Question about halo activation

I am confused. So the Halos were build by the foerunners right ? in the old pre 343 cannon it made sense that only humans and Ancillas or AI ( since to my knowledge they thought they cant be infected and thus trusted ? )can activate the Halos , since it was heaviliy suggested that the foerunners are humans ( if i remember correctly in the book first contact or conatact haverest humans are even marked by the luminary , and only humans , wich lead the prophets to belive that humans are suriving foerunners sich conflictet with the core of their belive. ). Now whats the Reason in new lore that only humans and AI can activate the Halos and in wich context now is it meanst that the humans are “Reclaimers”.

> 2533274870910149;1:
> I am confused. So the Halos were build by the foerunners right ? in the old pre 343 cannon it made sense that only humans and Ancillas or AI ( since to my knowledge they thought they cant be infected and thus trusted ? )can activate the Halos , since it was heaviliy suggested that the foerunners are humans ( if i remember correctly in the book first contact or conatact haverest humans are even marked by the luminary , and only humans , wich lead the prophets to belive that humans are suriving foerunners sich conflictet with the core of their belive. ). Now whats the Reason in new lore that only humans and AI can activate the Halos and in wich context now is it meanst that the humans are “Reclaimers”.

At the very end of the Forerunner Civilization, they realized their time had passed, so they designated humanity to be their successors, and updated their technology/AI to recognize humans as Reclaimers to be given access to the technology. AI aren’t supposed to be able to activate Halos, because the Flood uses the Logic Plague to bend them to its will, and the Forerunners don’t want the Flood to be able to weaponize Halos against them the way it did when it destroyed their Capital, Maethrillian. Other races can’t activate Forerunner technology without effectively hacking it because the Forerunners viewed them as lesser beings, unworthy of the Forerunner technology.

You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.

So a Halo ring can be activated either by a Forerunner/Reclaimer (I’ll call them FR for simplicity) inserting the corresponding Index into the control panel of its Control Room, or by a FR directly using the control panel in the Ark’s Control Room. A Halo’s Index is locked away in its Library and can only be retrieved by an FR, but will be possesed by the Monitor right after retrieval for safe transport, then returned to the FR once in the Control Room for final activation. Here’s the caveat: Monitors cannot insert the Index into the panel by themselves simply because they were programmed from doing so. In H1 Cortana was able to reside in the Control Room just fine and later intervened the activation sequence and took the Index for her own. In H3 Chief didn’t directly activate Halo, instead he just let Cortana (carrying the Index) enter the panel and it was she who did the final job. This implies that AIs without a Monitor’s built-in restrictions can indeed activate Halos if they have the Index. However in H2 Tartarus forced Miranda to do the job even though he was carrying the Index. Does this mean non-FRs cannot activate Halos, or was Tartarus simply following the Prophets’ instructions without even trying himself? We don’t know.

I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.

> 2535472130922237;3:
> You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
>
> So a Halo ring can be activated either by a Forerunner/Reclaimer (I’ll call them FR for simplicity) inserting the corresponding Index into the control panel of its Control Room, or by a FR directly using the control panel in the Ark’s Control Room. A Halo’s Index is locked away in its Library and can only be retrieved by an FR, but will be possesed by the Monitor right after retrieval for safe transport, then returned to the FR once in the Control Room for final activation. Here’s the caveat: Monitors cannot insert the Index into the panel by themselves simply because they were programmed from doing so. In H1 Cortana was able to reside in the Control Room just fine and later intervened the activation sequence and took the Index for her own. In H3 Chief didn’t directly activate Halo, instead he just let Cortana (carrying the Index) enter the panel and it was she who did the final job. This implies that AIs without a Monitor’s built-in restrictions can indeed activate Halos if they have the Index. However in H2 Tartarus forced Miranda to do the job even though he was carrying the Index. Does this mean non-FRs cannot activate Halos, or was Tartarus simply following the Prophets’ instructions without even trying himself? We don’t know.
>
> I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.

