Question on bandwidth during multiplayer—

Before I proceed with my question, yes my ISP only allows me certain amount of data per month, no I can’t change it because of the area I live.

Now, I’ve come across a strange conundrum concerning the bandwidth usage during sessions on matchmaking. When I’m in a small game like infinity slayer, I’m consuming more of my data per hour than I would have in Reach. I’ve tried to figure out what the reason would be but I could never really figure out what would be eating so much of it.

All other multiplayer games I’ve ran have only eaten about 20-35 megs worth of data per every hour and thirty minutes; this including Reach, ME3’s multiplayer and even Battlefield 3. Strangely, Halo 4 has me spiking erratically to the hundreds of megabytes in less than twelve minutes. What in the world would make that happen?

Are you pulling host? Host might be pulling more data from each game participant.

I am consuming around 1GB per day when doing a decent session in Halo 4 so over around 25-30 matches would average 30-40 MB per game. Noting that there is other internet use during the day so maybe 20MB per 10 minute game is a better guide.

Mhmm, that could explain it. I guess I should watch the counter to ensure I’m not pulling host. Thanks!

> Mhmm, that could explain it. I guess I should watch the counter to ensure I’m not pulling host. Thanks!

Nah there is no way that you’re transferring 100s of MBs of data in 12 mins for H4. Like, there has to be a background download or something you don’t know about. 10MB a minute is a huge amount, I’m 100% certain that hosting wouldn’t cause that.

> > Mhmm, that could explain it. I guess I should watch the counter to ensure I’m not pulling host. Thanks!
>
> Nah there is no way that you’re transferring 100s of MBs of data in 12 mins for H4. Like, there has to be a background download or something you don’t know about. 10MB a minute is a huge amount, I’m 100% certain that hosting wouldn’t cause that.

My computer has background downloads turned off and I watch the NetSpeedMonitor and I’m not downloading anything.

Hosting on anything unless it’s a server usually puts me in a corner as it does eat through my bandwidth. I never try to host, for the sake of other players and for my own personal reason for my bandwidth. While there is a server, the game chooses host to equalize the latency for everyone no matter the distance between them and other players. If it was a centralize server, then we would be region-locked in playing in the area we live.

When I play Battlefield 3, there are localized servers but you can also choose to play servers in other regions, though normally those have awful latency. When it comes to games like Halo 4 or Call of Duty, people are the host through the servers provided, and it chooses at random the best connection amongst all the players during the game, thus allowing for a better latency for all. That’s how I understand it with Halo 4, but I may be wrong.

I did a test to see and apparently I was pulling host. I turned my NAT to strict and now I’m no longer eating through 100mbs. Of course I had to turn everything off and go completely private.

It’s a bit of a hassle but for my situation, it is a solution.