Question to 343i about Reach possibly retconning the Fall of Reach novel and stuff we already knew

Yes, I know, most of you will say we need to play the game first and no, I have not looked at any spoilers or played any leaks as like most true fans, and want to be surprised by what I see in the game, but of course the preview stuff we have seen, apparently the game Reach starts in late July of 2552 when in the novels, even the re-released Falll of Reach, which has a typo putting it in 2542 instead of 52 through the entire book, still listed the time of events of the Battle of Reach as in August, lasting a few days-weeks. Now maybe the game does explain this, but will 343 eventually answer or talk about the new timeframe of things after release, maybe Frankie answering questions in regard to the overall universe and the game, on here or HBO or even Bungie :), or will we need to wait and see at the next Halo/343i panel like at Comic Con? This whole thing is really confusing, especially since Nyland, who wrote the novels, actually wrote the Halsey Journal packed in with the Limited and Legendary editions of the game, so that proves Nyland had some impact on Halo: Reach. Regardless of that, though, it seems like they ignored his earlier fiction and essentially retconned his novel, which had a second edition come out just a month prior, itself with no major retcon! Sorry for the rant but this whole thing has really confused me and had me worried about the consistancy of the universe for future stories.

Hopefully when Reach comes out, it’ll clear some things up. Until then, we are stuck with the fiction and things the way they are.

> Hopefully when Reach comes out, it’ll clear some things up. Until then, we are stuck with the fiction and things the way they are.

FUBAR

Well, I don’t think Reach magically fell in a day or two. So a few weeks is more than likely.

Why would you say magically? LOL we are talking about a huge and superior alien force attacking a single planet. Realistically it could happen within hours.

VAVA,

I’m not going to delve into specific points of ficiton prior to Reach’s release, as everyone needs to experience the events depicted in the game’s campaign for themselves, but know this… Everyone involved with Halo’s fiction (both here at 343i and at Bungie) take great care in creafting each story told, whether it’s a game, novel, comic, animation, etc. and nothing related to the overall narrative of the Halo universe is created without careful consideration for what’s been established and what’s to come.

-Jon

> VAVA,
>
> I’m not going to delve into specific points of ficiton prior to Reach’s release, as everyone needs to experience the events depicted in the game’s campaign for themselves, but know this… Everyone involved with Halo’s fiction (both here at 343i and at Bungie) take great care in creafting each story told, whether it’s a game, novel, comic, animation, etc. and nothing related to the overall narrative of the Halo universe is created without careful consideration for what’s been established and what’s to come.
>
> -Jon

o.O

> Well, I don’t think Reach magically fell in a day or two. So a few weeks is more than likely.

it is at least one week, maybe more (cant remember exactly).

Upon reflection, I believe that Reach will upset the canon we have been used to in the books over the past nine or so years. I think we should all be prepared to face that Halo’s canon will diverge into two separate categories: Book canon, and Game canon. The Game canon will obviously tie into all the other games. It will establish the flow of the franchise as a videogame.

The books, as always, will be a companion to the game. Most of the books will work within the timeline of events in the Halo universe; but there will be inconsistencies. We already see this with the number of SPARTAN IIs that are operational. We will more than likely see even more of this once Halo: Reach releases.

For example, in the games Master Chief is the last known surviving SPARTAN II. In the books however, it is widely acknowledged that he is not and there are several others still alive. For all intents and purposes, 90% of the people will follow the first canon established. However, I think this again falls into Bungie’s hierarchy of canon that they established.

Will TFoR be disregarded? Most certainly the battle of Reach will be disregarded. The rest of the book? Probably not.

> Upon reflection, I believe that Reach will upset the canon we have been used to in the books over the past nine or so years. I think we should all be prepared to face that Halo’s canon will diverge into two separate categories: Book canon, and Game canon. The Game canon will obviously tie into all the other games. It will establish the flow of the franchise as a videogame.
>
> The books, as always, will be a companion to the game. Most of the books will work within the timeline of events in the Halo universe; but there will be inconsistencies. We already see this with the number of SPARTAN IIs that are operational. We will more than likely see even more of this once Halo: Reach releases.
>
> For example, in the games Master Chief is the last known surviving SPARTAN II. In the books however, it is widely acknowledged that he is not and there are several others still alive. For all intents and purposes, 90% of the people will follow the first canon established. However, I think this again falls into Bungie’s hierarchy of canon that they established.
>
> Will TFoR be disregarded? Most certainly the battle of Reach will be disregarded. The rest of the book? Probably not.

My only problem with that, is that it was just over a week ago that 343i said that separate canon wasn’t needed because they all take a lot of care in crafting their stories so they all fit together.

Which is it going to be now? I’m fine with anything really, but I’m tired of hearing writers for 343i sitting at comicon pannels all day gloating about how it’s ONE universe that they all get to write meaningful stories for…

I haven’t played Reach, and if it fits that great, if it breaks something then I want clarification, the weird part isn’t that I want clarification, the weird part is that 343i doesn’t seem to want to give any.

So the 14th will come and go, and either a lot of people are going to be very happy with the 343i writers, or very unhappy.

Jon seems to think we’ll be happy, so I’m looking forward to it.

I don’t mind if the timeline is pushed a month early. WHat I don’t accept is the fact that the battle of reach in the game completely contradicts everything in the novel. LIke seriously bad from fleet numbers to firepower and how the hell did a blank get past ODFs.