Dont forget that Truth used Johnson’s hand to activate the Ark in Halo 3, despite the fact that he was there himself.
Also in Halo Wars we see that the Shield World wouldnt activate for Regret, only Anders.

> 2533274907200114;4:
> > 2535472130922237;3:
> > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> >
> > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
>
> Dont forget that Truth used Johnson’s hand to activate the Ark in Halo 3, despite the fact that he was there himself.
> Also in Halo Wars we see that the Shield World wouldnt activate for Regret, only Anders.

Yeah, but they don’t plug the plotholes. The Ark doesn’t require a “key” like the Index, but just needs an FR to press against the panel. Shield Worlds of course don’t activate Halos, so again no Index, just the touch of an FR.

AIs can carry the Index and activate Halos. Non-FRs like Tartarus can physically hold an Index, despite unable to retrieve it from the Library’s safety. But can non-FRs forcefully insert the Index into the Control Room’s panel with their own hands? Moreover, is that the only way to fire a Halo, since Cortana turned the Index into a digital thing and in Halo 3 wirelessly leap from her chip into the panel?

And as we have seen in multiple games and books and comics, the Covenant were able to get inside Forerunner structures and even use some Forerunner infrastructures just fine (without blasting or a human prisoner), which counterpoints the settings that Foreunner things only respond to Reclaimers.

Halo is very casual in world-building so I don’t take the details too seriously either. It wasn’t meant to be hardcore sci-fi anyway.

> 2535472130922237;3:
> You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
>
> So a Halo ring can be activated either by a Forerunner/Reclaimer (I’ll call them FR for simplicity) inserting the corresponding Index into the control panel of its Control Room, or by a FR directly using the control panel in the Ark’s Control Room. A Halo’s Index is locked away in its Library and can only be retrieved by an FR, but will be possesed by the Monitor right after retrieval for safe transport, then returned to the FR once in the Control Room for final activation. Here’s the caveat: Monitors cannot insert the Index into the panel by themselves simply because they were programmed from doing so. In H1 Cortana was able to reside in the Control Room just fine and later intervened the activation sequence and took the Index for her own. In H3 Chief didn’t directly activate Halo, instead he just let Cortana (carrying the Index) enter the panel and it was she who did the final job. This implies that AIs without a Monitor’s built-in restrictions can indeed activate Halos if they have the Index. However in H2 Tartarus forced Miranda to do the job even though he was carrying the Index. Does this mean non-FRs cannot activate Halos, or was Tartarus simply following the Prophets’ instructions without even trying himself? We don’t know.
>
> I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.

Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.

> 2533274883501878;6:
> > 2535472130922237;3:
> > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> >
> > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
>
> Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.

But is she is still an AI, and merely humanity’s best at that, so her ableness to activiate Halo invalidates both the claim that Halos can only be activated by Forerunners/Reclaimers and the reason behind this design: to prevent turned AI constructs from firing Halos at the Flood’s will. If she can do it, then a Monitor who’s relieved of Forerunner restriction protocols by the Flood’s logic plague can certainly do the same.

The core idea (whether in Bungie’s era or 343i’s) is that humans share a unique bond with the Forerunners that no other species do. How exactly is this bond portraited varies in different media, and debating over the details is sort of fruitless, as the presentations are undoubtly conflicting.

> 2535472130922237;7:
> > 2533274883501878;6:
> > > 2535472130922237;3:
> > > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> > >
> > > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
> >
> > Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.
>
> But is she is still an AI, and merely humanity’s best at that, so her ableness to activiate Halo invalidates both the claim that Halos can only be activated by Forerunners/Reclaimers and the reason behind this design: to prevent turned AI constructs from firing Halos at the Flood’s will. If she can do it, then a Monitor who’s relieved of Forerunner restriction protocols by the Flood’s logic plague can certainly do the same.
>
> The core idea (whether in Bungie’s era or 343i’s) is that humans share a unique bond with the Forerunners that no other species do. How exactly is this bond portraited varies in different media, and debating over the details is sort of fruitless, as the presentations are undoubtly conflicting.

