Question about New Armor and Hologram Glitch

Hologram Glitch
I KNOW THEY CANNOT MAKE NEW ARMOR FOR THE GAME. I am talking about the unused helmet attachments and other armor pieces

I know that creating new armor for the game cannot work because the maps don’t have the code for the new armor. BUT these “Unreleased Armors” can be seen in the hologram glitch. which doesn’t necessarily make them new armor and you can look around the internet for more.

What is stopping 343 from putting these in the game?

(New) helmet
(new) Helmet
(New Helmet)

And along that note why not add the red visor?

> Hologram Glitch
> I KNOW THEY CANNOT MAKE NEW ARMOR FOR THE GAME. I am talking about the unused helmet attachments and other armor pieces
>
> I know that creating new armor for the game cannot work because the maps don’t have the code for the new armor. BUT these “Unreleased Armors” can be seen in the hologram glitch. which doesn’t necessarily make them new armor and you can look around the internet for more.
>
> What is stopping 343 from putting these in the game?
>
> (New) helmet
> (new) Helmet
> (New Helmet)
>
> And along that note why not add the red visor?

These aren’t that bad.

Those are not actually new helmets, they are the current helmets with current attachments on them they do not normally have.

ya red and green visor
red-HALOween
green-Christmas

While I don’t think it’s impossible to add brand new armor to the game, if 343 doesn’t do it with Anniversary I’d at least like them to make more attachments for the existing armors, since it seems possible. Here’s my dream armor layout…

-CQB helmet with the UA attachment that Noble 6 wore in the VGA trailer (the one on the Pilot helmet) with the flashlight attachment.
-Tactical/Patrol chest piece (sniper veil) with brown ammo pouches on the chest and waist. The Commando chest -Yoink!- pack on the back.
-A shoulder variant that removes your knife from your chest and places it on your shoulder, like Jun.

Lol Recon helmet looks like a bunny. Wait something in this game is randomly generating armor through this glitch so…wouldn’t that mean something? If these helmets and armor support attachments we can’t get yet…

These armor combination could be possible. I wonder how tough it would be to code new armor combinations. They should bring back the ones that were in the beta…

I have had my fun with the hologram glitch, and a lot of stuff I found was really cool:
Scout with UA
Mark V with Gas Mask

Sometimes you get stuff that looks cool, but doesn’t quite fit:
Mark V with additional bill and EOD Gas Mask

This was my favorite find:
Green Camo Chest with Knife on back
Looks like a badass jungle marine!

> These armor combination could be possible. I wonder how tough it would be to code new armor combinations. They should bring back the ones that were in the beta…

As far as I can speculate, it would only require changes to the Armory menus and to whatever process Bungie uses to provide armor renders on Bungie.net.

I honestly see no harm in doing this. Technically its just the exact same helmets, with exact same attachments. It’s just helmets get attachments that they normally wouldn’t have. If a glitch can do it, I honestly don’t see how adding on into the current armory GUI utilizing the properties of the glitch would be that hard. It’s really all just comes down into whether 343 wants it or not.

Applying new armory additions would be a simple as adding the content to be loaded thru MegaloScript functions. the problem is the API end and the hefty download for them. Those armory models are not cheap in the poly department. i would theorize that each piece of something small like the wrists is probably around 1800 polies, plus or minus a few hundred for LOD’s and Cinematic versions.

As for the API’s, it wouldn’t be a huge mess, just a little downtime on Live, to tweak them to work with the added function calls. The other issue would be the fact that the new armor would not be native in the game resource files. Said armor could possibly be exploited and accessed since we have the current HDD tools to rip the stuff directly off it in a seprate compressed form versus having to properly decompress a map file and then decompress the individual tag into something uselfull.

Extra armor attachments, or at least opening the door to add non-native helmet attachments like the glitch would be a very intersting way to extend the life of the game.

> Applying new armory additions would be a simple as adding the content to be loaded thru MegaloScript functions.