> VAVA,
>
> I’m not going to delve into specific points of ficiton prior to Reach’s release, as everyone needs to experience the events depicted in the game’s campaign for themselves, but know this… Everyone involved with Halo’s fiction (both here at 343i and at Bungie) take great care in creafting each story told, whether it’s a game, novel, comic, animation, etc. and nothing related to the overall narrative of the Halo universe is created without careful consideration for what’s been established and what’s to come.
>
> -Jon

I was talking about this kinda stuff just the other night and Halo could possibly become well along the same lines as LOTR or Star wars in its diverse story and universe.
Where I was a bit disappointed that it was BUNGIE’s final game, I was happy to know that 343 is taking over the game for the fact that their taking the halo universe to the next level with a largely detailed background of the universe. In the last three BUNGIE games ODST and Halo 3 i was really disappointed with the story. I felt that it was missing a lot or could have been elaborated on a lot more like halo 1 and 2 was.
So i guess in the end im hoping that 343not only takes the game to the next level but also take sthe in game story to the next level as well because they will have a huge bar to raise to compete eith bungie.

With the release finally here, I’m not afraid at this point to say, thanks for screwing us over Bungie. I don’t blame 343 for this debacle. Someone at Bungie clearly was incompetent when they devised the details of the campaign.

Reassure us all you want, but To all the Fall of Reach fans, we’ve been swept under the bus. Having bought all their literature, this is a giant joke.

> With the release finally here, I’m not afraid at this point to say, thanks for screwing us over Bungie. I don’t blame 343 for this debacle. Someone at Bungie clearly was incompetent when they devised the details of the campaign.
>
> Reassure us all you want, but To all the Fall of Reach fans, we’ve been swept under the bus. Having bought all their literature, this is a giant joke.

Maybe if you read a bit more on the bnet weekly updates that they said this " the game will not in anyway be in tune with the book"

Posted by urk many moons ago. the book wasn’t written by anyone at bungie ,who I might remind you created the game, therefore they don’t have to follow it.

Besides the book is based off the story of MC NOT noble team and their mission.]

get your fact straight before you start talking -blam-

And then the game came out, and the fine novel that was The Fall of Reach was contradicted ten ways from Sunday.

Actually, if you read up on Eric Nylund, you would know he works(ed) for Microsoft Game studios and was/is in charge of keeping the Halo Universe in check.

http://ericnylund.net/?page_id=2
From his about page:

"in the beginning, most writers working on video games had to be content with writing game manuals and the “read me” files that tell you to install new drivers for your computer video card to get the game working properly…but this soon evolved into helping game developers writer better dialog, better scripts, better games, and then architecting huge story arcs to help build blocker buster, billion-dollar game franchises.
As a writer and story consultant for Microsoft Game Studios, Eric Nylund has been instrumental in developing and maintaining game franchises such as HALO and GEARS OF WAR. He has helped shape the intellectual property for some of the world’s best videogame developers including Bioware, Ensemble Studios, and Epic Games."

So yes, I feel Bungie does have some fault for not sticking to their own canon. The same can be said about George Lucas giving a big middle finger to the Expanded Universe as well.

“The Fall of Reach” was penned by Eric Nylund, he pretty much laid the foundation for the Halo Universe after Combat Evolved was released. All of his books were well written, and the new game does a great disservice to them.

I never expected the new game to follow the books, but I didn’t expect it to interrupt them either. Halo Reach is plagued by inconsistencies with the rest of the franchise. If I had never picked up a Halo book I probably would have enjoyed the game a lot more. But if you’re not going to respect what you’ve already put out, why should I?

This was also revealed as a mistake on the part of Bungie “getting the times wrong”

The whole storyline of Halo is slight confused because of the fact you have:

-the books

-bungie’s games

-microsofts games

Plus, the games studios 343 Industries (accordingly named from 343 Guilty Sparks) has also announced they will be creating the next Halo game, which WILL involve the return of Master Chief <3

spoilers spoilers

Now that the game is out and the story most definetly changes the “canon” I wonder what route 343 intends to take. This pretty much flies in the face of what they have been saying about keeping it all in line.

I know Bungie created Halo but I wish they had followed the established canon for the series. This pretty much seperates the games from the books now into two seperate canons as far as I’m concerned.

Don’t get me wrong the Game is -Yoink!- -Yoink-. Best halo so far.

Campaign was decent, and quite underwhelming. I though the storyline would make up for that, but alas, Bungie gave Eric Nylund’s best selling book the finger and then mocked Nylund by forcing him to write the Halsey Journal in an attempt to rectify some inconsistencies. Despite his attempts, Halo Reach made the storyline disgustingly awful.

I’d like 343i to explain how in the world did a 4km SuperCarrier get pass Slipspace monitoring stations and the hundreds of satellites that orbit reach.

I’d like 343 to explain what in the world was the UNSC’s 150 ships and 20 SuperMAc was doing while the Carrier floated freely in low orbit. You would defend that the ship was “cloaking”, but any freaking idiot would spot that ship easily, certainly that satellite did.

And dumb part about that was the Covenant fleet didn’t even arrive yet.
UNSC has to be the most incompetent military force I’ve ever seen in military scifi.

Oh, I’d some explanation on how in the hell did the UNSC primary military fortress run out of nukes…that’s just plain stupid. Which then led to Kat’s dumb plan of using a slipsace generator which lacked repetitive detonators, seriously, this is cliche. George died for absolutely no reason.

Furthermore, …forget it, don’t get me started on the UNSC piss-poor MAC gun. Seriously, the lest level has you controlling a MAC-gun.

DOn’t even get me started on the stupid idea of retrofitting the Autumn on the ground…