“Merely” drastically undersells Cortana’s abilities. She is one of the most advanced and capable AI in the galaxy, and she’s outwitted significant protective Forerunner AI like the Warden Eternal with ease. The Halos weren’t designed to be fireable by AI, but Cortana figured out how to do it. Your assertion that her ability proves that Monitors could do it, is simply not backed by the lore. If Guilty Spark could have put the Activation index in the Halo to fire it, he would have, which we can reasonably conclude because he attempted to have Master Chief killed after the Chief didn’t end up firing the Halo, a gross violation of the programming to assist the Reclaimers that Guilty Spark had.

“Undoubtedly conflicting”? Forerunners and humans are descended from the same (human) species that split into two more than ten-million years before the firing of the Halos, when one faction drastically altered their genetics, and the other didn’t, and by the time the two factions later re-learned about the other, they didn’t even recognize them as the same species. Some Forerunners pieced it together, and we as the consumer git more info than any of those Forerunners with which to make our conclusions. I’m not aware of any canonical lore grossly conflicting with this.

> 2533274883501878;8:
> > 2535472130922237;7:
> > > 2533274883501878;6:
> > > > 2535472130922237;3:
> > > > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> > > >
> > > > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
> > >
> > > Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.
> >
> > But is she is still an AI, and merely humanity’s best at that, so her ableness to activiate Halo invalidates both the claim that Halos can only be activated by Forerunners/Reclaimers and the reason behind this design: to prevent turned AI constructs from firing Halos at the Flood’s will. If she can do it, then a Monitor who’s relieved of Forerunner restriction protocols by the Flood’s logic plague can certainly do the same.
> >
> > The core idea (whether in Bungie’s era or 343i’s) is that humans share a unique bond with the Forerunners that no other species do. How exactly is this bond portraited varies in different media, and debating over the details is sort of fruitless, as the presentations are undoubtly conflicting.
>
> “Merely” drastically undersells Cortana’s abilities.
>
> “Undoubtedly conflicting”?

You missed both OP’s point and mine. OP was confused with who can activate Halos and the relationship between humans and Forerunners. My stance was to just chill and know humans are uniquely connected with Forerunners and not take Halo’s lore too seriously, following up with a few examples showing just how inconsistent the frachise already is.

I disagree with your opinion about Cortana’s abilities, but that is not the topic nor relevant to this thread. She was clearly not powerful enough to withstand Gravemind and would have broken down had Chief not saved her in time. Since she both possessed the Index back then and was able to activate the ring, her defeat would result in a Flood-controlled Halo. This alternative scenario reflects multiple lore discrepancies, including but not limited to:

  • Are Indexes physical keys or not and does that matter? - Are AIs (already wielding an Index) capable of firing Halos by Halo’s designs or not? If yes, then the only essential role of Reclaimer is to retrieve the Index, which directly conflicts H1’s story and means that a Flood can potentially control a ring via a plagued AI, also invalidating the anti-logic-plague philosophy. But if no, then where is it described that Cortana managed to find a bypass that does not involve a Reclaimer? Such a significant event and not a mention? - If Cortana can be transfered wirelessly then why is she dependent on her AI chip? - Actually Chief never should have had her chip to start with, unless her empty chip was bizzarely pre-inserted into his Mark VI helmet before he suited up. Cortana was in Cairo’s system at that time, then Chief retrieved her wirelessly to deactivate the bomb, and never returned to Cairo again.As for “undoubtedly conflicting”, maybe I wasn’t clarifying enough. The “unique bond” I was talking about is human’s unique ability to interact with Forerunner creations, a trait no one else should have. However Covenant species obviously can correctly activate “non-essential” things like gates, light bridges, elevators, gondolas, energy shields etc. just fine, and even harness Forerunner technology to a minor extent, which is conflicting. Yeah I know that’s because of storytelling and gameplay, just like how only the “key” Forerunner infrastructures are exclusively reserved for humans, but they are conflicts nonetheless.

