Ragnarok/Mantis trailer in HD & Analysis!

Couldn’t tell what quality the video was posted on the front page(seemed 480p).

In case anyone is interested, I captured the trailer in HD 720p and it’s up now on youtube. You can view it HERE.

Subscribe if you want a lot more Halo stuff coming up to and after release. Every week in October we are going to be doing a long in-depth retrospective one ach of the maps in the Halo series, from Halo:CE all the way to Reach, and a preview of the ones of Halo 4. All with ratings, memories, and opinions etc. So Subscribe if you’re into that sorta thing!

We also run a weekly podcast where we talk about other games as well as Halo. I’m friends with Nathan Barnatt(Keith Apicary, Trale Lewous etc.) so he’ll be coming on the show soon, and we just had brentalfloss a couple weeks ago.

Back on topic:

The lighting and textures, along with the water physics just all look phenomenal. I would have preferred a different map, but they really made it look great!

I’d also like to mention, not to personally plug my own crap but I figured you guys would be interested…

On that channel we’ll be uploading a long Halo map retrospective. Where we talk about, review, and rate every single map from Halo: CE-Halo: Reach. We’ll be recording a new episode for every week in October, so Halotober will have even more content for you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: We also plan to do a follow up review on Halo 4’s maps about a month after the game comes out, and we’ve had plenty of time to let things sink in. So if you are into that sort of thing, subscribe to the youtube channel.

We’ll be doing a Halo 4 review, and lots of Halo 4 HD gameplay once the game comes out. We cover all sorts of games, but let it be known that Halo is one of my favorite franchises, hence why i’m on here everyday :P, so expect plenty of coverage and discussion on our weekly podcasts about the game.

Back on topic. I’m a little disappointed the snow isn’t there on top of the map. It added a cool feel, no pun intended, but this map just looks gorgeous so it’s hard to fault anything on it so far. Just looks like a ton of fun.

It’s a great time to be a Halo fan! Only 5 more weeks!!

> I’d also like to mention, not to personally plug my own crap but I figured you guys would be interested…
>
> On that channel we’ll be uploading a long Halo map retrospective. Where we talk about, review, and rate every single map from Halo: CE-Halo: Reach. We’ll be recording a new episode for every week in October, so Halotober will have even more content for you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: We also plan to do a follow up review on Halo 4’s maps about a month after the game comes out, and we’ve had plenty of time to let things sink in. So if you are into that sort of thing, subscribe to the youtube channel.

That right there just made me subscribe. If you need another player for Halo 3 multiplayer footage you can add me, payzalee.

> > I’d also like to mention, not to personally plug my own crap but I figured you guys would be interested…
> >
> > On that channel we’ll be uploading a long Halo map retrospective. Where we talk about, review, and rate every single map from Halo: CE-Halo: Reach. We’ll be recording a new episode for every week in October, so Halotober will have even more content for you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: We also plan to do a follow up review on Halo 4’s maps about a month after the game comes out, and we’ve had plenty of time to let things sink in. So if you are into that sort of thing, subscribe to the youtube channel.
>
> That right there just made me subscribe. If you need another player for Halo 3 multiplayer footage you can add me, payzalee.

Sounds good man. I’m Aggressive Sock on XBL, anyone is welcome to send me a request. My friends and I who run the channel, have all been fans of Halo dating back to 2002 with CE. We played a ton of LAN parties back then, and I even played some online over Xbox Connect. Then Halo 2 came out and we all played the crap out of that up until Halo 3 came out, attended the midnight release, and played a ton of that as well. So we definitely have some great memories and experience with all the maps from each game, so expect some good discussion and a good variety of opinions.

Can’t wait to get started on it. :slight_smile: I love reminiscing about the Halo CE-3 maps, Halo 2’s all share a warm spot in my heart. Reach was definitely the lowest point for maps, as I am sure we can all attest to that.

That’s one thing Halo 4 has me excited for, and has been the thing that has really sold me on the game thus far, the maps look fantastic. Both from a gameplay layout perspective, as well as the visuals and environments they are in. Ragnarok just proves how much better looking Halo 4 is to Halo 3, as well as Reach. The visuals just look stunning. I hope it plays as well as it looks. Is it me or does the map look a little larger in scale than it was in Halo 3?

It does look larger to me, or its just i havnt seen Valhalla in a while

wow Mantis looks freakning over powered lol

> wow Mantis looks freakning over powered lol

nah, their not going to show it getting owned for 1:30 are they?

> It does look larger to me, or its just i havnt seen Valhalla in a while

That could be, it just seemed like the Spartans looked smaller next to the geometry than they did in Halo 3. The rocks all seemed bigger, space wider, and overall map just scaled up. Hard to tell if it’s just the way it looks or if it’s because we have no way of actually comparing the size.

