Rank=/= Skill

Remember when rank took skill. Well I do, and I miss it. I remember in halo 3 when i saw a general i was stuned almost and if he was on the other team I would just quit. But now I see mythics with 15,000 MP kills and 30,000 Deaths when im just a general with 17,000 kills and 12,000 deaths. Well what im trying to say is Rank does not = skill it equals the amount you play.

PLEASE 343i Bring back 1-50 trueskill

> Remember when rank took skill.

Remember when rank caused rampant cheating and hacking?

> > Remember when rank took skill.
>
> Remember when rank caused rampant cheating and hacking?

Remember when rank caused matchmaking to actually yield good results?
Remember when rank caused Halo 2 and 3 to dominate the online charts throughout their duration?
Remember when rank caused people to care about winning and not just play for credits?

Besides, the rampant cheating and hacking only happened in the Halo 2 era. You hardly saw any in Halo 3.

> > > Remember when rank took skill.
> >
> > Remember when rank caused rampant cheating and hacking?
>
> Remember when rank caused matchmaking to actually yield good results?
> Remember when rank caused Halo 2 and 3 to dominate the online charts throughout their duration?
> Remember when rank caused people to care about winning and not just play for credits?
>
> Besides, the rampant cheating and hacking only happened in the Halo 2 era. You hardly saw any in Halo 3.

That’s because everyone was buying their 50s and/or boosting them in Doubles.

I personally don’t miss the 1-50 ranking system one bit. It keeps people playing for fun…well…for the most part anyway if you don’t count the AFK boosters.

> > > > Remember when rank took skill.
> > >
> > > Remember when rank caused rampant cheating and hacking?
> >
> > Remember when rank caused matchmaking to actually yield good results?
> > Remember when rank caused Halo 2 and 3 to dominate the online charts throughout their duration?
> > Remember when rank caused people to care about winning and not just play for credits?
> >
> > Besides, the rampant cheating and hacking only happened in the Halo 2 era. You hardly saw any in Halo 3.
>
> That’s because everyone was buying their 50s and/or boosting them in Doubles.
>
> I personally don’t miss the 1-50 ranking system one bit. It keeps people playing for fun…well…for the most part anyway if you don’t count the AFK boosters.

No.

> PLEASE 343i Bring back 1-50 trueskill

Nah, trueskill was easily manipulated. If they could make the next 1-50 harder to level then go for it. For the time being I would want the Halo 2 ELO 1-50 which was harder to rank up on.

I knew this before Reach even came out. I can go without playing Reach for a month, get back on and still own all the players that are mythic and all those other silly rank names lol

It’s just like CoD with ranks that have to do with progression. At least Halo 3 had fun divisions and earning exp for your rank is way more fun.

> I remember in halo 3 when i saw a general i was stuned almost and if he was on the other team I would just quit.

Lost any credibility after reading that.

But I have to say there is basically the same True Skill system in Reach as there was in Halo 3 so your complaint can’t be who your been matched up with in matchmaking.

> > PLEASE 343i Bring back 1-50 trueskill
>
> Nah, trueskill was easily manipulated. If they could make the next 1-50 harder to level then go for it. For the time being I would want the Halo 2 ELO 1-50 which was harder to rank up on.

I agree that the H2 ranking system was the best out the ones that have been implemented thus far.

If I’m not mistaken, though I probably am, the H2 ranking system was based on the MS TrueSkill system, but for the most part was completely designed by Bungie.

> > I remember in halo 3 when i saw a general i was stuned almost and if he was on the other team I would just quit.
>
> Lost any credibility after reading that.
>
> But I have to say there is basically the same True Skill system in Reach as there was in Halo 3 so your complaint can’t be who your been matched up with in matchmaking.

No, there’s not.

Me and my friend have both played over 200 games each in Team Slayer, and we watched up against 4 new players and won 50-3…

That is NOTHING like Halo 3.

> > > PLEASE 343i Bring back 1-50 trueskill
> >
> > Nah, trueskill was easily manipulated. If they could make the next 1-50 harder to level then go for it. For the time being I would want the Halo 2 ELO 1-50 which was harder to rank up on.
>
> I agree that the H2 ranking system was the best out the ones that have been implemented thus far.
>
> If I’m not mistaken, though I probably am, the H2 ranking system was based on the MS TrueSkill system, but for the most part was completely designed by Bungie.

Yeah it was definitely the best, and I like the little bar on their website that used to show you how close you were to ranking up, I found it the most enjoyable out of any of the ranking systems, followed by Halo 3, then finally Halo:Play More = Better Rank,No Real Skill Reach. I miss my old ranking systems :frowning: Halo 2 specifically.

