Randomize colors in team games?

I understand Red v Blue is a staple of Halo but hear me out.

Anyone else think it would be kinda cool if your team colors were just random in Team Slayer or other gametypes? For example Purple v Orange, Green v Yellow, etc.

I think it’d be a nice addition. It adds a bit more variety, but it also doesn’t really affect anything.

The idea sounds neat, but you need to keep in mind that this gives an unfair advantage to a team who happens to blend in more than the other team.

> The idea sounds neat, but you need to keep in mind that this gives an unfair advantage to a team who happens to blend in more than the other team.

That’s not entirely absent with red or blue either.

It would be a refreshing cosmetic change every once and a while.

> > The idea sounds neat, but you need to keep in mind that this gives an unfair advantage to a team who happens to blend in more than the other team.
>
> That’s not entirely absent with red or blue either.
>
> It would be a refreshing cosmetic change every once and a while.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Only on certain maps. Like, no orange on Powerhouse, no purple on Zealot, no green on Hemorrhage, etc. That honestly sounds like a lot more trouble than it’s worth though.

I call dibs on being purple team! -game makes me orange- Awe. :frowning:

It would be nice to not always see red v blue but you have to think that would also mean over laying the starter spawns with multiple team colored ones. Then when a game type like multiteam game types comes along that could mess up spawns …

> Only on certain maps. Like, no orange on Powerhouse, no purple on Zealot, no green on Hemorrhage, etc. That honestly sounds like a lot more trouble than it’s worth though.

Yeah you make a good point. I remember playing custom games in Halo 2 with different colors and it was always pretty great. Thought I’d see what the community’s opinions were.

How would spawning work?

> How would spawning work?

Ideally the same. The colors would be purely cosmetic. Hopefully, this would be possible without spawns associated with Multiteam interfering.

> > How would spawning work?
>
> Ideally the same. The colors would be purely cosmetic. Hopefully, this would be possible without spawns associated with Multiteam interfering.

How would entire teams spawn together though? The starting points would need to be set to neutral, and then players would be able to spawn anywhere there are starting points. Even right beside the other team. The starting points need to be linked to a team colour, and only that colour team will spawn there.

For this to work, they would have to make set team names, like CoD has (eg: Tropas, OP40, etc). Then the spawns would need to be set by team name, not colour.

> How would entire teams spawn together though? The starting points would need to be set to neutral, and then players would be able to spawn anywhere there are starting points. Even right beside the other team. The starting points need to be linked to a team colour, and only that colour team will spawn there.
>
> For this to work, they would have to make set team names, like CoD has (eg: Tropas, OP40, etc). Then the spawns would need to be set by team name, not colour.

I’m failing to see why the spawn points would have to be neutral. Couldn’t they make spawn points for the specific colors on each map similar to multi-team except with more people on a single team? All in theory of course.

> > How would entire teams spawn together though? The starting points would need to be set to neutral, and then players would be able to spawn anywhere there are starting points. Even right beside the other team. The starting points need to be linked to a team colour, and only that colour team will spawn there.
> >
> > For this to work, they would have to make set team names, like CoD has (eg: Tropas, OP40, etc). Then the spawns would need to be set by team name, not colour.
>
> I’m failing to see why the spawn points would have to be neutral. Couldn’t they make spawn points for the specific colors on each map similar to multi-team except with more people on a single team? All in theory of course.

But then teams would be spawning in different places. Take Hemorrhage for example. Instead of red & blue, let’s say the teams are green, and blue. Instead of both teams spawning at a base, blue would spawn at a base, and green would spawn somewhere in the middle of the map.

It just wouldn’t work. They would need to change the system and go by team names, like CoD’s Op40, Tropas, etc. Then spawn points would have to be designated by team name, and then colours could be randomized.

It wouldn’t be possible for them to place maybe a Green & Blue spawn point in the same area so when it called for Green to come in, they could start at the base? They wouldn’t have to overlap.

It’s not uncommon for teams to spawn in random places on medium to small maps once they’ve spawned in the main spawn point.

I don’t know. I’m missing something.

It could work in Halo 4 IF (and only if?) there was a different underlying spawning system. I don’t know if the TU could affect it, but I’d doubt it being possible in Reach.

Euuuhhh…how about player secondary colors in team games instead? This sounds a bit…odd.

And color advantage, yeah, you got no idea how fun it is sniping on Last Resort in Halo 3 on blue team ocean side in the water, especially in a part of it where you can be completely concealed when crouching, since bullets didn’t go through water.

> It wouldn’t be possible for them to place maybe a Green & Blue spawn point in the same area so when it called for Green to come in, they could start at the base? They wouldn’t have to overlap.
>
> It’s not uncommon for teams to spawn in random places on medium to small maps once they’ve spawned in the main spawn point.
>
> I don’t know. I’m missing something.

I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I’m talking starting points. To make sure teams spawned at a base, there would have to be each colour at each base. Then, if that happened, you could end up with a full team and one enemy spawning at the same base, or half and half, etc.

Like I said, it just wouldn’t work without changing how spawning is classified. If they give team names, and classify spawning like that (as well as change the forge spawning settings), then they would be able to have any colour teams, and they could then be random colours.

But, currently, it is impossible.

nope, i like red and blue

what i wouldnt mind is if you can choose your secondary color. have a different shade of reds and blues

It’s sounds good on paper. But the problem with having random team colours, means that the current spawns on a map will be messed up. If you go into Forge on Hemorrhage, you can see that neither Orange or Green team spawn at a base. So if one team spawned as Blue Team at a base, whilst another randomly spawned as Orange Team and therefore did not… you have a serious balance issue.

> > It wouldn’t be possible for them to place maybe a Green & Blue spawn point in the same area so when it called for Green to come in, they could start at the base? They wouldn’t have to overlap.
> >
> > It’s not uncommon for teams to spawn in random places on medium to small maps once they’ve spawned in the main spawn point.
> >
> > I don’t know. I’m missing something.
>
> I guess I should have been a bit more clear. I’m talking starting points. To make sure teams spawned at a base, there would have to be each colour at each base. Then, if that happened, you could end up with a full team and one enemy spawning at the same base, or half and half, etc.
>
> Like I said, it just wouldn’t work without changing how spawning is classified. If they give team names, and classify spawning like that (as well as change the forge spawning settings), then they would be able to have any colour teams, and they could then be random colours.
>
> But, currently, it is impossible.

Ooooohh. I see what you’re saying. Got you.

Red v Blue is definitely the best for the colorblind, like myself. Green v Purple might work as well, but that’s about it - green and yellow look the same, orange and red look the same, green and red look the same…there’s a reason I don’t play much multiteam!