> 2535472130922237;9:
> > 2533274883501878;8:
> > > 2535472130922237;7:
> > > > 2533274883501878;6:
> > > > > 2535472130922237;3:
> > > > > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> > > > >
> > > > > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
> > > >
> > > > Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.
> >
> > “Merely” drastically undersells Cortana’s abilities.
> >
> > “Undoubtedly conflicting”?
>
> You missed both OP’s point and mine. OP was confused with who can activate Halos and the relationship between humans and Forerunners. My stance was to just chill and know humans are uniquely connected with Forerunners and not take Halo’s lore too seriously, following up with a few examples showing just how inconsistent the frachise already is.
>
> I disagree with your opinion about Cortana’s abilities, but that is not the topic nor relevant to this thread. She was clearly not powerful enough to withstand Gravemind and would have broken down had Chief not saved her in time. Since she both possessed the Index back then and was able to activate the ring, her defeat would result in a Flood-controlled Halo. This alternative scenario reflects multiple lore discrepancies, including but not limited to:
> - Are Indexes physical keys or not and does that matter? - Are AIs (already wielding an Index) capable of firing Halos by Halo’s designs or not? If yes, then the only essential role of Reclaimer is to retrieve the Index, which directly conflicts H1’s story and means that a Flood can potentially control a ring via a plagued AI, also invalidating the anti-logic-plague philosophy. But if no, then where is it described that Cortana managed to find a bypass that does not involve a Reclaimer? Such a significant event and not a mention? - If Cortana can be transfered wirelessly then why is she dependent on her AI chip? - Actually Chief never should have had her chip to start with, unless her empty chip was bizzarely pre-inserted into his Mark VI helmet before he suited up. Cortana was in Cairo’s system at that time, then Chief retrieved her wirelessly to deactivate the bomb, and never returned to Cairo again.As for “undoubtedly conflicting”, maybe I wasn’t clarifying enough. The “unique bond” I was talking about is human’s unique ability to interact with Forerunner creations, a trait no one else should have. However Covenant species obviously can correctly activate “non-essential” things like gates, light bridges, elevators, gondolas, energy shields etc. just fine, and even harness Forerunner technology to a minor extent, which is conflicting. Yeah I know that’s because of storytelling and gameplay, just like how only the “key” Forerunner infrastructures are exclusively reserved for humans, but they are conflicts nonetheless.

Turning this around, you seem to have missed my point.
Feel free to take the lore as seriously (or not) as you like, but if you do take it seriously, and you’re willing to read closely you’ll find that most of the “contradictions” actually aren’t, because there’s more nuance to the story than the surface-level story of the games would suggest.

Cortana not withstanding the Gravemind isn’t a mark against her, because the Gravemind is an avatar of a literal god, utilized to manipulate mortals and galactic events to the Precursors’ desired outcome. Nothing withstands it. The Flood literally even copied its mind onto the Didact’s over the course of a single conversation, and Bornstellar even got a glimpse of it, after his mutation. The Flood sometimes chooses to not infect, or to not change its subjects behavior in an overt way, but it is never the less manipulating them.

> Are Indexes physical keys or not and does that matter?

That’s a question, not a discrepancy. There is a physical index, which is like a flash drive, in that the key is the information on it, so when Cortana keeps the Index, she kept the information off of it which she acquired after Master Chief put the physical index into the computer Cortana was residing in.

> Are AIs (already wielding an Index) capable of firing Halos by Halo’s designs or not? If yes, then the only essential role of Reclaimer is to retrieve the Index, which directly conflicts H1’s story and means that a Flood can potentially control a ring via a plagued AI, also invalidating the anti-logic-plague philosophy. But if no, then where is it described that Cortana managed to find a bypass that does not involve a Reclaimer? Such a significant event and not a mention?