And in reply to the all the boosting/cheating complaints, they have upped their online security, and boosting never really bothered me, because whoever i played in the past games, i still had fun in the core gameplay so it didnt really matter to me.

> >
>
> Remember when rank caused Halo 2 and 3 to dominate the online charts throughout their duration?
> Remember when rank caused people to care about winning and not just play for credits?
>
> Besides, the rampant cheating and hacking only happened in the Halo 2 era. You hardly saw any in Halo 3.

Remember when the ONLY way to rank up was to have a good team.

> > > > PLEASE 343i Bring back 1-50 trueskill
> > >
> > > Nah, trueskill was easily manipulated. If they could make the next 1-50 harder to level then go for it. For the time being I would want the Halo 2 ELO 1-50 which was harder to rank up on.
> >
> > I agree that the H2 ranking system was the best out the ones that have been implemented thus far.
> >
> > If I’m not mistaken, though I probably am, the H2 ranking system was based on the MS TrueSkill system, but for the most part was completely designed by Bungie.
>
> Yeah it was definitely the best, and I like the little bar on their website that used to show you how close you were to ranking up, I found it the most enjoyable out of any of the ranking systems, followed by Halo 3, then finally Halo:Play More = Better Rank,No Real Skill Reach. I miss my old ranking systems :frowning: Halo 2 specifically.
>
> And in reply to the all the boosting/cheating complaints, they have upped their online security, and boosting never really bothered me, because whoever i played in the past games, i still had fun in the core gameplay so it didnt really matter to me.

As long as they don’t make it so that people who just get the game late into its life, can join games.

Arena ranks are basically the same thing as 1-50. The only difference is what your rank means.

Someone with a TrueSkill of 40 in Halo 3 would have a 40 appear next to their name. Someone with a TrueSkill of 40 in Reach would have a Division and % that corresponds to the percentage of players in the playlist with a TrueSkill higher than 40. If 15% of the players currently have a TrueSkill higher than 40, that would put you in 50% Gold. If 4% of the players currently have a TrueSkill higher than 40, that would put you in 80% Onyx.

Other than that, the two systems are identical.

IMO, all that really needs to be done is to move more playlists (MLG, Team Objective, Doubles, etc.) into Arena.

Pfft I remember when there we NO ranks.

I’m fine with Reach’s ranking system as long as you get matched up competitively, which I understand can be an issue even though it supposedly uses the True Skill system in the background.

Reach rank means nothing but playtime

but LOL no Halo 3’s Rank system did not take skill, anyone could get a 50. And frankly im tired oof all the little kids who think it did. You want a True Ranking system look at Halo 2s. Provided you got to your rank legit the Halo 2 ranks were the best indication of skill in the Halo series, easily.

> >
>
>

We have the improved banhammer plus a new way of dealing with boosting. Seasons are a good idea, just implemented wrong currently. I propose that they mix the two systems together.

Two skill ratios: individual performance (rating system) as well as the old system used for 1-50 (W/L)

Here’s my attempt at a formula:

> So let’s say your average KA/D is 2.10 and you’ve won 20 out of 30 games. You multiply your KA/D by your number of games won divided by losses, and then by 100 which removes the decimal(note: slayer only. I’d have to really get mathematical in order to deal with Objective).
>
> So the formula comes out to be [2.1 * (20/10)]100 or [KA/D(W/L)]*100. (note: You round your W/L division down to the nearest hundredth in need be) The number you get from that is put on the leaderboard and determines 1-50/Division/Whatever the rankings are this Tuesday. This makes it essential that you actually play in order to win the match, and you attempt to help your team as much as possible with kills and assists (you can have a high KA/D with a mediocre W/L and still be considered good as far as ranking).

So, in essence, you have 3 rankings: Individual, W/L, and Bottomline Skill.

Now, I’m not a math type so there’s probably a bunch of flaws with that formula, but the basic message is given that we should have multiple indications of “skill” but one bottomline skill ratio by mixing the two older systems together in an attempt at find a player’s trueskill (because niether ratio alone accounts for a person’s skill).

As long as the rank represents skill and not how much you play… And no credits.

> But I have to say there is basically the same True Skill system in Reach as there was in Halo 3 so your complaint can’t be who your been matched up with in matchmaking.

Try to convince the people I play on my main account of that notion. When I go +30 or 2.5+ K/D game do you think they feel like they were matched up fairly? Also, I rarely play with friends on my main account. It is for solo play.