Question about Armor Coatings

This is a question that no amount of googling or researching that has resulted in a definitive answer. So I just wanted to post about it. So I understand that armor coatings are the new customization method, and that it is what will ultimately define the appearance of not only the armor of a player, but their weapons and vehicles as well. I’m fully aware of different promotions as well for different companies like Gamestop with their preorder purchases for the ‘Red Shift’, or Monster with the assault rifle skin. I don’t know exactly how the coatings are applied though in game. It could be like in Destiny 1 where when you unlock an armor shader, its yours for life, or if its like its sequel where everything is consumed when applied to the armor or weapon in question.

So this is ultimately the question: Does 343 intend to go with single use consumable coatings, or are they permanent unlocks

While they haven’t been confirmed to be permanent unlocks, I have a feeling they will be. Unless 343i is planning on being really scummy

> 2535452387883664;2:
> While they haven’t been confirmed to be permanent unlocks, I have a feeling they will be. Unless 343i is planning on being really scummy

We can only hope that that they will. It will be quite the silver lining.

Oh my God that’s how it works in D2? I thought it was bad in D1. What a scary thought you’ve put in to my head, thanks.

No way of knowing yet. I’d like to assume that they’ll at least be permanent unlocks, but since 343i is already abandoning the freedom of allowing true freedom of player expression by ditching the uninhibited Primary/Secondary selection, who knows?

Fact is, they’ve been very reluctant to detail this system further than they currently have. In the Community Update where Uny “unveiled,” the Monarch Coating, there were zero details on what Coatings, precisely, were. In the intervening time between that update and the next, fans speculated that they were going to replace Primary/Secondary in Infinite. 343i confirmed we were right in that next update, using hedging language like crazy to try to preempt people’s concerns about it. Ultimately, Uny said (I’m paraphrasing here) it was impossible to really get a feel for the Coatings system without actually seeing it in action. That’s the last we’ve heard; truthfully, it kind of feels like 343i is willfully withholding more info until the community has had time to “cool off,” and accept the basic system.

Given that they’ve already adopted the MTX cosmetics model and are willing to take the heat of bad vibes from series fans about it, going single-use just maximizes MTX revenue at the expense of a bit more lambasting from the fans they’ve already disappointed. I’d like to say I can’t see them doing this, but I’m honestly just kind of expecting the worst at this point.

Here’s hoping more light is shone on Coatings soon that can legitimately address a lot of the community’s concerns over them. In the mean time, my advice is to stay vocal about what we don’t like about this system (as we know it, maintaining a constructive and non-toxic attitude) and not to expect that more info will necessarily make things better.

> 2533275031939856;4:
> Oh my God that’s how it works in D2? I thought it was bad in D1. What a scary thought you’ve put in to my head, thanks.

Sounds like it and this is one of the reasons why I don’t trust Bungie anymore. I’m baffled why 343i choose to force this in a game that is supposed to be a 10 year game. I feel like this is going to cause a backlash while possibly hurting it’s long term population.

> 2533274823412826;1:
> This is a question that no amount of googling or researching that has resulted in a definitive answer. So I just wanted to post about it. So I understand that armor coatings are the new customization method, and that it is what will ultimately define the appearance of not only the armor of a player, but their weapons and vehicles as well. I’m fully aware of different promotions as well for different companies like Gamestop with their preorder purchases for the ‘Red Shift’, or Monster with the assault rifle skin. I don’t know exactly how the coatings are applied though in game. It could be like in Destiny 1 where when you unlock an armor shader, its yours for life, or if its like its sequel where everything is consumed when applied to the armor or weapon in question.
>
> So this is ultimately the question: Does 343 intend to go with single use consumable coatings, or are they permanent unlocks

Seeing as they are not in any way changing the stats for weapons, players, or vehicles I assume these are not going to be consumable coatings. This along with the fact that these are preset coatings for specific weapons I don’t see a reason for them to be consumable. The consumable part of the promotional DLC is the fact that we have to be good little consumers and buy Halo products.

I should also say, 343i has yet to outright say that this is the only form of customization for multiplayer. I still think they will include basic color customizations for armor.

I would be absolutely floored if they go for a consumable system, especially given all the backlash they already endured from the mere announcement of armor coatings. So no, I don’t think they would undo permanent unlocks in the near future.

I’m sure that they wouldn’t do that, but I don’t wish to be completely surprised if they do. I’m keeping myself open to the possibility. Its one of the few deciding factors if I want to get an XBSX because I loved Halo since the beginning, read so many books and even collected several halo ship models over the years. H5G really shook my faith in the series, but I still want this game to end on a good note.

So let me get this straight…in d2 if you choose an armor shader and decide to change to another you lose your original? That reeks of hot garbage…though H5 did this with weapons/vehicles/armor abilities…would it really be a stretch to extend that reach to skins now as well?

how do you get that first shader back in destiny?

We don’t need another thrad on this