Megalo only controls gametypes. It has absolutely no involvement in how the armor system functions. It isn’t even used outside of the Multiplayer (Forge/Customs/MM) engine.

> Those armory models are not cheap in the poly department.

This thread isn’t about adding new armor, but rather about allowing new combinations of existing pieces. Said combinations are already supported by the game engine; they just aren’t exposed in the GUI.

> i would theorize that each piece of something small like the wrists is probably around 1800 polies, plus or minus a few hundred for LOD’s and Cinematic versions.

Since nothing new is being added, poly-count isn’t an issue. Even so, I doubt it’s 1800 for something like a wrist piece; much of the detail is provided by bump-mapping. Cutscenes use the exact same models as normal gameplay, so they’re a non-issue.

> As for the API’s, it wouldn’t be a huge mess, just a little downtime on Live, to tweak them to work with the added function calls.

Networking modifications wouldn’t be needed, so no, there wouldn’t be any game-wide downtime. The MM servers are a different matter, though, since they’re connected to the armor render system (which would need updates, since apparently, it just ignores armor combinations that are at the time of this writing invalid).

> The other issue would be the fact that the new armor would not be native in the game resource files. Said armor could possibly be exploited and accessed since we have the current HDD tools to rip the stuff directly off it in a seprate compressed form versus having to properly decompress a map file and then decompress the individual tag into something uselfull.

Such “exploits” would be considered modding, and would be ban-worthy. I’m not so sure they would matter.

People still post about new armour, even when it’s been said multiple times it’s never going to happen?

You would have to re download ALL the .map files for campaign and multiplayer (to make the new armour show up in game, and cut scenes etc).

This would be a huge download. It will never happen.

> People still post about new armour, even when it’s been said multiple times it’s never going to happen?
>
> You would have to re download ALL the .map files for campaign and multiplayer (to make the new armour show up in game, and cut scenes etc).
>
> This would be a huge download. It will never happen.

Then you didn’t read the OP. What he’s saying is that using the well-known Hologram Glitch (Google if you’re unfamiliar) he found some armors and armor attachments that players can’t use. Just by playing the campaign you can find armor that’s programmed for a spartan model but is not available in the armory. Pink visors, double flashlights, gas masks for Mark V helmets…it’s all possible because they’re already in the map files.

Wow, people need to realize you can’t just post in a thread just from reading the title.

Holograms use the same models as players. Anything that comes from a hologram could potentially be worn by the player. It seems clear through holograms that every type of attachment can be on any kind of helmet, and there are even some chests that have different pieces like a knife on the back, a single grenade sapper, grenade belts, etc. Attachments on every kind of armor piece are universal, though they don’t always look good.

So even if they added them would they all work in the cut scenes in the campaign?

> So even if they added them would they all work in the cut scenes in the campaign?

I am all but certain that they would, yes.

> I know that creating new armor for the game cannot work because the maps don’t have the code for the new armor.

That’s weak.

Is that really the reason why there can be no new armor? The maps?

Christ…

> That’s weak.
>
> Is that really the reason why there can be no new armor? The maps?
>
> Christ…

More specifically, nearly all game assets are stored as “tags” in the map files, which are non-extensible. (There are no Assault Rifles in Halo. There are Assault Rifles in Halo’s maps.) We’d have to redownload every single map in the game (technically including the main menu itself, which is secretly a map) in order to patch in new armor.

Weak, indeed. There are a number of systems that could have been designed and used to allow new assets to be inserted without editing the map files themselves, but there’s no evidence that Bungie planned or built such a system. Probably didn’t have the time.

in one of the halo fest panels they said that adding in new armor was something they’d be interested in doing, but just didn’t have the time.

These are just glitches people time to move on.

If 343 were to give the existing helmets new attachments, they might as well
just make every attachment available for every helmet that way everyone can pick and choose and customize. This would give a much more personal touch to each persons armor, and i’m pretty sure most the whole community would be behind that idea.