Quitting Penalty Does not Work, Just Look at the Prohibition.

inb4 OP sucks, he gets owned all the time so he rage quits

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=About265Jews

My k/d is over 2.15
(My last 1-2 Game sucked, because my cousin was playing)

#1 Reason why the quitting penalty shouldn’t be in Halo 4 is because it doesn’t work. From my experience, there has been about roughly an equal # of quitters in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, which tells me the the ban is currently not working as intended. I am not going to elaborate on this point as this is already well established by historical examples, aka the title.

============================================================================

Instead I want to look at the motive behind people quitting matches. Tackling the rooting of a problem is often more effective than tackling the superficial symptoms of it.

My conjecture is that most people excluding try-hards, aren’t chronic quitters. We only quit if the game becomes overly one sided or due to repetitive spawn kills by the enemy team. However, these problems aren’t the player’s fault, no matter how hard you try, a newbie can never out DMR an veteran that has invested much time and energy into the game, which in my earnest opinion is how the game should work. The problem is that often than we’d like both the newbie and the veteran gets placed in the same lobby thus allowing the fore mentioned scenario to take place.

My suggestion would be, instead of penalizing the newbies more for putting them in dramatically uneven matches and not allowing them to quit, reward those who do stay in their game and keep fighting. The currently incentive to stay is a joke, a mini-jackpot that is both statically improbable and intangible. You never know when or even if your effort would ever pay off.

A mile stone system that reward players exponential cR points at increasing increments for not quitting on the other hand would be a much better alternative, as you it is both something tangible and trackable like the 1-50 system, giving people the mental motivation of staying in game.

Well i am a real BTB fan and i quit mostly in Objective games when we have 4 players other team has 8 then it just becomes a Banshee killing spree.

> inb4 OP sucks, he gets owned all the time so he rage quits
>
> http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=About265Jews
>
> My k/d is over 2.15
> (My last 1-2 Game sucked, because my cousin was playing)
> ============================================================================
>
> #1 Reason why the quitting penalty shouldn’t be in Halo 4 is because it doesn’t work. From my experience, there has been about roughly an equal # of quitters in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, which tells me the the ban is currently not working as intended. I am not going to elaborate on this point as this is already well established by historical examples, aka the title.
>
>
> Instead I want to look at the motive behind people quitting matches. Tackling the rooting of a problem is often more effective than tackling the superficial symptoms of it.
>
> My conjecture is that most people excluding try-hards, aren’t chronic quitters. We only quit if the game becomes overly one sided or due to repetitive spawn kills by the enemy team. However, these problems aren’t the player’s fault, no matter how hard you try, a newbie can never out DMR an veteran that has invested much time and energy into the game, which in my earnest opinion is how the game should work. The problem is that often than we’d like both the newbie and the veteran gets placed in the same lobby thus allowing the fore mentioned scenario to take place.
>
> My suggestion would be, instead of penalizing the newbies more for putting them in dramatically uneven matches and not allowing them to quit, reward those who do stay in their game and keep fighting. The currently incentive to stay is a joke, a mini-jackpot that is both statically improbable and intangible. You never know when or even if your effort would ever pay off.
>
> A mile stone system that reward players exponential cR points at increasing increments for not quitting on the other hand would be a much better alternative, as you it is both something tangible and trackable like the 1-50 system, giving people the mental motivation of staying in game.

The roots of the problem are.

The game is generally more frustrating than previous Halos with all the added randomness.

And this game relies alot on power weapon control and team shoting, so those who got quit on get pooped n even more than previous halos.

I felt worse for quitting in H2 and H3 than Reach even If i do get quit banned.

The quit ban is like putting out a fire with petrol.

Ill admit, after Rocket Hog Race gets selected for the 2-4 times in a row I quit out each time because I will just AFK and hurt my team because It’s such a bad game type.

Whenever I quit it’s because one of my friend has invited me into his/her game and I don’t want them to wait 7 mins for the match to end.

Increasing cR won’t do anything, no quitter gives a damn about virtual currency. Punishing quitters is the best you can do aside from drop-in/drop-out feature.

> The game is generally more frustrating than previous Halos with all the added randomness.
>
> And this game relies alot on power weapon control and team shoting, so those who got quit on get pooped n even more than previous halos.
>
> I felt worse for quitting in H2 and H3 than Reach even If i do get quit banned.
>
> The quit ban is like putting out a fire with petrol.

Agree.

And nothing short of banning the entire console for a day would make a player stay in a game he wants to quit. Which is why better game design via the TU would help discourage the player from quitting, and adding drop-in to some playlists could replace the quitting player. But a quit ban has no teeth–15 minute timeout is not a big punishment–and it will never work.

