Question regarding LAN parties and DLC

Hello everyone!

I am hosting a Halo 4 LAN party in about a week.
I am a Map Pass owner and have every DLC map pack available on my hard drive bought through the Map Pass.
As far as I know, when I buy content on Xbox Live, I get 2 licenses:

  • One for the account that bought the content
  • One for the console in which the purchase was made

Every account on said console has access to the content, as well as the account that bought it, regardless of the console in which it accesses Xbox Live.

My questions are the following:

  • Am I allowed to download my profile on a second console, download the map pass through my download history, access the marketplace inside Halo 4 and download all the map packs?
  • If so, can I play, through LAN, on that second console, with accounts in the console that has the console license, on those DLC maps?
  • Can other accounts on the second console access these maps as long as I my profile is online on that console?

Thank you very much for any help!

Infinity out.

Can anyone help me out here?
(hope this isn’t illegal or considered bump, as it has been 17h since the original post…)

The second or third Xbox needs to be connected to the internet for it to recognize your ownership of the content.

You will need to sign in on those extra systems and load the game. Sign out after you are on the Start screen and then sign in the other players.

The reason is because your system may have the DLC on the HDD but the Xbox does not have authorization to play it with out you online on your non primary system. By loading the game online and then signing out you fool your Xbox into allowing others to use your content.

You do not need to remain online for the duration of your event so long as you do not shut off the systems…if you do shut them down you will need to repeat the process.

This is the trick we used in hour LAN party’s years ago on Halo 3 and it still works today. Its the only way I know to share DLC between two separate systems.

I was thinking about this a few days ago but would this work?
Player A
Player B

If Player A lets Player B recover A’s account on B’s console and purchases a DLC. B’s console would get the console license, and A’s account would get the account license. Then if A recover its own account back to its console and downloads the DLC, would both A and B able to use the DLC?

I might try this with the Champion DLC if it does work.

Yes, the system you buy DLC on gets the license, so as long as you have your ID and DLC downloaded to your system everything will work flawlessly so long as you have an active Internet connection.

The other system can use the content online/offline whatever, yours can not though even if you have your ID.

The only exception is if you are online playing the game and you lose connection…then so long as you do not leave the game for dashboard, load another game or shut down the system you can still use the content.

> The second or third Xbox needs to be connected to the internet for it to recognize your ownership of the content.
>
> You will need to sign in on those extra systems and load the game. Sign out after you are on the Start screen and then sign in the other players.
>
> The reason is because your system may have the DLC on the HDD but the Xbox does not have authorization to play it with out you online on your non primary system. By loading the game online and then signing out you fool your Xbox into allowing others to use your content.
>
> You do not need to remain online for the duration of your event so long as you do not shut off the systems…if you do shut them down you will need to repeat the process.
>
> This is the trick we used in hour LAN party’s years ago on Halo 3 and it still works today. Its the only way I know to share DLC between two separate systems.

Thank you very much!
I will try this and after that, I will let you know if it worked or not.
My LAN Party will take place on the 21st, so I still have a week to set it up properly. :wink:
Thanks again for the advice!

> Yes, the system you buy DLC on gets the license, so as long as you have your ID and DLC downloaded to your system everything will work flawlessly so long as you have an active Internet connection.
>
> <mark>The other system can use the content online/offline whatever, yours can not though even if you have your ID.</mark>
>
> The only exception is if you are online playing the game and you lose connection…then so long as you do not leave the game for dashboard, load another game or shut down the system you can still use the content.

Wait wait wait, so the person with the Account license can’t play online?

If they turn off the console, they have to download the DLC again?

> > Yes, the system you buy DLC on gets the license, so as long as you have your ID and DLC downloaded to your system everything will work flawlessly so long as you have an active Internet connection.
> >
> > <mark>The other system can use the content online/offline whatever, yours can not though even if you have your ID.</mark>
> >
> > The only exception is if you are online playing the game and you lose connection…then so long as you do not leave the game for dashboard, load another game or shut down the system you can still use the content.
>
> Wait wait wait, so the person with the Account license can’t play online?
>
> If they turn off the console, they have to download the DLC again?

