Rampancy

It is common knowledge that Halo 4 is the direct sequal to halo 3, and the introduction to a new trilogy. This brings to mind obvious changes that will undoubtedly occur, like the absence of the covenant(and probably John questioning his situation.), the an assumed lack of the flood(as it was stated a new enemy would be the antagonist.)

Getting to my point, a topic that seems to have been overlooked by the community is cortana, and her relative sanity.

Normally, a UNSC AI has a normal lifetime of ~7 years. After which they are “decommissioned” to avoid rampancy. Unfortunately, cortana has been active for well over the normal 7 years, even having had some information erased to maintain her stability. Indicators of rampancy have been shown in every game. Particularly rage and meloncholy, two of the most destructive.

It can even be assumed she was already rampant during the events of halo 3, due to the cortana moments and during the later levels of the game, in which she is shown being corrupted by delta gravemind.

This leads me to believe she is either completely rampant in halo 4, her melencholy or rage being intensified by the long(?) time floating in space to the halo 4 planet. Which sadly, seems to be large and full of technology. a requirement for a rampant AI to achieve metastability(sanity, humanity)

So theoretically, cortana may spend much of the next three halos trying to achieve metastability, probably trying to kill the chief during the game as he is the only living representation of her creators, whom rampant AI tend to hate for mistreating them.

In conclusion, the inclusion of a rampancy storyline makes sense, and would spice up the game immensely with “fanfare” that any fan worth his salt would understand. Thus, knowing the 343 team is a smart bunch, I imaging they already have planned.

Wow dude. Props on that post. I agree though, that would give the storyline some more depth.

You’ve never seen one of my posts then :slight_smile:

[How do we know that IS Cortana herself?

Could be a shard of her “soul” that she left behind for the Chief while the rest of her found a computer core large enough for her to continue her rampancy. And guess whose back to reclaim said shard?

There are only 2 returns and none are of the King. Everyone knows it’s either the Return of the Jedi or it’s the Return of the Chief :)](http://halo.xbox.com/343forumsaccess/general/f/14/p/7893/64498.aspx#64498)

[I think Cortana will follow a bit of a Pinnochio-like story. She won’t become “real” but she will become metastable at the end of it all.

And for I, remembering that the entire Quintilogy takes place over the course of roughly 6 months, and remembering Cortana is 3 years old, and remembering she expediated her knowledge by nearly infinity by merging with Alpha Halo, and remembering that meloncholy is the first stage… the first indicator, and remembering that Cortana spent only a month with Gravemind, and remembering that MB took nearly 100,000 years himself to overcome rampancy, yes I believe Cortana is just entering rampancy and hasn’t had the time to actually go through all the stages, she’s only just getting started.](http://halo.xbox.com/343forumsaccess/general/f/14/t/9451.aspx?PageIndex=2)
(here 3 year age was for the trilogy timeline, not the Halo:Legends point which is right at 7 years)

Don’t ever leave me John. - Cortana

> You’ve never seen one of my posts then :slight_smile:
>
> How do we know that IS Cortana herself?
>
> Could be a shard of her “soul” that she left behind for the Chief while the rest of her found a computer core large enough for her to continue her rampancy. And guess whose back to reclaim said shard?
>
> There are only 2 returns and none are of the King. Everyone knows it’s either the Return of the Jedi or it’s the Return of the Chief :slight_smile:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I think Cortana will follow a bit of a Pinnochio-like story. She won’t become “real” but she will become metastable at the end of it all.
>
> And for I, remembering that the entire Quintilogy takes place over the course of roughly 6 months, and remembering Cortana is 3 years old, and remembering she expediated her knowledge by nearly infinity by merging with Alpha Halo, and remembering that meloncholy is the first stage… the first indicator, and remembering that Cortana spent only a month with Gravemind, and remembering that MB took nearly 100,000 years himself to overcome rampancy, yes I believe Cortana is just entering rampancy and hasn’t had the time to actually go through all the stages, she’s only just getting started.
> (here 3 year age was for the trilogy timeline, not the Halo:Legends point which is right at 7 years)
>
>
>
>
>
> Don’t ever leave me John. - Cortana

INtresting

In the Cole Protocol it is stated that rampancey isnt inevitable, but only very very likely, so Cortana might not go rampant at all

great topic, there’s some good discussion going on about the same thing actually over here.

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/10/t/19790.aspx

-IV

> great topic, there’s some good discussion going on about the same thing actually over here.
>
> http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/10/t/19790.aspx
>

> -IV

Yes but this one was created 4hrs prior to the other one :slight_smile: But I do agree, they need to be melded into fiction and out of campaign.

> > great topic, there’s some good discussion going on about the same thing actually over here.
> >
> > http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/10/t/19790.aspx
> >

> > -IV
>
> Yes but this one was created 4hrs prior to the other one :slight_smile: But I do agree, they need to be melded into fiction and out of campaign.

Of course! forgive me, I did not think to check the timestamp, just trying to interconnect!
thanks for the headsup.

Whatever gets us all in one place

-IV