question about the didacts armor

Since halo four I was under the impression his armor was made out of hardlight and NOT a metal or an alloy. Can someone shed some light on this please?
SPOILERS

Also for those complaining about john piercing his eye, it is an Olympic level athlete in half a ton of armor that significantly enhances his strength, using alot of force on the applied target. Maybe his blade is made out of some material that cuts atoms.

If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.

And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.

Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.

> Since halo four I was under the impression his armor was made out of hardlight and NOT a metal or an alloy. Can someone shed some light on this please?

While, yes, it does appear to be solely metal, hard light is definitely involved to some degree.

Now, if you want to get technical, the metal isn’t solely metal. It’s combined with hard light to reinforce the structure, which is why when you damage or shoot Forerunner structures, you get a bluish, geometric pattern that appears.

> If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
>
> And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
>
> Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.

I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.

As for the armor classes, Firstly I can’t argue that and second I have no idea where your getting these classes however I did not finish reading CRYPTUM as I thought it was boring and rather liked primordium and silentium better.
Can someone give forruner armor feats? If not then their shouldn’t be complaining because we simply don’t know the details of what’s being argued.

> > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> >
> > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> >
> > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
>
> I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> <mark>Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.</mark>
>
> As for the armor classes, Firstly I can’t argue that and second I have no idea where your getting these classes however I did not finish reading CRYPTUM as I thought it was boring and rather liked primordium and silentium better.
> Can someone give forruner armor feats? If not then their shouldn’t be complaining because we simply don’t know the details of what’s being argued.

It’s an exaggeration but very roughly correct. Splitting atoms is known as nuclear fission otherwise known as what we use in nuclear reactors and bombs.

It’s also utterly impossible for an atom to be “cut”.

The idea from armour classses comes from 343 Guilty Spark’s dialogue and speculation based on the Didact’s rank in the Forerunner military.

> > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> >
> > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> >
> > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
>
> I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but <mark>I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms</mark>. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.
> .

You’re getting atoms confused with molecules. There are several characters in Metal Gear who use special swords that are reinforced with powerful currents that resonate at high frequencies. The molecular bonds of whatever the sword meets WEAKENS, increasing the swords cutting power.

The sword doesn’t actually split molecules, let alone atoms. I’m not sure about the scientific merit of this concept so I can’t really comment on whether it makes any sense in the real world, or would exist in the Halo universe.

> > > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> > >
> > > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> > >
> > > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
> >
> > I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but <mark>I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms</mark>. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> > Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.
> > .
>
> You’re getting atoms confused with molecules. There are several characters in Metal Gear who use special swords that are reinforced with powerful currents that resonate at high frequencies. The molecular bonds of whatever the sword meets WEAKENS, increasing the swords cutting power.
>
> The sword doesn’t actually split molecules, let alone atoms. I’m not sure about the scientific merit of this concept so I can’t really comment on whether it makes any sense in the real world, or would exist in the Halo universe.

In other fictional works, they’re often known as monomolecular blades because they’re sharpened to the point where the thickness of the sharpest point is one molecule. Kai Leng and Cerberus Phantoms use them in the Mass Effect series.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Halo Universe doesn’t have monomolecular blades yet…

> In other fictional works, they’re often known as monomolecular blades because they’re sharpened to the point where the thickness of the sharpest point is one molecule. Kai Leng and Cerberus Phantoms use them in the Mass Effect series.
>
> Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Halo Universe doesn’t have monomolecular blades yet…

Even if they were, I don’t think it would be a human weapon (probably Promethean if any). Let alone used for standard issue knives for Spartans.

> > In other fictional works, they’re often known as monomolecular blades because they’re sharpened to the point where the thickness of the sharpest point is one molecule. Kai Leng and Cerberus Phantoms use them in the Mass Effect series.
> >
> > Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Halo Universe doesn’t have monomolecular blades yet…
>
> Even if they were, I don’t think it would be a human weapon (probably Promethean if any). Let alone used for standard issue knives for Spartans.

I meant the UNSC likely doesn’t have them aha. No doubt that those arm-mounted, hardlight blades the Prometheans are rocking could be monomolecular.

> > > In other fictional works, they’re often known as monomolecular blades because they’re sharpened to the point where the thickness of the sharpest point is one molecule. Kai Leng and Cerberus Phantoms use them in the Mass Effect series.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Halo Universe doesn’t have monomolecular blades yet…
> >
> > Even if they were, I don’t think it would be a human weapon (probably Promethean if any). Let alone used for standard issue knives for Spartans.
>
> I meant the UNSC likely doesn’t have them aha. No doubt that those arm-mounted, hardlight blades the Prometheans are rocking could be monomolecular.

I mean, look at what they could do in the Halo 4 terminals. They could cut through Forerunner ships, which are thicker and most likely as strong or stronger than 343 Guilty Spark’s armour, which could take a direct shot from a Spartan laser and not be harmed.

som sort of metal armour not hard light

> > Since halo four I was under the impression his armor was made out of hardlight and NOT a metal or an alloy. Can someone shed some light on this please?
>
> While, yes, it does appear to be solely metal, hard light is definitely involved to some degree.
>
> Now, if you want to get technical, the metal isn’t solely metal. It’s combined with hard light to reinforce the structure, which is why when you damage or shoot Forerunner structures, you get a bluish, geometric pattern that appears.

Do you have a source for that statement? If so, someone should update Halopedia if it isn’t on there.

Alright guys thanks alot for the info about the blade I learned something new. :slight_smile:
As per my main question, so basically it’s just what I thought we don’t know and can only speculate alright im fine with that. But since chief accomplished this feat its canon unless stated otherwise.

> > > > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> > > >
> > > > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> > > >
> > > > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
> > >
> > > I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but <mark>I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms</mark>. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> > > Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.
> > > .
> >
> > You’re getting atoms confused with molecules. There are several characters in Metal Gear who use special swords that are reinforced with powerful currents that resonate at high frequencies. The molecular bonds of whatever the sword meets WEAKENS, increasing the swords cutting power.
> >
> > The sword doesn’t actually split molecules, let alone atoms. I’m not sure about the scientific merit of this concept so I can’t really comment on whether it makes any sense in the real world, or would exist in the Halo universe.
>
> In other fictional works, they’re often known as monomolecular blades because they’re sharpened to the point where the thickness of the sharpest point is one molecule. Kai Leng and Cerberus Phantoms use them in the Mass Effect series.
>
> Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Halo Universe doesn’t have monomolecular blades yet…

That’s not actually the same thing. The swords in Metal Gear are more like Vibroblades from Star Wars. Their increased cutting power is almost exclusively down to the frequency at which they vibrate. In Metal Gear the quality and sharpness of the blade also plays a role, however, there are no blades which are as thin as the ones you described. This is just a case of several fictional works using the same basic concept in different ways.

Didact’s armour could have been powered down or weakened.

Also, it is a given that ANY weapon that the John-117 wields can cut atoms.

> > > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> > >
> > > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> > >
> > > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
> >
> > I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but <mark>I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms</mark>. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> > Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.
> > .
>
> You’re getting atoms confused with molecules. <mark>There are several characters in Metal Gear</mark> who use special swords that are reinforced with powerful currents that resonate at high frequencies. The molecular bonds of whatever the sword meets WEAKENS, increasing the swords cutting power.
>
> The sword doesn’t actually split molecules, let alone atoms. I’m not sure about the scientific merit of this concept so I can’t really comment on whether it makes any sense in the real world, or would exist in the Halo universe.

Only 3 characters have ever use HF blades and i think 343 needs to make up some space magic for these knifes.

> > > > > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> > > > >
> > > > > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> > > > >
> > > > > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
> > > >
> > > > I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but <mark>I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms</mark>. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> > > > Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.
> > > > .
> > >
> > > You’re getting atoms confused with molecules. There are several characters in Metal Gear who use special swords that are reinforced with powerful currents that resonate at high frequencies. The molecular bonds of whatever the sword meets WEAKENS, increasing the swords cutting power.
> > >
> > > The sword doesn’t actually split molecules, let alone atoms. I’m not sure about the scientific merit of this concept so I can’t really comment on whether it makes any sense in the real world, or would exist in the Halo universe.
> >
> > In other fictional works, they’re often known as monomolecular blades because they’re sharpened to the point where the thickness of the sharpest point is one molecule. Kai Leng and Cerberus Phantoms use them in the Mass Effect series.
> >
> > Anyway, I’m pretty sure the Halo Universe doesn’t have monomolecular blades yet…
>
> That’s not actually the same thing. The swords in Metal Gear are more like Vibroblades from Star Wars. Their increased cutting power is almost exclusively down to the frequency at which they vibrate. In Metal Gear the quality and sharpness of the blade also plays a role, however, there are no blades which are as thin as the ones you described. This is just a case of several fictional works using the same basic concept in different ways.

Yeah, I was referencing the “cutting atoms” thing the OP was on about. I don’t have a clue about the Metal Gear franchise but as soon as I saw someone mentioned vibrating blades I instantly thought of vibroblades.

> > > > If John’s knife could cut atoms, he would be making atomic bombs out of his slashes.
> > > >
> > > > And Guilty Spark’s armour (which is supposedly a class 12 equivalent) could take a single blast from a Spartan laser without showing any visual damage, who most likely has inferior armour compared to the Didact.
> > > >
> > > > Now tell my why it seems reasonable for that knife to cut through his most likely class 18 armour.
> > >
> > > I know what I said sounds absurd but I was referring to other fiction such as Diana’s(wonderwoman NEW 52) sword and im not a fan but <mark>I know someone in the METAL GEAR FRANCHISE has a sword that can cut atoms</mark>. Also I im highly sure the energy sword has this capability I mean didn’t Ripa Moramee insert his entire sword into the FTL drive in halo wars with ease.
> > > Also your statement about the atomic bombs is ridiculous Im sure I don’t need to explain why.
> > > .
> >
> > You’re getting atoms confused with molecules. <mark>There are several characters in Metal Gear</mark> who use special swords that are reinforced with powerful currents that resonate at high frequencies. The molecular bonds of whatever the sword meets WEAKENS, increasing the swords cutting power.
> >
> > The sword doesn’t actually split molecules, let alone atoms. I’m not sure about the scientific merit of this concept so I can’t really comment on whether it makes any sense in the real world, or would exist in the Halo universe.
>
> Only 3 characters have ever use HF blades and i think 343 needs to make up some space magic for these knifes.

There are way more than three. In the Solid part of the series there’s Gray Fox, Olga, Raiden, Solidus and most of the Tengu. In Rising there’s just about everyone with some form of HF blade.

In a similar, Didact-armor related question, how come the Didact, wearing unbelievably powerful armor, is wounded by a single pulse grenade at the end of Halo 4, even though a single grenade would be barely enough to kill someone in Mjolnir armor, a combat skin equivalent of far less?

> In a similar, Didact-armor related question, how come the Didact, wearing unbelievably powerful armor, is wounded by a single pulse grenade at the end of Halo 4, even though a single grenade would be barely enough to kill someone in Mjolnir armor, a combat skin equivalent of far less?

To be fair, we have no idea how a pulse grenade would affect a Mjolnir-clad Spartan outside of gameplay. Canonically, they could be much more lethal.

Also, wasn’t there some kind of opening on the Didact’s armor that Chief stuck the grenade into?