I think what he is trying to say is:

If console B (the secondary console, without the console license) has your ID and DLC downloaded, everything will work well.

Console A (the primary console, with the console license) can use the content however they want, but console B can’t be put offline, except when connection is lost.

The person with the account license can play online on the secondary console, but not offline.
That is what I’ve gathered from his comment.

Okay I was a little confused about the highlighted area because he said both online and offline. Thanks for clearing it up, and I apologize for using your thread to ask a question. I didn’t think my question was worthy enough to make a topic.

Hey man, don’t apologize, it’s not a problem at all! :smiley:
We all get along. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You’re holding a LAN party? Awesome :smiley: that was the best thing about Halo CE and 2, have fun!

Thank you!
I’ve only thrown a LAN party for Halo 3 last year, and that was the most fun Ive ever had in my long, varied, gaming history! :smiley:

> > > Yes, the system you buy DLC on gets the license, so as long as you have your ID and DLC downloaded to your system everything will work flawlessly so long as you have an active Internet connection.
> > >
> > > <mark>The other system can use the content online/offline whatever, yours can not though even if you have your ID.</mark>
> > >
> > > The only exception is if you are online playing the game and you lose connection…then so long as you do not leave the game for dashboard, load another game or shut down the system you can still use the content.
> >
> > Wait wait wait, so the person with the Account license can’t play online?
> >
> > If they turn off the console, they have to download the DLC again?
>
> I think what he is trying to say is:
>
> If console B (the secondary console, without the console license) has your ID and DLC downloaded, everything will work well.
>
> Console A (the primary console, with the console license) can use the content however they want, but console B can’t be put offline, except when connection is lost.
>
> The person with the account license can play online on the secondary console, but not offline.
> That is what I’ve gathered from his comment.

Correct. The secondary console must have an internet connection and the content owners ID signed in for the content to work.

After the game is loaded it is ok to lose the network connection because the system has downloaded the DRM.

> Thank you!
> I’ve only thrown a LAN party for Halo 3 last year, and that was the most fun Ive ever had in my long, varied, gaming history! :smiley:

In my experience LAN party’s were amazing. My team used to all live close together at one point and we’d get together over the weekend at a budys place that had a lot of spare rooms and we’d do two teams for CTF or Slayer.

I had more fun back then than we have ever had playing on Xbox Live.

Have fun and be sure to stock up on Soda and Pizza!

I used 2 xbox’s last time: 8 people.
Now I am trying to gather 12 people for 3 xbox’s. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, before I was on my Galaxy S3 and its hard to type out exactly what you need or want to say on Mobile so let me sum this up again real quick just to make sure you have it down.

To get your content to work on multiple consoles first you need to download your profile and DLC to the other systems. Your primary console ( noted as being the one you made the original purchase of the DLC on) can play your content offline or online it makes no difference. However, your other systems ( the ones you will be downloading the content to again ) will need to have an active network connection long enough for you to sign in and load Halo 4. After you load the game and see the title screen with the wreckage of the Dawn, you can sign out and let the other player(s) sign in.

> Sorry, before I was on my Galaxy S3 and its hard to type out exactly what you need or want to say on Mobile so let me sum this up again real quick just to make sure you have it down.
>
> To get your content to work on multiple consoles first you need to download your profile and DLC to the other systems. Your primary console ( noted as being the one you made the original purchase of the DLC on) can play your content offline or online it makes no difference. However, your other systems ( the ones you will be downloading the content to again ) will need to have an active network connection long enough for you to sign in and load Halo 4. After you load the game and see the title screen with the wreckage of the Dawn, you can sign out and let the other player(s) sign in.

After that, may I sign in back on my original console?
And may I sign in my account to xbox Live?
Or when I do, the secondary console loses the rights to play?