QTE Suggestion

Here’s how I think the quick-time events should be done:

If you win a QTE, than you get rewarded a bunch of experience and a medal.

If you lose a QTE, than, instead of dying, the scene plays out normally, but you simply don’t recieve any rewards for it.

I just don’t want to be in the middle of an epic cutscene and have the moment ruined because I was drinking some water or something. Can you imagine if, say, the cutscene at the end of Halo 3 had QTEs? And if you missed them, the Arbiter would get smashed by a tank, and Chief would fly out the hangar?

The solution in my opinion is to reward people for succeeding, but don’t punish them if they don’t.

would you mind explaining what you mean by quick time events? It sounds to me that you are talking about cutscenes.

Are actual quick time events even confirmed?

> would you mind explaining what you mean by quick time events? It sounds to me that you are talking about cutscenes.

Quick time events are when you have to either press buttons as they appear on screen, or smash a button repeatedly for whatever reason. I believe games like God of War have them alot during boss-fights.

They’re… not very popular within the video game crowd.

> Are actual quick time events even confirmed?

The magazine article way back mentioned that there were some, I’m fairly certain.

Did you ever play Heavenly Sword on PS3? the game was full of them. In the middle of a fight a button prompt pops up, and you have to press “x” for example, to do some badass killer move, and if you missed you usually died.

OP I agree, i think qte’s ruin the flow of a game, and are a crutch dev’s use when the can’t think of anything better. I think if you hit the qte, you get to see chief do something unbelievably awesome. Something that really gives you the feel of being the biggest badass in the universe like 343 says they’re trying to give you. But if you miss, he just does something that’s a normal degree of awesome instead.

On a scale of one to “HOLY CRAP THAT WAS COOL!!1!!1one” missing would give you a 5, hitting would give you a 23.57862.

> > would you mind explaining what you mean by quick time events? It sounds to me that you are talking about cutscenes.
>
> Quick time events are when you have to either press buttons as they appear on screen, or smash a button repeatedly for whatever reason. I believe games like God of War have them alot during boss-fights.
>
> They’re… not very popular within the video game crowd.

Ah, I understand. I just didn’t know the real name for it.

Anyways, do you really think that we would have one in halo 4? There’s never been any in the past halo games. It might be possible with the new first person actions chief is going to be performing, but I doubt it.

However if they ARE in the game, then I would agree on a cutscene pause or a nuetral turnout. It would be annoying to accidentally miss the buttons and having to restart from the last checkpoint to get there( and many times it seems the last checkpoint is a mile away).

EDIT: it could be that: you run into an enemy. He grabs you. if you perform the GTE correctly, he dies. if not, you break free and have to kill him the old fashion way.

obviously Halo has been an action shooter… not sure if I perfer QTEs in it or not…
Though certain elements Like smashing “B” to destroy tanks retains a bit of a QTE feel to it already, don’t you think ?

> > would you mind explaining what you mean by quick time events? It sounds to me that you are talking about cutscenes.
>
> Quick time events are when you have to either press buttons as they appear on screen, or smash a button repeatedly for whatever reason. I believe games like God of War have them alot during boss-fights.
>
> <mark>They’re… not very popular within the video game crowd.</mark>
>
>
>
> > Are actual quick time events even confirmed?
>
> The magazine article way back mentioned that there were some, I’m fairly certain.

Let me correct you on that. It’s not popular with the FPS crowd. Lately games like CoD and BF have been overdoing it with QTE. QTE events are perfect for action/adventure/fighting oriented games like God of War, DBZ, Naruto, Zelda(?), Dark Cloud, Dark Siders, Resident Evil, Dead Space and so on.

If QTE’s must come to Halo, I would prefer of it was done like in Mass Effect’s Paragon/Renegade prompts. Following the prompt earned you an special scene with an added bonus, but not doing it didn’t penalize you, especially if you choose not to do so for ‘role playing purposes’. That’s the only way I can see QTE’s and Halo mixing together well.

I personally love QTEs, as long as they don’t feel too gimmicky. Anyone play Star Wars: The Force Unleashed? It had so much potential, but the QTEs were so redundant and predictable, that it felt like a chore. Instead of feeling “Oh -Yoink- I can crush an AT-ST!!!” it felt like “Oh…boy…I get to press a button to crush an AT-ST…again…the exact same way…as the last 6”…

If they are executed and delivered properly and polished, I think they would be simply amazing in the Halo franchise.

QTE in campaign would be weird, because Halo campaign is open not only for single player but for 2 and even 4 players as well. It’s hard to imagine QTE cutscenes in coop (there are some in CoD, but CoD is far more scripted than Halo), but mashing buttons for opens doors etc could work. There could be QTE is multiplayer as well: in assisinations (similar to chainsaw battles in Gears of War)…
But to honest until I play God of War or other slasher I don’t need QTE at all.