"Some of the synthy stuff will be less synthy"

But why? :frowning:

> You’ve said that you’ve re-recorded the music - but the voice acting is the same. How about the sound effects (environment, weapons, vehicles)? Are they re-recorded, as well, or just remastered from the original? Does the visual toggle between old and new extend to an audio toggle?

> Every single audio sound effect has been redone. Some of them have been re-recorded, others have been remastered. Dialogue is the same - identical. (We’re cleaning it up, so it works better in 5.1.) All of the music is being re-recorded by Skywalker Orchestra - the same melodies, though there’ll be some slight tweaks because it’s a full orchestra. It’s richer, fuller, much more expansive production values. Some of the synthy stuff will be less synthy. We’re trying to retain a lot of the original flavor, rather than just replace everything. It’ll sound like the Halo soundtrack, but just richer, fuller.
>
> When you jump back to the old game, you have new audio. You’ve already got two engines runnning. You have the old gameplay physics and AI engine, and the new graphics layer running on top. We couldn’t run a third engine to do audio emulation, as well. Think about the loading. You see the slight pause, when it switches? Audio files are some of the biggest files - waiting for the switch would be just unpleasant. It’s not jarring at all, this way - when you switch back, if there’s an ambient effect, it just keeps going. We never gave audio serious consideration for that flip, because it would have been a dissonant experience.

I hope the soundtrack hasn’t changed drastically. And where it has changed, it’s been for the good, because I like synth: Covenant Dance

I’d actually would like it to be more synthy. Also, how hard with it have been to rip the original soundtrack and use it with the new audio engine?

Personally I think synths > orchestra.

Do you ask rehtorically? Or do you have a plan to use the old soundtrack? xD

I think by “less synthy” they mean that guitars will actually be guitars, strings will actually be strings, and it won’t sound like the songs were made in GarageBand any more (no offense to the original soundtrack).

I have high expectations for Covenant Dance. Combining one of my favourite orchestras with Halo shouldn’t go “wrong.” :wink:

Im more of an orchestra type of guy. Its a ton more dramatic.

<4 <343

Yeah, I hope they don’t -Yoink- it up, Halo CE’s soundtrack was perfect as it is, better be worth it.

> I’d actually would like it to be more synthy. Also, how hard with it have been to rip the original soundtrack and use it with the new audio engine?
>
> Personally I think synths > orchestra.

Recording wise, you have to use different hardware to get a true 5.1 experience, it’s not about software, which is why the files are bigger. You get mostly the same information, but different values from 6 sources, which have to be adjustable.

I doubt the shift will be jarring, so don’t worry.

But synth<orchestra? What has pop music done to this world? Heresy!

Yeah, because synth and orchestras are mutually exclusive… Some synthy pieces sounds like -Yoink- as an orchestral score and vice versa. Orchestras are not superior, they just provide a different feel and style. To me to fully enjoy an orchestra, I am quite strict, as it is way too easy to fall in uber pompous/bombastic -Yoink-. Hans Zimmer may be one of the most overrated score writer ever, I’d take Vangelis over him any time.

i think some of the gameplay needs to be tweaked mainly the flood and how you damage them because i remember snipers did s*** all against them

> i think some of the gameplay needs to be tweaked mainly the flood and how you damage them because i remember snipers did s*** all against them

I think it was done on purpose. That the bullet was too fast and that it got straight through the flood.

> Hans Zimmer may be one of the most overrated score writer ever

Not wanting to start something here, but Hans Zimmer is the most overrated score writer ever.

So long as they don’t do too much to my all time favourites such as “Covenant Dance” and “Drum Run”, which happen to be synthy, I don’t mind. If they’re altered to sound orchestral, I’ll be quite annoyed, to say the least. The main reason is because the whole orchestral thing is beginning to get overdone in games nowadays, and the last thing we need is perfectly fine tracks like the ones I mentioned above to be orchestrated instead of being in their full original glory.

> i think some of the gameplay needs to be tweaked mainly the flood and how you damage them because i remember snipers did s*** all against them

I think that was intended. It even said in “The Flood” that Master Chief had actually tried to use a Sniper Rifle against one of the combat forms and it didn’t even affect them. Something about the ammunition having no effect on a life form like that.

I hope the stuff that is clearly meant to be a synth stays as a synth. The synths in there that were just trying to emulate real instruments with hopefully be orchestrated.

So many replies… I didn’t expect a thread about synth to be so popular. I underrated you Waypoint!

Who to reply to first? With the expense of Skywalker sound, I sure do expect the new sound to have been worth it haha. When I saw this link (Vangelis) , I knew what to expect… really love Blade Runner. And I agree, Hans Zimmer is a little overrated.

I find your replies re-assuring anyway. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the new soundtrack is even better than what it originally was.

Why does nobody listen to me?

> I think by “less synthy” they mean that guitars will actually be guitars, strings will actually be strings, and it won’t sound like the songs were made in GarageBand any more (no offense to the original soundtrack).

> I find your replies re-assuring anyway. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the new soundtrack is even better than what it originally was.

I’ve been listening this whole time. :wink:

Do you guys think the newly recorded soundtrack will be available for purchase?

I definitely like the synth on Covenant Dance. I’m wondering what the orchestra is going to do about it.