The Halos’ firing mechanisms are designed to not be firable by AI, so any AI lacking the ability to bypass those safeguards cannot fire a Halo. Cortana is the galaxy’s best infiltration AI, and she showed that she was able to bypass those safeguards. Lest your forget, UNSC Smart AI are created with kill-codes as safeguards in case they go crazy, and Cortana actually removed that kill-code from her own program, and when she dismantled a Covenant AI, she picked a line of code she liked and incorporated it into her own program. Cortana being able to manipulate programs to accomplish something doesn’t mean it’s standard for other AI to be able to do the same.

> If Cortana can be transfered wirelessly then why is she dependent on her AI chip?

There are a lot of potential answers. Not all computers are capable of sending or receiving wireless transfers. The parts of Master Chief’s suit that allowed him to wirelessly transfer Cortana in and out of it may have been damaged. Her files containing everything she’s learned may have gotten too big to wirelessly transfer. It’s not a plot hole, just a question that hasn’t been answered yet.

> Actually Chief never should have had her chip to start with, unless her empty chip was bizzarely pre-inserted into his Mark VI helmet before he suited up. Cortana was in Cairo’s system at that time, then Chief retrieved her wirelessly to deactivate the bomb, and never returned to Cairo again.

Believe it or not, there are time gaps between most of the levels in the Halo games, so we don’t see everything Chief touches. There’s plenty of opportunity for Master Chief to have a chip to put Cortana in.

> As for “undoubtedly conflicting”, maybe I wasn’t clarifying enough. The “unique bond” I was talking about is human’s unique ability to interact with Forerunner creations, a trait no one else should have. However Covenant species obviously can correctly activate “non-essential” things like gates, light bridges, elevators, gondolas, energy shields etc. just fine, and even harness Forerunner technology to a minor extent, which is conflicting. Yeah I know that’s because of storytelling and gameplay, just like how only the “key” Forerunner infrastructures are exclusively reserved for humans, but they are conflicts nonetheless.

You may have your phone, or even your car door coded to your finger print, but I’d wager you don’t have that same security on your toilet or your garden shed. Stricter security is put where it’s needed, and there’s no reason for the Forerunners to put that same security where they don’t expect it to ever be needed. There’s no story problems relating to the point you mentioned.

> 2533274883501878;10:
> > 2535472130922237;9:
> > > 2533274883501878;8:
> > > > 2535472130922237;7:
> > > > > 2533274883501878;6:
> > > > > > 2535472130922237;3:
> > > > > > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
> > > > >
> > > > > Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.
> > >
> > > “Undoubtedly conflicting”?
> >
> > You missed both OP’s point and mine.
>
> Turning this around, you seem to have missed my point.
> Feel free to take the lore as seriously (or not) as you like, but if you do take it seriously, and you’re willing to read closely you’ll find that most of the “contradictions” actually aren’t, because there’s more nuance to the story than the surface-level story of the games would suggest.

I consider Halo’s lore “loose” not because it lacks detail nor I dislike comprehensive fiction, but because I thinks it’s getting overly complex. The franchise started casually (root of plotholes), then grew into a culture icon hit over time, which sort of shaped it more and more serious (filling fundamentally difficult-to-fill gaps). Now there is such an extrodinary amount of detailed material that if you do read closely and take their words at face value, you surely will find an explanation for almost everything. Problem is, I find lots of the explanations unconvincing, sometimes illogical. Halo is fiction after all, and an ever-evolving game at that, I don’t think they need to give a canon reason for every change/adjustment/introduction that are actually driven by real-world management decisions and technologic hurdles, but that’s what they seem to be pushing for, and the quality of such “patching” is sometimes good sometimes meh. When it’s the latter case, an explanation raises more questions than it answers. This is only my opinion, though.

