still less than what it should be.

> Agreed. However, without an in-game CSR it won’t be as popular.

It is possible to do so if enough people really want it I guess it might come after CSR is initially released when they do the initial test. I’m hopeful that 343 will make this visible in game. Whilst I see the reasons that they might not want it to be. If they are making it work by playlist (like H3) then they could just add it in for the competitive ones and have it not visible in others.

Whilst visible CSR doesn’t overly bother me I think if it were visible, it would be a good motivator to play well with a team (I’m not really into an ego thing). I like it up to the fact that it lets me compare and see what players to watch out for as well as a sort of skill progression system.

Social is not casual. I mean, that would work for the competitive community, but not everyone who likes classic Halo plays in ranked playlists.
If those social playlists included classic playlists (without Loadouts and ordnances)such as Team Slayer or BTB, it would be fine for me.

I am 100% behind an idea like this. It is what made Halo 3 boatloads of fun.

> I am 100% behind an idea like this. It is what made Halo 3 boatloads of fun.

Who knows maybe 343 are thinking about this. It would make sense for them to try it at least because it has been proven that it works well.

I do like both classic and infinity slayer but I think classic has more competitive application whilst the other is less competitive (not necessarily bad though just not that competitive). Maybe a modified infinity type might work as well but we know classic settings work, so I think starting with them for competitive first would be a good idea. Then possibly investigating other modified versions of infinity slayer slowly through rotated playlists to see what the competitive community like the most.

Though if this does happen the playlists would have to be streamlined a bit to make sure they had decent populations in each but it would be worth it.

Halo 3 playlist structure was the best in the franchise. Without visible ranking, it would be pointless. But if they did split it and put visible CSR in ranked only = WINNING

It could be done, but one thing I thought was bad was that a social player ranked up too slowly.

If it was going to work, they’d need to make it to where social players can still rank up just as fast as the ranked players.

I played Halo 3 almost socially, but because the players who played the ranked playlists were to serious about the game for my tastes. I still played ranked on the occasion, and I loved the game, I just didn’t like the whole “1 EXP per social match” thing.

It took way too long for a social player to rank up. So I think I retired Halo 3 as a Captain.

Im over the fact that we will not be given in game CSR. And I will glady work to getting my 50. But the ranking system is said to be ranked according to playlist. I do not see how this is going to work with out splitting up the playlists in a ranked and social manner. It really has to be done.

343 should stop ignoring this.

> It could be done, but one thing I thought was bad was that a social player ranked up too slowly.
>
> If it was going to work, they’d need to make it to where social players can still rank up just as fast as the ranked players.
>
> I played Halo 3 almost socially, but because the players who played the ranked playlists were to serious about the game for my tastes. I still played ranked on the occasion, and I loved the game, I just didn’t like the whole “1 EXP per social match” thing.
>
> It took way too long for a social player to rank up. So I think I retired Halo 3 as a Captain.

Well if they keep the ranking up just as they already have been on Halo 4 so far then I don’t think you would run into this issue. The competitive side has always really been about Skill Ranking rather than experience rank anyway so if they would keep a ranked and a social with the same default progression each it would work.

> Im over the fact that we will not be given in game CSR. And I will glady work to getting my 50. But the ranking system is said to be ranked according to playlist. I do not see how this is going to work with out splitting up the playlists in a ranked and social manner. It really has to be done.
>
> 343 should stop ignoring this.

As I say I’m not extremely fussed either way but it would be a nice touch if you could see CSR.

Maybe if they take a look at this thread if they haven’t already thought about splitting ranked and social then they might decide to do it. Who knows really but I’m optimistic that they will make the best decision they can.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

> Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I agree there should be ranked and social.

however I think ranked should require DLC and have many hoppers like btb , slayer dominion etc while social should be slayer and btb only.

I would prefer custom to preset loadouts ,as I think AA’s are a part of the game that should stay and powerups as pick ups are outdated. If preset loadouts were forced then I would lean towards the DMR more than the BR.

also I think adding a poll would be a good idea.

> Halo 3 playlist structure was the best in the franchise. Without visible ranking, it would be pointless. But if they did split it and put visible CSR in ranked only = WINNING

Tbh i would like this even if CSR were only visible on waypoint.

> > Anyone else have an opinion on this?
>
> I agree there should be ranked and social.
>
> however I think ranked should require DLC and have many hoppers like btb , slayer dominion etc while social should be slayer and btb only.
>
> I would prefer custom to preset loadouts ,as I think AA’s are a part of the game that should stay and powerups as pick ups are outdated. If preset loadouts were forced then I would lean towards the DMR more than the BR.
>
>
> also I think adding a poll would be a good idea.

I would like them to use the DLC more. I hope it doesn’t end up like reach because after the DLC hoppers went I never got another map on them apart from the occasional Anchor 9.

I’m not quite sure how many hoppers they could have for something like this though. Maybe a social could have a version of the traditional rumble hopper as well.

I do like the loadouts as well and as for armour abilities I think if they can give people both experiences it would be all the better (but I enjoy armour abilities minus ‘active-camo campers’)

I’ll get onto making a quick poll as well thanks for the idea

> > Agreed. However, without an in-game CSR it won’t be as popular.
>
> without in game csr… it will just be another playlist. Better than nothing but still less than what it should be.

As long as it truly matches people based on CSR then it is working. +/- 10 skill ranking worked well in Halo 3. Sure visible CSR matters but 48s playing 12s doesn’t help anyone.

> > > Agreed. However, without an in-game CSR it won’t be as popular.
> >
> > without in game csr… it will just be another playlist. Better than nothing but still less than what it should be.
>
> As long as it truly matches people based on CSR then it is working. +/- 10 skill ranking worked well in Halo 3. Sure visible CSR matters but 48s playing 12s doesn’t help anyone.

I do agree I think what matters most is that similarly skilled players are matched against each other and having a visual system is a second priority