Question to CEA players

Hello interested reader, thanks for clicking.

I’m considering to buy Halo CEA, but I don’t want it to be like, finish campaign once or twice to fill in the gaps in my halo history memory and for nostalgia, then try out multiplayer and find out it is actually exactly Reach, but on different maps.

So my question is: what’s CEA multiplayer like? Does it have the same TU settings that are in the other playlists? Is it basically TU Reach but purely on the new maps? If so, are you equally frustrated in both systems, or do the good maps make up for the poor game mechanics?

The classic settings (3sk pistol) are in just one playlist, right? Is Zero bloom used anywhere in CEA?

This looks like a barrage of questions, but it all comes down to: is it worth buying? Do you advise buying just the map pack? Or nothing at all?

> Hello interested reader, thanks for clicking.
>
> I’m considering to buy Halo CEA, but I don’t want it to be like, finish campaign once or twice to fill in the gaps in my halo history memory and for nostalgia, then try out multiplayer and find out it is actually exactly Reach, but on different maps.
>
> So my question is: what’s CEA multiplayer like? Does it have the same TU settings that are in the other playlists? Is it basically TU Reach but purely on the new maps? If so, are you equally frustrated in both systems, or do the good maps make up for the poor game mechanics?
>
> The classic settings (3sk pistol) are in just one playlist, right? Is Zero bloom used anywhere in CEA?
>
> This looks like a barrage of questions, but it all comes down to: is it worth buying? Do you advise buying just the map pack? Or nothing at all?

So first, visit this page.

Look at the “Gametype” available for each play list.

If the prefix reads:

TU - It’s a Title Update game.
Aniv. - It’s a classic game using a 3sk Pistol WITH the TU bleedthrough mechanic.
If you don’t see either of those prefix’s, then you’re playing default Reach.

ZB gametypes to my knowledge are only available in the Beta Playlist, though someone with more MLG experience than me might be able to tell you if ZB can also be found there. (pretty certain that’s what ZBS means on their gametypes)

MY OPINION?

I don’t like the TU, but I love Aniv games, and I get more than enough of those in both the Aniv Slayer and Aniv BTB playlist to sate my appetite.

But if you love the TU, between the updated match making algorithms and Aniv playlists using TU gametypes, I really think you would get a lot of enjoyment out of owning the new maps.

You do know that you don’t have to own CEA to get the maps right? They are available to purchase separately here.

Thanks for the clear info.

I don’t like the TU, but i do like the aniversary gametype from the look of it. My fear was that I would only be able to play TU except for in one playlist and that i would basically end up buying a lot of maps for just one gametype.

And yes, i knew that the maps are available on xbox live, however either I buy CEA or I buy nothing at all, because I want to check out the campaign as well and i would pay almost twice as much if i decided to buy campaign after i bought the maps.

> Thanks for the clear info.
>
> I don’t like the TU, but i do like the aniversary gametype from the look of it. My fear was that I would only be able to play TU except for in one playlist and that i would basically end up buying a lot of maps for just one gametype.
>
> And yes, i knew that the maps are available on xbox live, however either I buy CEA or I buy nothing at all, because I want to check out the campaign as well and i would pay almost twice as much if i decided to buy campaign after i bought the maps.

I’m going to recommend then that you purchase a new copy of CEA, and not a used one, that way you can navigate between all the playlists without having to change your disc out.

Buying a used copy likely means you wont get the download code for the Aniv maps.

I was going to do that anyway, but if i wanted to buy a used one i would not have thought about that detail. Thanks anyway for the reminder :slight_smile:

:wink:

Buy the whole game.

The campaign is good enough in its remastered form to be worth playing over and over, just like the original. The controls being set to the same ones you’re used to from Reach is a bonus too.

As for the multiplayer, yes, it is basically Reach’s multiplayer on new maps. However, there’s enough that’s different, and enough new playlists to make it feel like its own game. The maps still feel like the ones we love from Halo: CE, and do the job of making you feel like you’re back playing the original, just in super-good HD.

All in all, it’s definitely worth your $40.