Going back to OP’s original question, Halos are meant to be fired by humans or Forerunners only, AIs can’t. At least in earlier media like Primordium, the short story is both humans and Forerunners were created by the Precursors. Precursors chose humans to inherit the Mantle, Forerunners disagreed and successfully rebelled. Long past the Precursor-Forerunner war, humans came in contact with the Flood. As Human-Flood warfare proceeded, a Human-Forerunner war broke out as a side effect. The Flood retreated from humans, but humans were defeated by Forerunners and got devolved aspunishment. The Flood returned for the Forerunners, and as the situation worsened, Forerunners built Halos, Shield Worlds etc. and designated humans as their rightful successors. Silentium says a group of Forerunners were exiled to a remote planet after the Precursor war, evolved differently, and was finally wiped out by Omega Halo. However, as lots of recent posts I’ve read all point out that Forerunners and humans diverged from the same ancestoral species as a result of two groups choosing different evolution paths, so either my memory is wrong or I simply haven’t catched up with the most recent lore yet. OP probably should settle for the latest shared-ancestors explanation.

As for your replies, I gave the examples to show that Halo has lots of conflicts, not to discuss the examples themselves. But since we’re since done with OP’s confusion, let’s go off topic and get deeper.

  • Assuming Cortana’s firing of Halo in H3 was a purposely designed detail, not for the sake of screenplay, then her bypass proves such workarounds for AIs do exist. Her abilities are not the problem; the existence of the possibility is. That implies a plagued AI can also do the job. If it’s not powerful enough to find a bypass on its own, it almost certainly can with Gravemind’s help. GIven the significance of Halos, it’s hard to think that the Forerunners would have unnoticed such a vulnerability. You can explain they really did but that’s still unconvincing. On the other hand if that scene was just for cinematic effect and not a deliberate detail, then it shows Halo’s casual roots. Which is perfectly fine. I just find managing an inherently casual franchise as a serious one quite silly. - None of Halo 2/3’s time gaps can explain the chip problem without looking out of place. So H2 starts with Chief trying on his Mark VI. Cortana certainly was not present during the test given how she greeted Johnson and Chief later. It’s also makes no sense if her empty chip was pre-inserted into the Helmet: no sense for armor-testing, no sense for the chip to be dangling away even though she was in Cairo’s systems. Thus the logical assumption is both she and her chip were both in Cairo’s computers. The bomb scene proves Chief didn’t get her chip following the “I need a weapon” scene or else no need for the transfer. Did he pull the chip from the bomb room terminal right after deactivation? Weird for her chip to be plugged there, not Cairo’s command deck, and human chips surely don’t magically hop around. Did he go back to deck for her chip then return to deliver the bomb? Possible but illogical as there was no time to lose plus he already has Cortana in his armor. Did Miranda’s ship briefly return to Cairo or Cairo send a transport to Miranda for the empty chip while Chief was fighting in Mombasa? This is best explanation so far but still quite odd. And there are absolutely no more chances after Miranda passed through that slipspace portal. - Leveled security makes sense for general facilities, but Halos are the very last resort weapons against a non-forgiving enemy. Make super strict procedures but then leave the doors open? Don’t forget Truth turned on the Cidatel’s shield and Arbiter turned down one panel (meaning they certainly can turn down the other 2 if not for the tactic). Not even the Cidatel is high-level enough? Again, this confliction with “only humans can fully unlock Forerunner constructs” (a canon principle) is directly demonstrated in material also considered canon. While it’s true that the “final steps” are still human-exclusive, it nevertheless undermines that philosophy.