> > wow Mantis looks freakning over powered lol
>
> nah, their not going to show it getting owned for 1:30 are they?

obviously not

> Comparison Shot of old vs new

Hopefully this will help
Its from
3 legged goat

> > > Sounds good man. I’m Aggressive Sock on XBL, anyone is welcome to send me a request. My friends and I who run the channel, have all been fans of Halo dating back to 2002 with CE. We played a ton of LAN parties back then, and I even played some online over Xbox Connect. Then Halo 2 came out and we all played the crap out of that up until Halo 3 came out, attended the midnight release, and played a ton of that as well. So we definitely have some great memories and experience with all the maps from each game, so expect some good discussion and a good variety of opinions.
> > >
> > > Can’t wait to get started on it. :slight_smile: I love reminiscing about the Halo CE-3 maps, Halo 2’s all share a warm spot in my heart. Reach was definitely the lowest point for maps, as I am sure we can all attest to that.
> > >
> > > That’s one thing Halo 4 has me excited for, and has been the thing that has really sold me on the game thus far, the maps look fantastic. Both from a gameplay layout perspective, as well as the visuals and environments they are in. Ragnarok just proves how much better looking Halo 4 is to Halo 3, as well as Reach. The visuals just look stunning. I hope it plays as well as it looks. Is it me or does the map look a little larger in scale than it was in Halo 3?
> >
> > Your Halo Playing history sounds pretty close to mine, Got Halo CE in 2003, played it with my friends almost everyday. Got Halo 2 release day, played the crap out of it on Xbox Live. Did the midnight release for Halo 3,
> >
> > Halo 2-3 had my favorite maps in the series. Reach really did have the worst maps, And I hated the fact that they were all based off of the campaign levels, it just felt like there was nothing to look at while playing them and they didn’t add anything to the universe,
> >
> > Halo 4’s maps all look great, I’m personally a fan of larger maps, Exile and Longbow both look great. One this I noticed about Ragnarok is it’s very very bright and that will take some getting used too.

> > Comparison Shot of old vs new
>
> Hopefully this will help
> Its from
> 3 legged goat

Those seem like slightly different perspectives…or the field of view is different. If we are to go by that comparison though, Ragnarok definitely looks bigger in scale. The rocks, the base, the tower of the base, and even the trees all look bigger.

> Your Halo Playing history sounds pretty close to mine, Got Halo CE in 2003, played it with my friends almost everyday. Got Halo 2 release day, played the crap out of it on Xbox Live. Did the midnight release for Halo 3,
>
> Halo 2-3 had my favorite maps in the series. Reach really did have the worst maps, And I hated the fact that they were all based off of the campaign levels, it just felt like there was nothing to look at while playing them and they didn’t add anything to the universe,
>
> Halo 4’s maps all look great, I’m personally a fan of larger maps, Exile and Longbow both look great. One this I noticed about Ragnarok is it’s very very bright and that will take some getting used too.

For sure man. The map variety in Halo 4 is awesome. Every map has had a unique environment thus far, so at least we won’t be stuck with the same color palettes and boring layouts this time. Exile is my current favorite, with Longbow a close second…but from footage of Complex it looks great as well. Ragnarok and Solace also look pretty solid from what I have seen. Adrift is the least impressive for me personally, yet even that doesn’t look bad. With 3 maps left to be revealed, we are in great shape. Still waiting on that volcanic themed map that I’ve hoped they’d have ever since they showed off the Spartan Ops mission with that environment.

Ragnarok is very bright, but I like it. As I said before, such good map variety when it comes to themes and settings.

> > > Comparison Shot of old vs new
> >
> > Hopefully this will help
> > Its from
> > 3 legged goat
>
> Those seem like slightly different perspectives…or the field of view is different. If we are to go by that comparison though, Ragnarok definitely looks bigger in scale. The rocks, the base, the tower of the base, and even the trees all look bigger.

Lol srry heh but, the visuals like dudddeee… Can u believe were still on the 360lol
And yea the cam view does seem to be lower o. The upper view and closer but well i think the map has been re modified and has more room, the rock formations, seems like thiers history among them and looks amazing

You can T bag in the Mantis!! New Favorite Vehicle!

> Lol srry heh but, the visuals like dudddeee… Can u believe were still on the 360lol
> And yea the cam view does seem to be lower o. The upper view and closer but well i think the map has been re modified and has more room, the rock formations, seems like thiers history among them and looks amazing

With how well they have seemingly remade Valhalla, it makes me that much more excited to see how well they do any potential future remakes on DLC or the next games. Most of us are dying to see Terminal, Waterworks, Relic, Containment, Turf etc. again.

> > Lol srry heh but, the visuals like dudddeee… Can u believe were still on the 360lol
> > And yea the cam view does seem to be lower o. The upper view and closer but well i think the map has been re modified and has more room, the rock formations, seems like thiers history among them and looks amazing
>
> With how well they have seemingly remade Valhalla, it makes me that much more excited to see how well they do any potential future remakes on DLC or the next games. Most of us are dying to see Terminal, Waterworks, Relic, Containment, Turf etc. again.

Yea x.x i def would like waterworks havnt played in so long. Also yea this motivates me to buy DLC not like reach where i just couldnt get along with any map i felt as if bungie were depressed making reach considering it was thier last halo and well it felt un satisfying x.x

> Yea x.x i def would like waterworks havnt played in so long. Also yea this motivates me to buy DLC not like reach where i just couldnt get along with any map i felt as if bungie were depressed making reach considering it was thier last halo and well it felt un satisfying x.x

The graphic/visual upgrade from Halo 3 to Halo 4 looks amazing, a Halo 2 map would just look ridiculously stunning. Waterworks especially, I think, would look so beautiful. Dark blue tones, with some water falling/trickling in from the hole in the ceiling. The light beaming in from the hole, glazing over the walls. Stalagmites coming from the ground, as well as the stalactites hanging from the ceiling you can shoot down. The giant crushing piston in the center. It would just be such a unique setting, and a fun map in general. I think with some slight changes and additions, it could really fit well with the new gameplay etc.

Is it just me or do those ground textures look terrible? I thought the same when we were shown Exile too :confused:

New fravorite vehicle! You can t-bag with it!

Looks quite insane, requiring alot of teamwork to take it down. I wonder what kind of damage it can take. Tank doesn’t look like it beats everything anymore…