R.I.P. AR burst firing?

As you can see from that gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJRm9qPSKQ&t=2m40s
The player tries to burst fire, at a rate noticeably slower that that of the Reach burst fire, and the reticle just expands too much and doesn’t recover quickly enough.

I am actually raging with the hate of a thousand gods.

There is now officially NOTHING skillful about the AR anymore, and I’m sure it’s going to be the same thing with the Storm rifle and the Supressor. The only good point I see with it is that the melee animation from CE is back, but that’s all. Otherwise, it’s just pure Yoink.
Even if in Reach, you couldn’t win a 1v1 fight against a DMR user with the AR in mid range and further if you weren’t burst firing. (even though you still had to have the jump on them to have a chance) in fact, you couldn’t even win up close.

I will keep using it out of nostalgia though. But it won’t be because I can feel good about winning against someone with a long range weapon from afar with my AR. But there’s still the longer burst techniques, but they don’t really help as much as the “2 rounds pulse fire”.

tl;dr: Can’t burst fire with AR anymore, no more skill, I mad.

EDIT: I forgot that you have to crouch to do the pulse fire. Maybe we can still do it, but comparing the fire rate to Reach’s, it still expands way too much and doesn’t reset quickly enough.

I noticed the Bloom for the AR in E3 Campaign demo. I was worried about it. It expanded way too much, and way too quickly.

And now, it’s official. Bloom on the AR sucks Yoink! Can’t burst fire and make it accurate sucks! I won multiple fights with AR vs AR in Reach by burst firing. Burst firing also helps for longer ranges (mostly against Grunts). But now that’s not possible.

I can understand that automatics are designed for up close, thus making it purposefully bad for longer ranges with worse Bloom.

However, I will be using the Storm Rifle for up close only, and the Carbine for mid-longer ranges with Firepower and Dexterity. So this doesn’t really affect me. But that still sucks!

I feel your pain, OP.

Though I will continue to walk the path of the AR regardless.

there wasn’t much skill in the AR ever at any point in any halo game, whats the difference

Probably because the automatics are now specifically designed for cqc?

That is sad news. Too bad I won’t be using it at that kind of range.

Skill, with AR, lol. He burst fired, but he was facing an opponent with a precision weapon at mid-far range. Of course he is going to lose. He probably still halved the guys shields though.

Why would you ever burst fire the AR?

The weapon now fills a specific role in close-range engagements. It is not trying to be a gimped BR that you can fire full auto.

> Burst firing also helps for longer ranges (mostly against Grunts). But now that’s not possible.

I only had do that only once in Reach. On TotS, at the Spire, after the Falcon crashes.

The game takes away your weapons and gives you a DMR + AR. You can use the DMR and pick off everyone but then you’ll run out of ammo and will have to pick up the needle rifle since most of the sandbox is situational or -Yoink-. The alternate option is to let Jorge fight them, which will, of course, take forever. The last option is to burst fire that AR on the Grunts after picking off the Skirmishers with DMR. It saves ammo and gives you a better approach since you still got the DMR.

How can the above problem be avoided in Halo 4?

By ensuring the game does not hold hands/interfere/play itself/break immersion. That way, I won’t ever have to be forced to use the AR.

Campaign mission starts in Halo 3 and Reach were the worst when I started off with the AR. Sierra 117 is next to impossible if you try to use it. And Reach, even though you can run past most encounters, it’s the same thing.

But the worst kind of mission start is The Package. DMR + AR with 4 ODSTs who have… ARs! I can’t even give them another weapon right from the start. Very lame.

Go to around 4:04. You should use that as a reference. That other part was just a hairy situation for him. That engagement was just over mid range in my book.

Oh my… This may or may not be the best news yet. AR is harder to use? Reduced range? It’s about time.

> Skill, with AR, lol. He burst fired, but he was facing an opponent with a precision weapon at mid-far range. Of course he is going to lose. He probably still halved the guys shields though.

Also note this clip. He is able to get into 2 close-range battles with 2 different BR uses, and had time to reload between the double kill while half shield.

I don’t know what gameplay you were watching. Would I be happy with a bit slower expansion? Yes. But he was doing just fine up until those other guys joined in the fight. That is the max range I would likely try and use the AR anyway.

That gameplay made me far more excited than worried for the AR. It is the other two I am worried about. If the Storm Rifle and Suppressor have slower expansion to make up for their lack of hitscan I will be happy.

Who cares? The AR is garbage anyway

> Who cares? The AR is garbage anyway

Funnily enough, it isn’t. It’s worth having as a secondary to pull out when you’re up close.

The AR is now intended to be a close range weapon… and that is how it will operate.

We hopefully its not final build buddy. But as for me I’ve grown fond of the DMR

> As you can see from that gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJRm9qPSKQ&t=2m40s
> The player tries to burst fire, at a rate noticeably slower that that of the Reach burst fire, and the reticle just expands too much and doesn’t recover quickly enough.
>
> I am actually raging with the hate of a thousand gods.
>
> There is now officially NOTHING skillful about the AR anymore, and I’m sure it’s going to be the same thing with the Storm rifle and the Supressor. The only good point I see with it is that the melee animation from CE is back, but that’s all. Otherwise, it’s just pure Yoink.
> Even if in Reach, you couldn’t win a 1v1 fight against a DMR user with the AR in mid range and further if you weren’t burst firing. (even though you still had to have the jump on them to have a chance) in fact, you couldn’t even win up close.
>
> I will keep using it out of nostalgia though. But it won’t be because I can feel good about winning against someone with a long range weapon from afar with my AR.
>
>
> tl;dr: Can’t burst fire with AR anymore, no more skill, I mad.

From what I’ve gathered, this perceived notion of weapons fitting into certain areas of the sandbox is all just theory, none of which has been successfully executed in practice.

I yearn for the day when this is true however, so I too can walk the path of the AR

> > Who cares? The AR is garbage anyway
>
> Funnily enough, it isn’t. It’s worth having as a secondary to pull out when you’re up close.

Meh, I prefer the pistol as my secondary.