> 2535472130922237;11:
> > 2533274883501878;10:
> > > 2535472130922237;9:
> > > > 2533274883501878;8:
> > > > > 2535472130922237;7:
> > > > > > 2533274883501878;6:
> > > > > > > 2535472130922237;3:
> > > > > > > You might not want to be too serious with these details, because Bungie took a lot of creative liberty back in the days and 343i arguably created even more problems while trying to mend those old holes.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > I say we just enjoy the games for their own sakes. There are so many inconsistencies in the Halo universe that its a lost cause trying to sort them out.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Keep in mind that Cortana is an infiltration AI, the culmination of the Librarian’s plans, and the most advanced AI humanity ever created, which is why she is able to accomplish much that most AI aren’t able to.
> > > >
> > > > “Undoubtedly conflicting”?
>
> As for your replies, I gave the examples to show that Halo has lots of conflicts, not to discuss the examples themselves. But since we’re since done with OP’s confusion, let’s go off topic and get deeper.
> - Assuming Cortana’s firing of Halo in H3 was a purposely designed detail, not for the sake of screenplay, then her bypass proves such workarounds for AIs do exist. Her abilities are not the problem; the existence of the possibility is. That implies a plagued AI can also do the job. If it’s not powerful enough to find a bypass on its own, it almost certainly can with Gravemind’s help. GIven the significance of Halos, it’s hard to think that the Forerunners would have unnoticed such a vulnerability. You can explain they really did but that’s still unconvincing. On the other hand if that scene was just for cinematic effect and not a deliberate detail, then it shows Halo’s casual roots. Which is perfectly fine. I just find managing an inherently casual franchise as a serious one quite silly. - None of Halo 2/3’s time gaps can explain the chip problem without looking out of place. So H2 starts with Chief trying on his Mark VI. Cortana certainly was not present during the test given how she greeted Johnson and Chief later. It’s also makes no sense if her empty chip was pre-inserted into the Helmet: no sense for armor-testing, no sense for the chip to be dangling away even though she was in Cairo’s systems. Thus the logical assumption is both she and her chip were both in Cairo’s computers. The bomb scene proves Chief didn’t get her chip following the “I need a weapon” scene or else no need for the transfer. Did he pull the chip from the bomb room terminal right after deactivation? Weird for her chip to be plugged there, not Cairo’s command deck, and human chips surely don’t magically hop around. Did he go back to deck for her chip then return to deliver the bomb? Possible but illogical as there was no time to lose plus he already has Cortana in his armor. Did Miranda’s ship briefly return to Cairo or Cairo send a transport to Miranda for the empty chip while Chief was fighting in Mombasa? This is best explanation so far but still quite odd. And there are absolutely no more chances after Miranda passed through that slipspace portal. - Leveled security makes sense for general facilities, but Halos are the very last resort weapons against a non-forgiving enemy. Make super strict procedures but then leave the doors open? Don’t forget Truth turned on the Cidatel’s shield and Arbiter turned down one panel (meaning they certainly can turn down the other 2 if not for the tactic). Not even the Cidatel is high-level enough? Again, this confliction with “only humans can fully unlock Forerunner constructs” (a canon principle) is directly demonstrated in material also considered canon. While it’s true that the “final steps” are still human-exclusive, it nevertheless undermines that philosophy.

“Her abilities are not the problem; the existence of the possibility is”
No defense ever designed is fullproof, as such is the nature of fallible beings is that we cannot create something infallible. The Forerunners had exceedingly good security on the Halos, and it took Cortana (whom the Librarian said was part of her plan after a thousand lifetimes of planning) to crack it.
There’s also the issue that the Flood doesn’t actually have the limitations it feigns having. The Forerunners didn’t realize the Flood’s true potential until it unleashed it upon the Greater Ark. With how long the Flood dawdled instead of attacking full force, it’s no surprise that the Forerunners didn’t know what the extent of its abilities were. Keep in mind, the first set of Halos were designed and built before they knew the Flood could turn their best AI against them (which they only found out when the Primordial turned Mendicant Bias to its side on Zeta Halo)

“It’s also makes no sense if her empty chip was pre-inserted into the Helmet”
Cortana doesn’t stay in one specific chip. And why wouldn’t the suit come with a chip? It could very well have functions beyond storing an AI. Master Chief took a non-AI chip out of a Marine’s helmet in Halo CE and inserted it into his own to watch the recording of the Marine’s last moments. This really isn’t a lore problem.

