Question to the competitive community

Why EXACTLY do you not like this game? People have said a range of different things, but as a Halo Veteran myself i dont personally understand how you can have such a strong hatred for this game.

Halo 4 started off slow for me, i had a negative k/d and i really struggled with the game mechanics. But i learnt through trial and error what worked and what didn’t.

So my question is this, lets say magically 343i fix everything that all the competitive players want (within reason), so we balance the weapons, get a 1-50 ranking system etc… what are you going to do if you still hate it? Because from my experience a game doesnt change because of updates.

Halo 2, will always be that glitchy Halo with tones of bugs and was as inbalanced as CoD on steroids.

Halo 3, will always be the dud that didnt meet the communites expectations and only really appealed AFTER a TU.

Reach, will ALWAYS be Reach, even after the TU.

> Why EXACTLY do you not like this game? People have said a range of different things, but as a Halo Veteran myself i dont personally understand how you can have such a strong hatred for this game.
>
> Halo 4 started off slow for me, i had a negative k/d and i really struggled with the game mechanics. But i learnt through trial and error what worked and what didn’t.
>
> So my question is this, lets say magically 343i <mark>fix everything that all the competitive players want (within reason)</mark>, so we balance the weapons, get a 1-50 ranking system etc… what are you going to do if you still hate it? Because from my experience a game doesnt change because of updates.
>
> Halo 2, will always be that glitchy Halo with tones of bugs and was as inbalanced as CoD on steroids.
>
> Halo 3, will always be the dud that didnt meet the communites expectations and only really appealed AFTER a TU.
>
> Reach, will ALWAYS be Reach, even after the TU.

Reasonable competitives are much rarer than you think. They are out there, yes, but not too much around Waypoint.

This is a question with a complicated answer which you need an understanding of game design to grasp. I won’t go into it as it will take ages to explain so instead here is a heavily simplified version:

343’s disregard for Halo’s past, competitive community and the community as a whole.

The lack of a classic playlist, ranking system and good competitive maps.

The poorness of which the game was delivered, tested and patched.

you didn’t give the option of map made weapon drops of randomness, no reason to need a strategy, no reason to use map control, weapon drops for doing next to nothing and so on.

Im studying Game Design in Uni, so that isn’t over my head.

When you say disregard for Halo’s past, what do you mean exactly?

A classic playlist is only going to slow down search times for everyone who doesn’t want a classic playlist. A ranking system is on the way and i dont believe ANY Halo (except Halo 2) came with competitive maps from the get go.

The game was delivered better than Halo 2… any veteran would know this… so whats the issue?

In reply to Jiatsu, the beginning of the match the weapon drops are identical… so whats the issue? Strategies are there, they’re just different from those used in the past, random weapon drops are fair and balanced because a skilled player should be able to shoot his way to the weapon.

While I think H4 is leaps and bounds greater than Reach (may it burn in hell) it moved too far away from classic Halo. The way I can play it is if I tell myself that it’s not actually a Halo game. If I don’t have those standards it’s not that bad of a game.

> While I think H4 is leaps and bounds greater than Reach (may it burn in hell) it moved too far away from classic Halo. The way I can play it is if I tell myself that it’s not actually a Halo game. If I don’t have those standards it’s not that bad of a game.

What IS Halo though? Is it dual wielding stolen from Golden Eye? Is it fiction stolen from already created sci fi universes?
IMO Halo takes what exists and makes it better

> Im studying Game Design in Uni, so that isn’t over my head.
>
> When you say disregard for Halo’s past, what do you mean exactly?
>
> A classic playlist is only going to slow down search times for everyone who doesn’t want a classic playlist. A ranking system is on the way and i dont believe ANY Halo (except Halo 2) came with competitive maps from the get go.
>
> The game was delivered better than Halo 2… any veteran would know this… so whats the issue?
>
> In reply to Jiatsu, the beginning of the match the weapon drops are identical… so whats the issue? Strategies are there, they’re just different from those used in the past, random weapon drops are fair and balanced because a skilled player should be able to shoot his way to the weapon.

Ok then. If i’m speaking to someone who ‘knows what they are talking about’ let’s put that to the test:

What is map flow?
And why will remaking maps successfully from previous Halo titles be difficult for Halo 4?

When Halo 2 was released it was a terrible however a patch fixed it. Halo 4 could follow this same revival. However it appears that 343 did not learn form Bungie’s mistakes.

As for everything else - It’s 1:30 AM in my time zone, I’m not going to explain it tonight. I will add this thread to my favourites and will be back tomorrow.

> > While I think H4 is leaps and bounds greater than Reach (may it burn in hell) it moved too far away from classic Halo. The way I can play it is if I tell myself that it’s not actually a Halo game. If I don’t have those standards it’s not that bad of a game.
>
> What IS Halo though? Is it dual wielding stolen from Golden Eye? Is it fiction stolen from already created sci fi universes?
> IMO Halo takes what exists and makes it better

What is Halo? Balance, skill, teamwork, small arena, big team, the golden triangle. It’s the intensity of that final kill standoff. The satisfaction of out-gunning someone. The craziness of trying to keep a flag cap alive. The excitement of quick scoping someone for a sick over kill.
That sounded extremely cheesy, but I have many memories of Halo. From CE lan with my friends, Coagulation sniping, to H3 matchmaking for five years. These new “Halos” don’t have the same feel and satisfaction the others did.