"Latchkey" Discovery and other questions?

Alright, so I have a couple questions about the Halo storyline and canon that I just need help clearing up. Here they are:

1. First of all, what is the “Latchkey” Discovery made by Professor Laszlo Sorvad in Halo: Reach that is so important to Halsey and her research? I’m assuming it is a discovery that allows her to decrypt the message in the forerunner artifact under Sword Base, but I’m not sure.

2. Exactly what information is gleaned from the artifact under Sword Base? Is it only information on the location of the Halo Array? If so, is that what the Covenant Zealots are looking for while on Reach?

3. Did the Covenant discover the Halos long before humanity did, or not? It seems like it would be quite a coincidence for them to have just discovered the Halos, seeing as how they are sort of the basis of their religion. But at the same time it seems a bit coincidental that the Covenant would have known about the Halos for years and never thought to retrieve the Sacred Icon and fire the Halos until humanity showed up.

4. Relating to Halo 3, at the end it is said that they’ve gotten rid of the flood for good. But doesn’t the flood still remain on Installation 05, and maybe even the ruined Installation 04? Couldn’t they easily repair any stranded human or Covenant ship left on the planet and use it to once again spread throughout the galaxy? Obviously no one considers this a threat, seeing as how they keep talking about the flood being defeated and whatnot.

These are all the questions I have right now, but there is a good chance that I’ll come up with some more later.

Thanks in advance!

1- Can’t answer this, I can’t remember anything about it at all.

2- Probably part of it. However, as Halsey said at the end of Sword Base, the Zealot teams are dispatched to look for any Forerunner artifacts before the main invasion force.

3- As far as I know, the Covenant discovered the location of Alpha Halo on Sigma Octanus, not long before the battle of Reach. Cortana used those co-ordinates (from either the artifact or Sigma Octanus) and the PoA ends up there too. So it’s not too big of a gap between them, or it’s possible that the Covenant didn’t get the full co-ordinates and ended up there by chance after following the PoA. Even if they had been there before, only humans can activate the rings.

4- Cortana sent a message to the UNSC command saying to NOVA bomb the Delta Halo system, so that was likely destroyed. Alpha Halo’s atmosphere was destroyed, so no Flood there would survive. It’s possible that Flood exists on stations like the Arbiter’s first mission in Halo 2, but humanity wouldn’t have known about those. It’s also possible that the majority of the Flood’s forces were on High Charity, and therefore destroyed at the Ark.

When did Cortana send the UNSC a message to Nova bomb Delta Halo? Also what about the quarantine around Delta Halo, was it pretty much inferred that that whole thing fell apart since High Charity was able to get past them?

> When did Cortana send the UNSC a message to Nova bomb Delta Halo? Also what about the quarantine around Delta Halo, was it pretty much inferred that that whole thing fell apart since High Charity was able to get past them?

Cortana’s message was seen in Ghosts of Onyx, and was sent while she was on High Charity. High Charity is one of the Covenant’s most important things, so it’s not surprising that it could break through, but we were never told how many Covenant ships were captured by the Flood. Ghosts of Onyx mentions things like Pelicans and Banshees, so it’s likely that the Flood wasn’t able to actually capture many ships.

> Alright, so I have a couple questions about the Halo storyline and canon that I just need help clearing up. Here they are:
>
> 1) First of all, what is the “Latchkey” Discovery made by Professor Laszlo Sorvad in Halo: Reach that is so important to Halsey and her research? I’m assuming it is a discovery that allows her to decrypt the message in the forerunner artifact under Sword Base, but I’m not sure.
>
> 2) Exactly what information is gleaned from the artifact under Sword Base? Is it only information on the location of the Halo Array? If so, is that what the Covenant Zealots are looking for while on Reach?
>
> 3) Did the Covenant discover the Halos long before humanity did, or not? It seems like it would be quite a coincidence for them to have just discovered the Halos, seeing as how they are sort of the basis of their religion. But at the same time it seems a bit coincidental that the Covenant would have known about the Halos for years and never thought to retrieve the Sacred Icon and fire the Halos until humanity showed up.
>
> 4) Relating to Halo 3, at the end it is said that they’ve gotten rid of the flood for good. But doesn’t the flood still remain on Installation 05, and maybe even the ruined Installation 04? Couldn’t they easily repair any stranded human or Covenant ship left on the planet and use it to once again spread throughout the galaxy? Obviously no one considers this a threat, seeing as how they keep talking about the flood being defeated and whatnot.
>
> These are all the questions I have right now, but there is a good chance that I’ll come up with some more later.
>
> Thanks in advance!

1. I’ll get back to you on this one. I’ll have to check Halsey’s Journal, as I can’t remember if it was ever specified.

2. Refer to the answer above. It was more than likelly what the Zealot infiltration unit was looking for. The Covenant’s ship Luminaries should tag all Forerunner objects on the Reach, including whatever was hidden under Sword Base, as well as under Castle Base.

3. The Covenant did know of the Halos prior to Halo: CE. Like mention above, it’s actual location was discpoved on Sigma Octanus IV, in the artifact found in the metorite that hit grid 14 X 24 sometime in the early 2500. The fact that the Covenant were present at Alpha Halo when the Pillar of autumn exited Slipspace at the beginning of Halo: CE is not due to the Covenant’s more efficient slipspace technology; they were already there. Just how early the Covenant knew of the Halos, I do not know, but they most likelly knew about them to some extent when they created the mythos of the Seven Ages of the Covenant.

4. The saying that the Flood was destroyed at the hands of John-117 during the events of Halo 3 is due to the fact that the majority of the of the Flood itself was destroyed, but more importantly that the Gravemind was destroyed, essentially depriving the Flood of it’s nervous system and central intelligence. The remaining Flood on Delta Halo was also glassed by the Fleet of Particular Justice between the events of Halo 2 and Halo 3, and during the events of Halo 3. Alpha and Delta Halo are also deprived of sentient beings, so whatever Flood remains will die over time, leaving nothing but spores and infection forms left.

I hope that’s sufficient answer for you :slight_smile: Feel free to ask whatever questions you’ve got. I too rarely have to put my knowledge to the test, so I love threads like these.

inb4 Voc putting me in my place and pointing out something I overlooked.

About the Flood being destroyed: No one can discount the Flood just yet, really. When Captain Cutter went after Professor Anders in Halo Wars, there were Flood infected and infecTING forms all over the planet. If the Flood are or can grow on Forerunner shields worlds, in addition to the Halos, than I think it’s safe to assume that they are still a threat to the galaxy.