“Not even the Cidatel is high-level enough? Again, this confliction with “only humans can fully unlock Forerunner constructs” (a canon principle) is directly demonstrated in material also considered canon. While it’s true that the “final steps” are still human-exclusive, it nevertheless undermines that philosophy.”
If you were in a bunker from which nukes can be launched, the highest levels of protection would be on the means of launching the nukes, and on the doors to get into the bunker. They don’t put a finger-print scanner on every single key of the keyboard. The Forerunners put the higher levels of security where they believed they’d be the most effective, and between their own fallibility and 100,000 years of decay on the facilities, the Covenant was able to get into places where the Forerunners wouldn’t have wanted them. I still believe you’re putting far too much weight on these points where you’re blaming the writing, when it is just as easily explained as arrogance and fallibility of the characters in the story.

i just want to add 2 things…

  1. little details like the chip thing on cario isnt really important. chiefs armor can acomedate an ai and he has probebly already a chip inserted or something, he downloaded cortana as he disabled the bomb.
  2. cortana did get acces to halos controll room in halo ce. didnt 343 said something along the lines of " an ai in the core , unacceptable ! " that shows that at least the foreunners tried to prevent ai acces to that

> 2533274870910149;13:
> i just want to add 2 things…
> 1. little details like the chip thing on cario isnt really important. chiefs armor can acomedate an ai and he has probebly already a chip inserted or something, he downloaded cortana as he disabled the bomb.
> 2. cortana did get acces to halos controll room in halo ce. didnt 343 said something along the lines of " an ai in the core , unacceptable ! " that shows that at least the foreunners tried to prevent ai acces to that

The reality is this: Halos (and Forerunner facilities in general) can be activated (either by desgin or by intrusion) by whoever Bungie/343i picks. The same applies to the entire Halo universe. Bungie always pursued fun and coolness above else. 343i on the other hand tends to slap a canon explanation on everything they make. And being a game franchise, UX design, cinematic presentation and computer technology will always affect the visual and audio parts of the lore. You just want to be “casual”? Then ignore all these detail problems and simply enjoy the media as they are. You want to be “serious”? Then take whatever 343i says but try not to imply or speculate too far beyond as you will run into confusing inconsistencies or something that might be revisioned later.

So, I haven’t read everything on this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed/debunked, but I’ve just had a thought, perhaps Cortana could activate the Halo, because she was flash-cloned from Halsey’s brain. I dunno if that makes sense, but perhaps exactly what requirements a Halo ring has to determine if the individual trying to access the system is a Forerunner or Reclaimer? Perhaps the fact that Cortana is based on Halsey’s brain is enough?

I know that Guilty Spark originated from Chakas, but perhaps the way the Forerunners turned his remains into a monitor specifically programmed Guilty Spark so that it would be against protocol to trigger tech with a “forerunner/human sensor”, if you will, or the way they did it makes it so that the system doesn’t pick up the fact that he was human at one point.

Anyway, I’m not too good in these lore discussions, so I’ll just leave my thoughts at that, and I probably shouldn’t dive too deep in, or else I’ll be way out of my depth.

> 2533274814585467;15:
> So, I haven’t read everything on this thread, so forgive me if this has already been addressed/debunked, but I’ve just had a thought, perhaps Cortana could activate the Halo, because she was flash-cloned from Halsey’s brain. I dunno if that makes sense, but perhaps exactly what requirements a Halo ring has to determine if the individual trying to access the system is a Forerunner or Reclaimer? Perhaps the fact that Cortana is based on Halsey’s brain is enough?
>
> I know that Guilty Spark originated from Chakas, but perhaps the way the Forerunners turned his remains into a monitor specifically programmed Guilty Spark so that it would be against protocol to trigger tech with a “forerunner/human sensor”, if you will, or the way they did it makes it so that the system doesn’t pick up the fact that he was human at one point.
>
> Anyway, I’m not too good in these lore discussions, so I’ll just leave my thoughts at that, and I probably shouldn’t dive too deep in, or else I’ll be way out of my depth.

That’s a fair point. When Guilty said “an AI in the core… unacceptable!” it was probably because it was against protocol… not impossible. We don’t have enough proof that Smart AI’s or Forerunner Ancillas (from composed Forerunners/Humans) cannot activate things. Guilty Spark can interact with every other part of the Halo. It could just be his programming that stops him from firing them. If he’d gone mad enough, he might have been able to cross that line. He ejected the surface into atmosphere out of boredom. Pretty sure that’s against protocol.