Random thought about Campaign Post-Launch

Taken from my comment in a previous thread:

I had a random thought yesterday-- what if we have a semi-linear campaign with the Chief going to various locations that takes like a standard 8-10 hours to complete, but then afterwards you could replay the game in a more open world style with your own Spartan from mulitplayer. Kinda like a mix between Spartan Ops and Destiny, the way you play through the initial story missions within these huge environments, and then after you can go through it in a more exploratory way.

And lore wise it could make sense too; Chief does whatever he does in the campaign (wins the battle and what-not) and then afterwards the UNSC sends in groups of Spartans to clear out the remaining Covenant/Created. If they do it like Destiny they could continue it for a while post-launch with new challenges and bosses, etc. and you could basically have Firefight zones exist within the open world.

Kind of a far out idea I suppose, but how dope would it be to be running around an open world Halo ring with your custom fireteam?! Get 4 Spartans in a pelican to drop off at an ongoing battle, maybe even up to 8 or 16 in a single game?? But I’m probably just getting my hopes up now lol

What do y’all think?

I like your thoughts. The idea of going through the large landscape environment with our own custom Spartans did come to my mind. I could imagine missions and objectives being included overtime as well.

Huh, that’s actually a really interesting idea. Play through Chief’s story, then there’s basically an endgame after. Almost sounds like 2 games in 1.

I feel like Spartan Ops will/should make a return of sorts. I suspect Infinite will work more or less like ODST on steroids with a hub world leading to several story driven levels but also offering the opportunity to incorporate extra missions post-launch. That’s where a Spartan Ops kind of idea could come into play. More missions, but with less repetition, maybe some different characters to control and meet. Just some interesting side stories to continue Infinite’s story or delve into things taking place during the main events of the campaign.

> 2674012278771805;4:
> I feel like Spartan Ops will/should make a return of sorts. I suspect Infinite will work more or less like ODST on steroids with a hub world leading to several story driven levels but also offering the opportunity to incorporate extra missions post-launch. That’s where a Spartan Ops kind of idea could come into play. More missions, but with less repetition, maybe some different characters to control and meet. Just some interesting side stories to continue Infinite’s story or delve into things taking place during the main events of the campaign.

Yeah exactly! I imagine they’d move away from the name Spartan Ops since it wasn’t too succesful in H4, but it basically could be like a continuation of that.

And I think it would be pretty easy to create new missions out of pre-existing environments, like Destiny did with all their strikes, raids, etc., that reused the same locations. While people criticized Destiny for the endless repetition, I feel like it would be much better recieved if it followed an actually decent campaign— which hopefully Inifite will have.

Basically what I’m thinking is like Destiny “Explore” mode, where you walk around the planet doing challenges, missions, collecting materials or just driving around on your sparrow enjoying the scenery, and you could do this alone, with friends, or with strangers you meet. In Inifinite it could be things like: taking down some Covenant/Created, public Warzone-style boss fights, clearing out an LZ, finding Ancient Human/Forefunner artifacts, cruising in a mongoose, or rescuing some stranded marines (which is literally shown in the first trailer, so I bet that is an activity in the main campaign as well, like a much larger version of CE’s level Halo where you drive around rescuing marines).

> 2533274896268651;1:
> Taken from my comment in a previous thread:
>
> I had a random thought yesterday-- what if we have a semi-linear campaign with the Chief going to various locations that takes like a standard 8-10 hours to complete, but then afterwards you could replay the game in a more open world style with your own Spartan from mulitplayer. Kinda like a mix between Spartan Ops and Destiny, the way you play through the initial story missions within these huge environments, and then after you can go through it in a more exploratory way.
>
> And lore wise it could make sense too; Chief does whatever he does in the campaign (wins the battle and what-not) and then afterwards the UNSC sends in groups of Spartans to clear out the remaining Covenant/Created. If they do it like Destiny they could continue it for a while post-launch with new challenges and bosses, etc. and you could basically have Firefight zones exist within the open world.
>
> Kind of a far out idea I suppose, but how dope would it be to be running around an open world Halo ring with your custom fireteam?! Get 4 Spartans in a pelican to drop off at an ongoing battle, maybe even up to 8 or 16 in a single game?? But I’m probably just getting my hopes up now lol
>
> What do y’all think?

I enjoyed Destiny a lot, though I haven’t played the second game yet. If Infinite is open world like Destiny, then it could be really fun but it’s all about the game design.

> 2533274866906624;6:
> > 2533274896268651;1:
> > …
> > Kinda like a mix between Spartan Ops and Destiny, the way you play through the initial story missions within these huge environments, and then after you can go through it in a more exploratory way.
> >
> > …
>
> I enjoyed Destiny a lot, though I haven’t played the second game yet. If Infinite is open world like Destiny, then it could be really fun but it’s all about the game design.

Yeah, I wouldn’t trade a traditional Halo campaign for a Destiny style one, but if they could make it work in addition to it then that would be awesome.

Hmm, you bring up some pretty interesting ideas. However, I think in the long run something like this would die out or lose appeal if there isn’t enough support, and I personally would rather 343i put their resources into updating the multiplayer, rather than updating this obscure piece of PvE. good ideas tho, but the pessimistic side of me doesn’t think that something like this would work in a multiplayer shooter like Halo.

> 2533274925727172;8:
> Hmm, you bring up some pretty interesting ideas. However, I think in the long run something like this would die out or lose appeal if there isn’t enough support, and I personally would rather 343i put their resources into updating the multiplayer, rather than updating this obscure piece of PvE. good ideas tho, but the pessimistic side of me doesn’t think that something like this would work in a multiplayer shooter like Halo.

Yeah its more of a pipe-dream then a realistic idea, cause it would require so much support post-launch and I agree that should probably be focused on the MP. But given the supposed scale/budget of the game I could see them having the resources to do it, especially if the new mode could also incorporate some of the old MP features into it.

Like, you could basically have Warzone Firefight or Invasion type gamemodes within the world, maybe even let players choose to play on UNSC or Covenant side in a large-scale open world battle (if playable elites are back, of course). So if they’re all tied together then the armor unlocks, REQs, and skins could be unlockable and used across all modes (except for REQs in arena) But now I’m just spit-balling random ideas again lol.

That’s… actually a cool idea, I like it! It would be neat walking in Chief’s footsteps and clearing enemies as my multiplayer Spartan. It would bring a nice role play element to my character.

> 2533274896268651;7:
> > 2533274866906624;6:
> > > 2533274896268651;1:
> > > …
> > > Kinda like a mix between Spartan Ops and Destiny, the way you play through the initial story missions within these huge environments, and then after you can go through it in a more exploratory way.
> > >
> > > …
> >
> > I enjoyed Destiny a lot, though I haven’t played the second game yet. If Infinite is open world like Destiny, then it could be really fun but it’s all about the game design.
>
> Yeah, I wouldn’t trade a traditional Halo campaign for a Destiny style one, but if they could make it work in addition to it then that would be awesome.

The two concepts can go hand-in-hand, the game has been in development for five years.