> inb4 OP sucks, he gets owned all the time so he rage quits
>
> http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/Default.aspx?player=About265Jews
>
> My k/d is over 2.15
> (My last 1-2 Game sucked, because my cousin was playing)
>
> #1 Reason why the quitting penalty shouldn’t be in Halo 4 is because it doesn’t work. From my experience, there has been about roughly an equal # of quitters in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, which tells me the the ban is currently not working as intended. I am not going to elaborate on this point as this is already well established by historical examples, aka the title.
>
>
> Instead I want to look at the motive behind people quitting matches. Tackling the rooting of a problem is often more effective than tackling the superficial symptoms of it.
>
> My conjecture is that most people excluding try-hards, aren’t chronic quitters. We only quit if the game becomes overly one sided or due to repetitive spawn kills by the enemy team. However, these problems aren’t the player’s fault, no matter how hard you try, a newbie can never out DMR an veteran that has invested much time and energy into the game, which in my earnest opinion is how the game should work. The problem is that often than we’d like both the newbie and the veteran gets placed in the same lobby thus allowing the fore mentioned scenario to take place.
>
> My suggestion would be, instead of penalizing the newbies more for putting them in dramatically uneven matches and not allowing them to quit, reward those who do stay in their game and keep fighting. The currently incentive to stay is a joke, a mini-jackpot that is both statically improbable and intangible. You never know when or even if your effort would ever pay off.
>
> A mile stone system that reward players exponential cR points at increasing increments for not quitting on the other hand would be a much better alternative, as you it is both something tangible and trackable like the 1-50 system, giving people the mental motivation of staying in game.

Just because your kd is high does not make you good, just saying cuz there have been multiple people i played with 2.0 - 3.0 kds and my team wrecked them. Most people with high kds just camp. Im not saying you are bad, im not jesus by any means in this game, but don;tfalunt your kd, it makes you look like a -Yoink-.

Quitting penalty shouldn’t take effect if one of your teammates already quit. Because (thankfully) this game takes skill and teamwork, when that happens it’s often pretty much over, since this is not CoD. If you get owned, then you just lose, simple as that, no reason to quit. However match ups like that should not happen, and mostly would not if there were a 1-50 rank system.

i never quit exept for when im going some where and i have to…

> i never quit exept for when im going some where and i have to…

Ha, multiply this by 100,000 players and you have a quitting problem.

> Just because your kd is high does not make you good, just saying cuz there have been multiple people i played with 2.0 - 3.0 kds and my team wrecked them. Most people with high kds just camp. Im not saying you are bad, im not jesus by any means in this game, but don;tfalunt your kd, it makes you look like a Yoink!.

I don’t camp, and I don’t think I’ve played a single game of zombies.

=D

Couldn’t you have a system where you would pay so much Cr to quit out, at least that way you have to pay for quitting on youre team. The only question is how much Cr to pay.

> Couldn’t you have a system where you would pay so much Cr to quit out, at least that way you have to pay for quitting on youre team. The only question is how much Cr to pay.

See, this is a really good idea. Every time I hear a good idea like this, that would improve Reach instantly, I think, why couldn’t Bungie have thought of this a year ago?

10,000 credits to quit. Nothing less.

Yes but Cr to some people don’t mean anything, I mean Cr only means cosmetics.

> Yes but Cr to some people don’t mean anything, I mean Cr only means cosmetics.

Uh, most anyone can talk about is Cr in this game. It matters to more players than you think. And right now, the deterrent is surfing the web for 15 minutes, after quitting a bajillion times.

Idea > nothing

> #1 Reason why the quitting penalty shouldn’t be in Halo 4 is because it doesn’t work.

And how do you know this?

> From my experience, there has been about roughly an equal # of quitters in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, which tells me the the ban is currently not working as intended. I am not going to elaborate on this point as this is already well established by historical examples, aka the title.

So you don’t.

You have a subjective experience that you’re parading around as objective fact.

> > #1 Reason why the quitting penalty shouldn’t be in Halo 4 is because it doesn’t work.
>
> And how do you know this?
>
>
> > I just explain it, read it again if you are slow
>
> ===================================================================
>
>
> > From my experience, there has been about roughly an equal # of quitters in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, which tells me the the ban is currently not working as intended. I am not going to elaborate on this point as this is already well established by historical examples, aka the title.
>
> So you don’t.
>
> You have a subjective experience that you’re parading around as objective fact.
>
> > General substance usage being lower when they are legal is a fact, the fact that prohibition failed was also a fact. Questioning obvious facts makes you look dumb is also a fact

> > #1 Reason why the quitting penalty shouldn’t be in Halo 4 is because it doesn’t work.
>
> And how do you know this?
>
>
>
> > From my experience, there has been about roughly an equal # of quitters in Halo 3 and Halo Reach, which tells me the the ban is currently not working as intended. I am not going to elaborate on this point as this is already well established by historical examples, aka the title.
>
> So you don’t.
>
> You have a subjective experience that you’re parading around as objective fact.

If we’re still encountering huge, LeBron levels of quitness in Reach coming up on a year later–and I know I am, and I see others dealing with it on a regular basis–then we can say with confidence that the quit ban doesn’t work as intended. It’s intended to keep quitting from being this major of a problem.

We are all parading around our subjective experience as some kind of fact. Even you. So why not focus on the strength of your ideas, instead of playing the Lebowski “it’s just your opinion, man,” card … This is a forum, about a game, a subjective universe but solutions are found all the time to these problems. Solving quitting by wrist-slap bans is clearly not working well.