Questions about the Flood

Say an infection form has infected a human and has mutated it. The human host then becomes damaged in some way.

Does the infection form stay with the host or does it leave? Is it even able to leave the host?

If the infection form is able to leave the host will the host’s body still be look like a combat form, or will it change into something else?

Also if the flood infection form leaves the host, is the host still conscious?

Just a little curious, BTW.

| Greetings!
The majority of the time Flood Combat forms fight until they are unable to battle or are destroyed entirely. If the host’s mutated body last’s long enough it will eventually become a Carrier form. Then of course if the Flood is able to gain enough bio-mass it evolves.

However from what I remember during the events of which John was on Installation 05 and Earth.
The Flood Infection form seemed to be able to survive if the host was not entirely destroyed.
Such as just shooting off the limbs, the host body would “explode” and release an Infection form.

Whether or not this is how all Flood combat forms operate I’m not sure.
However if a host it infected by a Flood Spore, I doubt an Infection form would appear.
I hope that helps answer your questions. |

/Tuo Silens Mors
/Semper Vigilans

If i remember correctly, the flood infection form extend its limbs and control the victim with those, injecting chemicals to keep the control until the host is destroyed.
I suppose that if the host is destroyed but the infection form its intact, it could survive and infect another host.

> If i remember correctly, the flood infection form extend its limbs and control the victim with those, injecting chemicals to keep the control until the host is destroyed.
> I suppose that if the host is destroyed but the infection form its intact, it could survive and infect another host.

When the infection form does infect something, will the infection form always make a chest cavity?

Could the flood infection form have started the infection anywhere else?

If not, does the infection form start at the chest because it is the most convenient place to start?

How do the Flood pilot vehicles? Does a combat form drive, or does Flood biomass just engulf the vehicle?

Sorry for the overabundance of questions in this thread. A bunch of questions about the Flood appeared randomly in my thoughts today.

In Halo: The Flood it is stated that the infection form shrinks to fit in the chest cavity because the creature has 2 long tentacles that connect with the nervous system of the host so i assume that it is the most convenient location to infect because its a central place and the spine is near.

About that if the infection can start elsewere i really dont know about that sorry :confused:

And the flood combat form can pilot the vehicle because it uses the knowledge of the host, so basically the combat form drive the vehicle.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

> In Halo: The Flood it is stated that the infection form shrinks to fit in the chest cavity because the creature has 2 long tentacles that connect with the nervous system of the host so i assume that it is the most convenient location to infect because its a central place and the spine is near.
>
> About that if the infection can start elsewere i really dont know about that sorry :confused:
>
> And the flood combat form can pilot the vehicle because it uses the knowledge of the host, so basically the combat form drive the vehicle.
>
> Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Pretty much this, the infection form always sits in the chest cavity. That’s why there are red, flower-like tendrils coming from the chest. They’re part of the infection form. One of my favourite ways to kill Flood in Halo 3 actually was to shoot the tendrils with a battle rifle or carbine because it kills the infection form within in one shot. It was fast but the downside was that other infection forms could go inside and replace the previous one because the host body wasn’t damaged.

As for vehicles I assume it could be either. The infection form would know everything that the host body knew, all of it’s memories and skills, it also had. If it infected a Pelican pilot it would be able to fly a Pelican for instance. As for larger ships (Like starships and High Charity) it’s likely just biomass interfacing directly with the controls through electrical impulses. Brains are just organic computers (Which is why people theorise that we’ll be able to download a consciousness’ into computers) so the Flood or a gravemind would probably be able to interface with the ship (Similar to an analogue to digital converter).

If the Flood were created to unify all life, then why were the Flood unable to infect some forms of sentient life?

i.e. Grunts, jackals, hunters, drones.

Was it an oversight, or does infecting a species and turning another into biomass count a unifying?

The Mona Lisa is canon, right? If so, why does the elite combat form near the beginning stomp repeatedly on Rabbit’s chest?
Wouldn’t infecting her seem like a more viable option?

I believe its the biomass that can be used to form things like Graveminds, which does count as unifying.

> The Mona Lisa is canon, right? If so, why does the elite combat form near the beginning stomp repeatedly on Rabbit’s chest? Wouldn’t infecting her seem like a more viable option?

Yes, it is canon. That was a normal, uninfected elite, however. If it was an elite combat form though, and it’s host body was damaged, infecting her would be the best option. The infection form could probably just hop out and infect Rabbit’s body instead.

I think that was an Elite that didn’t get infected and remember it tried to destroy to body because the Flood can infect even dead organisms.